electric start!!

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
jr mods

electric start!!

Post by jr mods »

Alright. The question is, how many of you would like an easy button? The kit cost would be roughly $500 less electrical system (12v lighting coil and battery) KTM style stator side bolt on kit. It will be a 100 part run in order to recoup from the engineering and production costs. In progress as we speak. If there are not enough interested riders this will be a one off piece. 100 is the base line. If there's more.. well maybe this will be the start of something big and kit costs can be cheaper! Tell me what you think!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

pictures or drawings would be nice, I don't think you are going to get too many commitments without.
I know there are some people interested not sure if 100? I for 1 no issues kicking but I can definitely see where it would be handy, you should look into offering the whole package, battery setup and a charging system.
God luck, I love seeing innovations for our dinosaurs!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
louis mielke

Post by louis mielke »

proof of concept is really a necessity with this.

You'll get plenty of hecklers sayings who needs it, but for every heckler there's probably 3-4 people who would buy it if it was reasonable.

Unfortunately talk of doing it isn't enough, drawings and pictures of something real will be required to get people on board.
"Don't worry, it will grow back!"
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

With due respect for your opinion. Sketches I can and would provide. I know I'm not the only one wanting this, nor am I the only one wanting to engineer one with the ability to. For that reason, technical drawings of the design and photots of progress are a no go. Photos of finished working peice may be available come spring. There's a lot of time and money invested. Please understand I'm not trying to sell this on the forum or looking for any type of deposit. Just an honest opinion of what amount people are willing to pay and how many to justify whether or not a long run of these will be produced or if it will be one off.

I thought of a complete kit utilizing a Service Honda lighting coil and ballistic battery(which is what I use), but cost would be dramatically increased to over $1000. I want to keep the price as reasonable as possible. A high profit margin isn't a goal, breaking even is.. hence the goal of 100 peices. If the poll suggests I could reach that number, they will be made. If the price needs to be cheaper for people to buy, I'll need a higher amount of demand.
louis mielke

Post by louis mielke »

forgive me as I don't mean this as heckling like I'm sure it reads.

I think the point is until there's something physical to see, your thread is nothing but words that mean little to anyone here.

I mean honestly anyone of us can sketch up a theoretical e-start setup for these engines but its nothing but vapor ware until something really gets done. Some kind of physical proof. Even some 3D drawings in google sketchup would be something instead of nothing.

It's the kind of thing you should just quietly get a prototype done and wow everyone when you come out of no where with pics and videos of a proof of concept prototype. That's when you'll really be able to get a gauge on interest.
"Don't worry, it will grow back!"
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

I got ya man. I'll see what I can do. I would really hate for all this hard work to be stolen. The majority of the money invested has been engineering. If it wasn't for that.. well there wouldn't have been a question about having pictures posted.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

is it similar to the KX500 electric start?
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

I've seen the kx electric start, yesn, similar in concept.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I believe it will also be as in-depth as the KX with ignition mapping required.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I dont see you having a problem selling these...... you get a proven kit together, you would sell them all day long online. I'd love one, but I dont have the $ to work with right now.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

I don't believe ignition mapping would be required, though I may learn when it comes to testing.. we'll see.
TecRider

Post by TecRider »

jr mods wrote:I got ya man. I'll see what I can do. I would really hate for all this hard work to be stolen. The majority of the money invested has been engineering. If it wasn't for that.. well there wouldn't have been a question about having pictures posted.
I understand the want for confidentiality, but a short video of a working unit would be your best sales aid.
I for one, would be very interested in purchasing one.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

not trying to rain on your parade... I hope you arent using any ktm 2stroke parts or design, because they are complete pos and rarely work after a few hundred starts, not just a little part worn, everything about it is completely mangled (including the case)

give any 7 year old a crayon and they can design something better than the ktm setup

if you must use their design at least put bearings in it, in an oil bath
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

2strokeforever wrote:not trying to rain on your parade... I hope you arent using any ktm 2stroke parts or design, because they are complete pos and rarely work after a few hundred starts, not just a little part worn, everything about it is completely mangled (including the case)

give any 7 year old a crayon and they can design something better than the ktm setup

if you must use their design at least put bearings in it, in an oil bath
I know several riders with KTM 300's with electric start. More than half of them sound like they are seasoning the gearbox with shavings like a pepper grinder. Most of those try it every now and again only to be reminded of the sound and non-functionality and resort to kicking it anyway.

Terrible.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

You have my interest.
Hopefully you can grab my attention when it works!
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have no problem kicking my bike....but if a button start became available at a decent price I would buy it. I don't need to see your drawings or anything, if you make one and it works good on your bike and the numbers are where you say you think they can be just sign me up for one now.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
GB1073

Electric start

Post by GB1073 »

I am very interested as well, please keep us informed of your progress. My son & I each have a CR500 AFC and would like to have ES. I believe there would be enough interest in the CR500 world to consume 100 kits & then some.
other

electric start

Post by other »

Yep, I'd be interested as well, assuming price remains around the stated figure, and it's not an adapted Kato system. I actually started fabricating an ES system based on the 510TE Husqvarna model, (starter acting on the clutch drive gear, not ignition side) figuring that this gave strength and lubrication all in one. Only drama was it had to be used in conjunction with fuel injection, as the starter motor needs to sit right where the float bowl is, and I still haven't got the FI even close to sorted !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
GB1073

Post by GB1073 »

Ok, so got the word from the doctor today. I broke through a rotten wooden deck a few months back with my right leg, lots of pain. X-rays & MRI showed a torn knee cartilage as well as existing arthritis. The Surgeon does not believe surgery is going to relieve the pain, so is not recommending it at this time. He is Recommending physical therapy instead. Mean while I have not been riding, electric start will be even more important for my AFC 500 now.
Jr mods,
I hope that you have been making progress, please let us know. :D
Rolling20s

Post by Rolling20s »

sign me up for a minimum of two kits! Might be able to sell a couple more for ya. Let me know when you have some sort of mock up, picture, etc. If you make a magic button happen, minimum two for me, but would love to see progress as it happens if possible :)