gen 2 500 build questions on frame strength

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
scottkusch

gen 2 500 build questions on frame strength

Post by scottkusch »

I'm getting started in my 2000 cr250r frame build.I'm curious on different ways to do it I'm looking for the strongest possible way without buying a kit because the hardest thing to me is moving the y pipe up...
could I get away with just making the opening bigger or do I have to move it up.
also should I replace the entire bottom rail with the mounts or just replace the top mounts?
also the heads they can I use a factory head stay or fabricate something different?
and the coil can I use a CR 250 oil do I have to use the 500?

right now I'm more concerned about vibrations cracking the frame where should my focus point be?
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

From what I have seen doing the frame rail and everything looks more Factory.

I have seen the Y opened up to fit but you will have to add gussets like a butterfly wings on the outside of the Y.

In my case the rails were completely redone, however I did case a big double jump really hard and cracked well broke the top part of the Y completely around, a 1/4 gap. Thank god for head stays. Now I have a doubler or a 1/8 plate welded front and back at that spot.

This was a few years ago, several races since but I haven't cased anything that hard since. Other than flat landing from about 12 feet fractruing my right arm, and wrist still and never will be same. Good thing am left handed I suppose.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
scottkusch

Post by scottkusch »

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=cr500%20 ... sion&sm=1o it broke up top by the radiator mount?
I think it's easier to do it the way this guy did it.....
But I'm concerned on how weak it will be ne a r the bottom mount even if I weld a smaller piece inside the frame then on the outside...