pre 89 motor

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
BluebyNight

pre 89 motor

Post by BluebyNight »

Is it worth doing an AF build with a pre 89 motor? Ive been wanting to get moving on this project for a while and it looks like I have a line on an 87 or 88 500 engine ( the seller doesn't know what year the bike was). I don't have an AF frame yet. My plan was to get the motor 1st.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Should be fine, just plan to get a new clutch side case housing the water pump, they can still be had for around $200
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
BluebyNight

Post by BluebyNight »

Ok. The guy is asking 350.00 for it and it supposedly has the pipe and carb. Don't know yet what else there is. Ive been having trouble meeting up with him on my weird schedule and he is a bit of a flake. I'll assume the whole thing needs rebuilt but with a new clutch case that will def add a bunch. Ive talked to another guy that has a 95' motor but both cases are cracked :roll:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

fitting the 1989+ pipe on 1985-88 cylinders gets very tight by the reed. The carb boot can also be an issue.
BluebyNight

Post by BluebyNight »

Yeah that was one of my concerns from reading some of the older posts. Allthough it seems like guys have had success with it . Roostus> from a performance standpoint what do you think of the 87-88s compared to the later engines?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

87 is wide trans, same porting, same ignition, same head. They have more compression and less crankcase compression than the newer engines and breathe the boost port a little better.
1988 has the same sprocket splines as a '14 :wink:

It really depends on what you want to do with the bike.
Having said that, the 1989-01 is a better platform cost and fitment wise. I forgot to mention it earlier but the rear bushings are smaller in 1985-88 models too.