Forming the Fuel Tank

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

What did you "seal" the original outlet with, displaced plastic?
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:shock: :shock:
Nice work, I hope it doesn't leak anywhere.
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
brebel

Post by brebel »

The old outlet was 'consumed' by the molten plastic,those brass threads are still in there somewhere ! I did this mod nearly 2 years ago now and there has been no leaks I have to say though the inside ain't so pretty but it still holds just over 8 litres and every last drop gets used because of the positioning of the outlet. I can also use a standard length plug whereas I was restricted to a 'shorty' plug with the other tank.
skinart

Post by skinart »

Hey guys, my original tank has started to leak where it has been modified and Im going to buy a new tank ...

is there a certain tank that would better suit the SH CR500AF 2005? And does it just use a normal CR250F tank with a pushed in bottom?

There are no tanks local in Australia for a good price ... so il probablyu have to order one from the U.S ....

None of you guys modify these for a fee do you? lol I dont trust myself doing this type of mod ...

Great thread btw, good pictures!

Thanx guys
homenf

Post by homenf »

Remove the tank. When tank is empty and cleaned out of all the gas, heat it up and seal the hole. If you plan on buying another one anyway it won't hurt.

I plugged two big holes I created myself trying to form it. Have a nice flat tool that fits inside the tank. I used a 1" x 16" steel rod so I had that flat surface on the inside of the tank to help close up the holes.

If you need to buy one, and it is a real service honda, they should sell you the part. They don't seem very friendly to the guys who built their own but that may have changed by now.
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."
skinart

Post by skinart »

ohhh so you can repair a tank just by remelting it huh? I didn't know that!

Thing is, its not a big hole ... the fuel ... or oil for that matter only seeps out very very slow .... it will never even leave a drip hanging from the tank ... its just moist all the time, and mainly just oil as i think the fuel evaporates by the time it seeps out.

Here is a pic of the tank, and you can see its kind of wet along the modified section ...

Il give the tank a real good scrub with degreaser, soap and water, and then refill it and watch for a leak ... maybe il give it some compressed air to help speed up the leak.

And as far as I know its a real SH, it has the SH frame tag on it, and also has all the paperwork I got from the orginal importer.

But is SH really this rough on modifieing the tank? lol looks liek a back yard job ...

sorry for the bad photo, my camera sux.

hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

skinart wrote: But is SH really this rough on modifieing the tank? lol looks liek a back yard job ...
:stir: :eatdrink:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hoofarted wrote:
skinart wrote: But is SH really this rough on modifieing the tank? lol looks liek a back yard job ...
:stir: :eatdrink:
Yes
homenf

Post by homenf »

I don't think it was the camera that makes that look bad. Hope by heating and pressing two flat surfaces together to seal the bad area together does it.
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

Its funny that people think Service Honda is some Honda Factory making the AF bikes. Its a guy with very little fab skills at a Honda dealership in Indiana. Thats all nothing more no fancy wands to wave to make there bikes look like HONDA made them. Just a sticker that says it was made by SH in the USA... :roll:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

pstoffers wrote:Its funny that people think Service Honda is some Honda Factory making the AF bikes. Its a guy with very little fab skills at a Honda dealership in Indiana. Thats all nothing more no fancy wands to wave to make there bikes look like HONDA made them. Just a sticker that says it was made by SH in the USA... :roll:
It had me fooled for a long time.

That little sticker and the fact that Honda hasn't sued for them to stop using their name. I guess it's not who you know but who you blow.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

[quote=""SOLID Bro!!""] I guess it's not who you know but who you blow.[/quote]

Ghey Jeff
skinart

Post by skinart »

pstoffers wrote:Its funny that people think Service Honda is some Honda Factory making the AF bikes. Its a guy with very little fab skills at a Honda dealership in Indiana. Thats all nothing more no fancy wands to wave to make there bikes look like HONDA made them. Just a sticker that says it was made by SH in the USA... :roll:
Well I guess I was fooled, until I have read your post ...
I thought since it had the trade marked Honda name in there company name, that it was directly connected with Honda .... I can't believe Honda allow that to be honest ....

It all makes a little more sence now though, when I first bought the bike I thought it was a tagged home made job lol

Thank you for the info guys
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

thanks for sharing that Bob, just what I needed to read after making a mess of my first tank, I did exactly what you said DONT do, it would have been great if I found your instructions earlier but i learnt the hard way.

I have a clarke on order so this is good to know.

Cheers

Scotty
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The Acerbis forms the easiest.....
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

AlisoBob wrote:The Acerbis forms the easiest.....
Unfortunately it was paid for prior to reading this, isnt hindsight great :roll:

I will ask first in future.
Building my own and always waiting for parts
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Just thought I'd but a link onto this thread to another tank mood thread, hope ya don't mind Bob.
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... php?t=6441
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!