AlisoBob's Gen 4 A/F Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

he's really pushing for that 50k mark in views count... :lol:
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

1234.... :roll:
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

AlisoBob wrote:http://www.amazon.com/TORCO-RFF-FORK-LI ... 587&sr=8-1

I like Torco already... says right on the bottle that " Not all brands of 5wt. oil will behave the same under similar circumstances........"

Wow, the truth. Good job Torco!.
Gottlie speed shop had a top fuel nostalgia dragsters they used to run they were sponsored by redline oils, they would pour out the redline and refill the bottles with torco so when the sponsor was at the races they wanted to see them using there product, they ran out of torco and had to use redline made a pass came back tore down the engine and had a burnt rod, polished the rod journal new set of Babbitt bearings stole some torco and ran the rest of the weekend with no other bearing problems
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
2t500nutter

Post by 2t500nutter »

Nice.. Here in Australia we have a shop called Ballards off road that sells just about everything an AF 500 nut like me could ever want, even custom made alloy bits that usually is only seen on factory bikes.. See that Jeff, I want a discount on tyres from now on..
2t500nutter

Post by 2t500nutter »

I just got a new camera so keep an eye out for some pics, wait till you see my engine jig, scrap metal & bits of truck exhaust pipe to simulate cylinder & casings.. Works well, just looks ugly bolted in a frame..
2t500nutter

Post by 2t500nutter »

I totally agree with Bob on this one.. The Gen 4 billet Y piece is the way to go.. CR's are used a lot in FMX & they don't break in half, the boys who use 250 2 strokes as jump bike are using 07 models with upgraded suspension but the frame is standard & holds up well.. Go Gen 4 if you can, it's an enjoyable project building your own bike & even better the first time you roost a 4 stroke.. But I rode an RM 450 today, brand new & it felt fast, not 2 stroke fast but stable over any type of ground.. A suzuki honda hybrid might be on the cards.. HONDUKI 500 AF or SUZONDA 500 AF.. The suzuki frame looks beefier & the suspension is awesome with no need for mods..
Horible noise & shredded metal inside the crank case.. Time to visit the doctor...
TM 300EN 2009
CR 500 AF 2007 frame 2000 engine
GSXR 1000 2010
2t500nutter

Post by 2t500nutter »

Looks awesome.. All you need now is a set of motard wheels & blast it around the streets.. Well done, Good Job mate..
Horible noise & shredded metal inside the crank case.. Time to visit the doctor...
TM 300EN 2009
CR 500 AF 2007 frame 2000 engine
GSXR 1000 2010
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Thanks.... Yea..... would be a nice street bike.
Collydog76

Twin Spar Fuel Tank

Post by Collydog76 »

Howzit Bob

Been reading your posts for the last few weeks. Excellent work on the AFX, she's a beauty.

Bearing in mind we are near 5 years on I was hoping to find out a bit on the longevity of the bike. I've clearly read about the issues with the original tank mod and the success you had with the heater gun mods. But how did you get on with using the spars on the frame as a tank?

Also the y option you've used appears to be very popular, have you or anyone else had any issues with this mod? I only ask as there are 3 different ways of doing this conversion on this forum alone and with yours having a 5 year beasting under its belt I feel you're best placed to give an objective review.

How did the fluid testing affect your suspension? and have you had any ignition problems from the location of both the cdi and coil?

Otherwise just wanna say great work, if you consider plagiarism to be the highest form of flattery than consider yourself a victim of plagiarism as there will be a Bob replica (granted an R as opposed to X and more MX orientated than Dunes but the building blocks are the same) cruising the tracks of Africa as soon as I get back from this Tour of the Stan.

Cheers
Rob
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:shock:

Wow, this thread is up to 64,000 views.

The bike contuines to perform perfectly. I never did the spar thing as the Acerbis tank and PWK carb combine to provide enough range for most all rides.

Nothing has needed correcting, nothing has needed rework, except for the removal of the "X" model airbox snorkel.

The cornerstone of ANY build is to find a good welder. Thats the key to the whole thing.

Its the easiest build there is, with the exception of the air box adapter, but other guys have adapters now that should work.

Its time for another annual teardown for greasing and such.... let me know if you want any detailed photos while its apart.

Thanks for the compliments, this bike has been trouble free, I'm sure that you will enjoy your version of this build.

Bob
Collydog76

Sweet!!

Post by Collydog76 »

Yeah that would be great. I guess some phots of the Y and lower spar welds would be awesome. What rim on the back are you running (18 or 19 / 2.15 or 2.5) have you had any clearance issues with the chain?
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing thiers, than there is a very real possibility that you havent fully grasped the situation!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

18" with a Maxxis Desert IT 120-100-18

No issues at all.

Heres the whole shooting match, right here...
Collydog76

Teardown

Post by Collydog76 »

Wow . . . She remains an absolute work of art big guy! I've just bought a second chassis and shall convert both my 250 and 500 side by side. In the long run it should pay off as I never plan to sell either and the compatibility in chassis parts will reduce the amount of crap I have to keep on hand by half.
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing thiers, than there is a very real possibility that you havent fully grasped the situation!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Comin' up on 70k views.... crazy.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Well, Rhino drove off into the sunset, with my baby...

He did leave me a rather large stack of $100's..... but time will tell if that will heal my wounds.

I just want the bike to get ridden..... and Rhino says thats not going to be a problem.

Thanks guys... for all your support, and good times.

Bob
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Thanks Bob....don't worry I'm going to ride the wheels off this thing.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Tomorrow we ride...taken the last whatever amount of time to get it all the way I like it.

Plastic is all black now...I know everyone hates black but thats what I ride. and all the factory stuff was stored away.

Motor is bone stock, top end, carb, reeds, pipe...all stock

Suspension all fresh, every moving part greased...took this sucker down to the frame and rebuilt every piece. replaced the one motor mount bolt that wasn't factory hardware with a Honda flanged 10mm x 160mm because I'm a nut for Honda Hardware.

Bob built a hell of a nice bike and took good care of this machine, I just went through it all because this thing is about to enter a very hard life. I made it mine, controls, cables, grips...It's all exactly what I like and ready to get abused until the next tear down before Hoonfest in about 6 months.

Thanks again Bob!!!

It's on....Tomorrow we ride!!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I like that one....pretty much exactly how I like it!!!

Kind of looks like a girl I hung around with for a while who was Polish and Spanish....so hot and such a pain in the ass. Like a pit-bull golden retriever cross...internal turmoil in her head right out of the gate.

I can't wait to rip this thing, it feels amazing but I can't wait to really put it through the paces and get it dialed in to me.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

All dressed up.... time for a beating.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Like a business suit. Haha
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Riding impressions.

This thing fucking turns!!! If I was racing the old me on my steely I could stuff it inside my old self and blast so easy. The vibes are minimal they seem to vibrate at a slightly different resonance but they don't bother me at all. All the motor crap is exactly what I am used to feels cool. The cockpit feels awesome, the footpeg placement is perfect. Suspension I am still dialing in but feels killer. All and all I am very happy and the big difference is this thing Turns!!!!
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

AlisoBob wrote:Image
Holy shit !
The wife has slapped me for looking at less.
Probably cut the balls off if I turned my head at her :)
Btw-very nice bike.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Rode it again last night, tweaking a little on suspension. I can't believe how well it turns and yet it's totally stable. Hasn't head shook me yet...and this thing tracks straight through the whoops. I rode Friday and mixed it up with some dudes running expert plates...no problem hanging. I can't wait to run with a few of my buddies to see where I am really at. I've always been pretty good in the woods or rocks, but this thing seems to have upped my game a little everywhere. Hoping to ride Wednesday after work and for sure after work Friday. This thing is going to be dialed!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

....told ya' .

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

The "X" model has different geometry than the "R"

Its the best of the Gen 4's.... for all around riding.