1989 CR500 R/H crankcase cracked

Recount your rebuilds here!
zachwrench

1989 CR500 R/H crankcase cracked

Post by zachwrench »

I tried posting once and it deleted my info so Here's what I got a 1989 CR500 R/H crankcase is cracked at the kickstart shaft area. If anyone has had this repaired on here who do you recommend. Thanks going to try and post a few pics new to imgur
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Last edited by zachwrench on August 16th, 2017, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

fairly common, I've done it twice. Either get it welded up or replace the case.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Rhino89523 wrote:fairly common, I've done it twice. Either get it welded up or replace the case.
Thanks for the reply I talked to a friend about getting it mig welded theres a guy in his shop that is pretty good from what he says and guy at work suggested a boat shop that does prop repairs.

I was just looking to see if there was any shops that have done the repair before. I know its just a welding it up but I don't want a hack job. If anyone has some pics of a shops work and info that would be great to see. I sent some pics to Ken O Coner racing yesterday at there request havent herd back I'll give them a ring tommrrow and go from there.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Yeah just weld it up and while you are in there check this part and make sure it's not cracked
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

When you put everything back together, make the kick start assembly stops by hitting the foot peg and not the inside of the case
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Kuma wrote:When you put everything back together, make the kick start assembly stops by hitting the foot peg and not the inside of the case

I went to check if my kickstart is hitting the foot peg and it's not. It's hitting the clutch cover bolt and also the new clutch cover half I just put on. Doesn't look like I'll be going to the dunes this summer this just turned into another winter project to much on my plate to do a rebuild on this right now.

I was told on ATM this was a direct swap with the newer style clutch cover half I read it is a little wider I trimmed my brake lever I guess I'll need to do the same to the kick start. This time I'm going to take my time and not rush it bike been in storage for almost ten years I guess one more year doesn't matter. Thanks for the info and replies
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

you just need to pull the cover and reclock the kick start ratchet assembly, it's been a while since having mine apart so I'm not much help with details but these engines are really simple to work on. one of the great things of the 2 stroke!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Thanks for the heads up on the kickstart I read my book today I now see where I screwed up the kickstart did come out and I just put it back in I'm guessing the dot on the shaft and ractchet don't line up now.

I should have read my book more I was just in there doing a new clutch cover half due too the water pump area rotted out. I'll pull it apart this weekend just outa curiosity can't tear the engine all the way down until I deal with other things around the house.
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Short update I sent my jug out to Bill good guy to deal with he bumped it up too 91 mm. I went with a vertex piston first time using them usually went with wiesco Bill recommended it after reading some reviews they seam to have a good rep. I ordered some tusk tools too split the case probly won't get to that until after the holidays still remodeling the basement and it's a busy this time of the year at work here's a pic of the jug need to get use to using imugr [/img]
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Well having issues with resizing pics using the iPad I'll try again once I figure it out
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Last edited by zachwrench on November 12th, 2017, 9:20 pm, edited 10 times in total.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Thanks for posting that pic I've been having issues posting pics on here I went and posted a pic on another forum with no issues and I've put up pics before I'll try some later tonight Image
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Bills bore/hone jobs are spot on, the pic does zero justice.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

Rhino89523 wrote:Bills bore/hone jobs are spot on, the pic does zero justice.
He did my friends 86 500 we just got it going last month runs great. I sent mine out shortly after his came back quality work at a good price can't go wrong.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

zachwrench wrote: Image
Remove the ?4 --------------------------^^
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

thanks for posting that pic I dont know what my issue is here just posted pics at another forum no issues :roll: :roll:
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

[/img]Image
zachwrench

Post by zachwrench »

seems imgur edited pics are only ones I have issues with
zachwrench

Re: 1989 CR500 R/H crankcase cracked

Post by zachwrench »

I finally got my bike up and running again the engine has about a hour on it and I'm doing some reading on upgrading my carb. I'm looking at the Keihin pwk 38mm air striker or the 39mm pwk. I will be trail riding and also dune riding at silver lake in michigan it's a small area but better than no dunes to ride. My engine has a port and polish pretty aggressive .080 over running a fmf fatty and turbine core. Most of our riding areas are around 700 ft and I wont't be riding when i'st hotter than hell or freezing balls out. It looks like the pwk 38 a/s comes with #170 main & #55 slow and I believe that is what my bike came with stock I still need to pull it out to confirm.

I"m looking for some opinoins from others that have played the carb swap game any input appreciated I'll see if I can remember how to post pics cause a long over update needs pics
zachwrench

Re: 1989 CR500 R/H crankcase cracked

Post by zachwrench »