Fastonthetrack's CR500AF - 04 CRF250R

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
fastonthetrack

Fastonthetrack's CR500AF - 04 CRF250R

Post by fastonthetrack »

Ok so heres my build. Shes almost finished up now. I've been working on her for a few weeks on the weekends only, whilst waiting on parts to come during the week.

I started with an 04 CRF250R chassis less the engine and a few small items. Unknown to me at the time that the subframe was actually an 06 (dual exhaust and different air box) making the air box conversion a little tricky. I made what i had work when it came to that.

I did all of the work in house (using the CP500 kit) and didnt have to out source anything except engine machining. Heres the beginning portion of the process.

SO, I had the 04 mod plate instead of the 06.. I put it together like this and then just shaved away the excess material.

I mounted the Coil here (fully welded later on. Both sides of course)

Exhaust mounts look factory IMO

Got some cheap China hoses, factory CR500 kit worked great.

More pics and info on next post.
fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

I got the engine bored and honed out to 89.5mm (one step over stock .020) using wiseco poston kit. Got the bike altogether and running. Was having starting issues due to lack of fuel most likely. Started 5-6th kick. I did two heat cycles then went for a cruise around the block. She rips. Let cool once more and went to start, CATASTROPHIC FAILURE!!! got a nasty kick back, low and behold

Split the right main and case cover..

I was able to repair the main case with some tricky welding and filing, bought a new right case cover and gasket kit.. Had the engine back together in less than 2 hours.

After that dilemma i was worried about the same thing happening again so i sent my head out to Adam Millar at MillAr Race Engines to have a decompression head mod and a new squish angle machined.

So the engine is now assembled minus the head (i should get it any day now)

I also bought a few goodies while waiting. A little billet never hurt anyone. I also have coil and clutch covers coming to complete the engine.

I also bought a 2.9 Gallon Acerbis tank i had to heat up and mold to clear the spark plug and coolant lines.

fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

All in all heres a list off the top of my head of the things i purchased for the build

CP500 conversion kit
CP500 conversion tank ( i wont use )
Wiseco top end kit
Full gasket and seal kit
Right side case cover
Boyesen clutch cover
Boyesen ignition cover
OEM CR500 Clutch cable
misc carb parts for rebuilt
IMS shifter
Hammerhead brake pedal
Shark fin billet rear rotor guard
Acerbis 2.9 gallon tank
Honda CRF full hardware kit
Water pump rebuilt kit
CR500 Hose kit Red
Machine work for new top end
MRE Head (decompression and squish angle mod)
OEM CR500 Kick starter (old one was CRUSTY)
1999 CR250 air box and filter assembly
Pro Circuit platinum and T304 silencer
New set of Stock CRF250 wheels (dune tires)
Acerbis Fender bag

The typical oils, lubes and fluids
And of course some Sunoco race fuel!!!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

just a thought, make sure your kick start lever hits the foot peg and the mechanism is not binding up in the case.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

Kuma wrote:just a thought, make sure your kick start lever hits the foot peg and the mechanism is not binding up in the case.
Mechanically everything works as if it should. I got the cases back in order and inspected everything. nothing was out of the ordinary minus the kick starter stopper was a little cracked, which i replaced.

Heres what the bike looked like last night once i got her able to run again with the new head and decomp...

ImageImage
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Wow!
Like what you did.
Thanks for posting.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.
riverman

Post by riverman »

I have seen those case breaks twice now. What in the hell is causing it. Did the decomp help.
fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

Yes the decomp is huge. i don't foresee that happening again.. its pretty common for that to happen from what i understand.
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Nice!!
riverman

Post by riverman »

Check the kick starter shaft. I got new cases and was putting it back to gather and sure enough the shaft was binding. Took it to work put it in a lathe to check it and it is bent.
fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

riverman wrote:Check the kick starter shaft. I got new cases and was putting it back to gather and sure enough the shaft was binding. Took it to work put it in a lathe to check it and it is bent.
I split the cases and inspected it all.. The problem was a nasty kick back.
Jercs

Post by Jercs »

fastonthetrack,

Just curious, how come you won't be using the modified fuel tank you purchased from us? Did you just need more usable fuel? How well did the Acerbis heat up and mold?

If the modified fuel tank is still in the condition that we sent it out in then you're more than welcome to send it back for a refund.

Thanks for sharing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

CP500
www.conversionparts500.com
fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

Jercs wrote:fastonthetrack,

Just curious, how come you won't be using the modified fuel tank you purchased from us? Did you just need more usable fuel? How well did the Acerbis heat up and mold?

If the modified fuel tank is still in the condition that we sent it out in then you're more than welcome to send it back for a refund.

Thanks for sharing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

CP500
www.conversionparts500.com
I didn't use it because of the small capacity. I still have it and my use it for the track.

All of your parts are top notch. I just finished another conversion for a buddy using a 1987 engine.
fastonthetrack

Post by fastonthetrack »

Oh and the acerbic tank was very easily modified. Took me about 20 mins to get it just right.