Aluminum sleeve

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
81cr450

Aluminum sleeve

Post by 81cr450 »

I know this isn't a popular idea with most cr5 guys but if anyone has tried it I'd like to hear about it. I have the thin sleeve 86 cylinder & there's a new aluminum sleeve out that seems like a great idea . My k5 runs really cool & the plating seems to last longer. The new AL sleeve is for the latter cylinders but I should be able to port match right?
motardcr500

Post by motardcr500 »

I'm pretty sure Roost has done it... I'd shoot him a PM
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I'll try to make you a link or proper post for it. Takes a fair bit of labor to install.
81cr450

Post by 81cr450 »

Awesome thanks Roost, man I say that like every time I get on here. So is it worth it? Not afraid of labor.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

k, I'm too lazy/busy to link each picture today :lol:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=BD4AA268 ... 2E9%213844

The base of the sleeve needs to be broken off to start with
I center off the base of the cylinder from known dimensions.
I didnt have the room to bore striat out the top so I went most of the way, flipped the cylinder and bored it top down, then invert it again and bore the counterbore for the aluminum sleeve.
Install the sleeve cold from the freezer and cylinder on a hot plate, you'll have plenty of time to locate the port alignment.
port or match what you wish, I tig the base of the sleeve in a few places just becasue i can.
Deck the cylinder and you're left sitting at a 88mm or so finish. Millenium charges the same to bore the cylinder up to size so don't get too concerned with finishing it. They'll like it to be +.007" of intended bore size but they also like to not have impurities imbedded in it so it must not be honed to size.
81cr450

Post by 81cr450 »

Badass , that port work looks sweet. Must be worth doing if you've commited that much effort in fixturing the Rotler to do it. Can millennium do deck plate honing & how big of piston you running with that sleeve. Thanks
motardcr500

Post by motardcr500 »

I told you Roost would know :D
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I set them up with standard bore, I've sent w torque plate to Millenium with advise to keep it for future work, hopefully they think to use it for other guys projects too.
I have a cabinet of fixtures made now, haha.
81cr450

Post by 81cr450 »

I'll bet you have a cabinet full of fixturing , just stumbled on some photos of the cases & covers you've repaired , damn you got skill. Pm's from kx riders & here
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

so far mine is working good
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish