Which carb and pipe for my setup?

Everything fuel spark and hard part regarding the engine. OEM, Aftermarket and custom.
RhodeWarrior

Which carb and pipe for my setup?

Post by RhodeWarrior »

I'm currently setting up my 92 CR500 for hill climbing on the local New England circuit. The hills here are not long and straight like in the midwest, they tend to be shorter and have different levels so it's not always WOT to the top, rather it's a series of levels you jump so I'm on and off the throttle. Looking for the best all around setup for low, mid range and WOT. I have both a Gnarly and a Pro Circuit pipe so I can run either one and I'm purchasing a cool head so I can run VP with the higher compression dome.

I also am replacing my Keihin stock carb which is from 92. After researching the internet and reading whatever threads on this forum that apply, I'm still undecided as to which carb to purchase.

I'm thinking of running the FMF Gnarly with the 41mm Keihin.

The three obvious choices are:

Keihin 39mm
Keihin 41mm
Keihin Air striker 38mm

Which pipe and carb do you guys suggest?

Thanks, Steve
Last edited by RhodeWarrior on November 10th, 2016, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

The 41 is a molested bore 39, not an option.
Airstriker flows higher velocity and the same cfm as a 41
Gnarly is very close to a Fatty with less topend, I'll always choose a fatty, even for singletrack.

Coolhead, not worth it. Give me a shot at cutting your head for 85$

Reeds? Add a spacer to your stock one, 15$ for a 1/4" one from me or you can get a 10mm moose one. VF-2 reed works better than any other, do not consider a vf-3
RhodeWarrior

Post by RhodeWarrior »

Thanks. I heard good things about the airstriker too.

The reason I wanted the cool head was the fact that I could switch back and forth between high and lower compression and it's easy to tap in a compression release.

What do you do to the head? Squish? What about a compression release?
RhodeWarrior

Post by RhodeWarrior »

I meant to say PJ 40
Last edited by RhodeWarrior on November 10th, 2016, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

either way its a bored 39 and the metering block stands up out of the venturi further than intended
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:either way its a bored 39 and the metering block stands up out of the venturi further than intended
Oh... Good point... I hadn't considered that...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.
RhodeWarrior

Post by RhodeWarrior »

Sounds like the Air Striker is the way to go. Thanks