New snowbike project

Ping Ping

New snowbike project

Post by Ping Ping »

Hi, I'm building a cr powered snowbike so I thought I'd join up here. The details are not set yet as far as construction. I want to brew my own track kit, and maybe even front suspension, however to start I'll probably use regular forks.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

welcome!
there are a few snowbikes on the site, 'sure you will get some input.
Good luck with your project.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have a 500 powered snowbike. My only real problem so far is cooling on spring days...hopefully handled with a thermostat and a tunnel cooler. Other than that my bike was flawless and worked perfect.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Ping Ping

Post by Ping Ping »

Rhino89523 wrote:I have a 500 powered snowbike. My only real problem so far is cooling on spring days...hopefully handled with a thermostat and a tunnel cooler. Other than that my bike was flawless and worked perfect.
How was the power delivery in snow compared to the 450 efi models?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

No Idea, I have ridden a 450 for a total of about an hour my whole life and I have never ridden a FI bike....I have been on a 500 since about 1988 and my 4 stroke experience is either a 600 or 650 xr.

In general I would say the delivery appears to be typical 500, it doesn't wind out as long and it is not linear....it has a meaty powerband that kicks in killer. When you are climbing you have to stay in the meat of the band, everywhere else it cruises cool. When the power comes on I am not sure what a HP curve says or all that but the thing seems to smoke everything if you can row at the tranny fast enough or adjust your line to keep it in the band.

For me there is no other choice, I am a big boy and until they make a 800cc twostroke that doesn't weigh a million pounds....the 500 is the only way to go,everything else seems expensive and underpowered in comparison....plus the 500 is the only bike I have ever been around that has been this reliable for me other than my XR650R but the XR isn't as powerful and it's heavy.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica