Gen1 cr125 questions

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
funke5372

Gen1 cr125 questions

Post by funke5372 »

Ok guys so it's been awhile since I've sold my last 500 and I need another! I've been reading up and doing my research, but I can't seem to find any gen1 (98/99) cr125 builds? Anyone can enlighten me on any builds they are aware of in the forums would be alot of help! Before you call me out and wonder why I'm doing it with a gen 1 cr125... Is well because I have said title for that gen 1 and said title is street legal and I've always wanted an AF of my own plus I've wanted a sumo to! Thanks for any help! :D
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

Feel free to correct me, with the 250 frame it is pretty much plug and play. The 125 has a different cradle. Would seem like a simple fix, just bend new lower cradle tubes? Unless I am missing something?
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
funke5372

Post by funke5372 »

Yes I do know the 1st gen 250 frames are pretty much plug and play with the exception of the front engine mounts. I would think you could bend the frame and shoehorn it in there. But I'm trying to figure out the cleanest way I can do this....maybe get the rails cut off totally and use the cr250 rails? It's just I have never seen this build go on before and I'm wondering if there's a reason why?
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

The reason it's not done much is because you need new frame rails. If you're going to go to that trouble, you might as well do a newer frame.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
funke5372

Post by funke5372 »

Ok so it would need whole new frame rails. Is the geometry the same in both the first gen 250 and 125 I hear 125's just have a tighter rake?
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

I want to say that I had read about pipe to front tire contact issues on a few 125 builds?
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
funke5372

Post by funke5372 »

Yes I have heard the pipe will sometimes make contact with the front tire while the suspension is compressed. I think it has to do with the tighter rake from what I have read so far. But could anyone give me the inner diameters of the back mounting point of the cr500 engine both pre 89 engine and 89 to 01 if ya have them on hand thanks!