Custom Swingarm Build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
XTREMIST

Custom Swingarm Build

Post by XTREMIST »

looking to build a different type of swingarm for my bike. it currently has a stock swingarm that i cut in half and added 14 inches to it. it works really really well but i did it fairly quickly and have decided id like to build a really nice custom one similar ish to the one on the picture. whats your opinion 4130 chromoly or 6061-t6 aluminum pipe.

also need to decide what im doing with the suspension, either sticking with a single shock and linkage, single shock and hard mount like a ktm or doing some engineering and making a smaller piggyback shock off of the large shock and fabbing up a custom linkage. if you have an idea or opinion feel free to share it, prob going to start in a week or two when i get some free time !

Image (swingarm concept idea)

Image (my bike as it sits now)
XTREMIST
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

NEVER seen a chain guide on top before????????? :roll:
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I have, Its brilliant

No more tagging the chain when you run the bolted lugs!
XTREMIST

Post by XTREMIST »

i designed and put it on because i was getting wicked chain slap on my tire..... if you look closely in front of the guide theres a set of ears welded on with a greaseable sprocket, works AWESOME !
XTREMIST
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Just curious, what is the main reason you want to replace the swingarm?
Is it a mechanical reason or just for looks, or both?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.
XTREMIST

Post by XTREMIST »

mostly just for looks. I've never had a problem with this one. Have just never seen one like what i want to build on a dirtbike... and i just plain like to fabricate stuff in my spare time (which there is never enough of)
XTREMIST
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Either material will work fine as long as it is correctly designed.
Assuming the current shock linkage and shock is working fine I would design around that concept for ease of design.
That being said, if you just want something different and you like to fabricate the sky's the limit.... What can you come up with? :cool:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.
XTREMIST

Post by XTREMIST »

the suspension setup thats on it works not bad, but it is a bit on the soft side for my liking. if i can stiffen it up the bike should climb better even then it does now (which would be a feat imo) so im debating putting a piggy back shock on - custom design and build and entirely new linkage to incorporate the second shock.
XTREMIST
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Not a big surprise considering the leverage that big swingarm has over the shock.
Perhaps a new spring and valving would fix you up...
Then again, I'd love to see you custom fab something.
You might want to PM others here that have been where your at or, contact one of the suspension companies. No doubt someone has the info you need.