Hello fellow 5-hundy riders

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
mattt

Hello fellow 5-hundy riders

Post by mattt »

Hello all! I've previously been a lurker here just reading threads but never signed up til now. I own a '93 CR500 and it's been with me for over 20 years. At one point 12 years ago, I owned 2 CR500's, one of them being a SH 500AF. I sold it to fund another wheeled toy, but I never let go of my first steel frame. I live in Orange County, CA and have been riding for 25-30 years.

Sad to say I hadn't ridden the 500 in a few years, but that is changing this winter. I'm most of the way thru a top end rebuild on the 93 and already have the cylinder bored O/S and have new piston, rings, pin, bearing, etc. Before dropping the cylinder in place and buttoning up the rebuild, I figured I'd look online and see if there is anything worth doing before putting it back together, "since I'm in there anyway..."

I see there are a few favored 500 gurus like E Gore and the other guy from Canada whose name escapes me right now. Speaking to any fellow Orange County readers/riders....is there anyone local that can work magic on a 500 cylinder? I really don't want to wait for shipping both ways.

Does anyone have a recommendation in Socal to refine this cylinder?

Any recommendations to add to my rebuild, besides the new parts I've already sourced?

I have looked at the MSV exhaust flange as a possible purchase. It seems to me that the aluminum flange would be chaffed, cracked, or compromised by the buzz/rattle of a 500 slug in short time? Anyone run one of these successfully long term, i.e. 5+ years?
I still haven't totally bought into the performance improvement being touted by just changing an exhaust flange.

Thanks for the add here and I look forward to posting more. Any local rides or get togethers ever happen in Socal?

Here is a pic of my old goat.
Attachments
cr500.jpg
cr500.jpg (942.6 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
cowboyona426

Re: Hello fellow 5-hundy riders

Post by cowboyona426 »

Welcome to the funny farm. Adam Millar (Roostius Maximus) is the Canuck you refer too. User blownbillybob I believe is in the SoCal area and does good work as well.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
mattt

Re: Hello fellow 5-hundy riders

Post by mattt »

Thank you cowboyona426