clutch won't disengage

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
other

Post by other »

They're $153 in from a dealer in Australia. . . . $40 is a bloody bargain !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

So have you had to replace that before? Did it cause you the same problem I'm having?
The clutch plates and springs came yesterday... but idk about installing everything if it's just going to have to come apart again, and use another gasket, and another bottle of oil.
Thanks for the advice on this. If you can't tell, this is my first time troubleshooting or repairing a motorcycle engine.
-NF-
01 Tomos Targa LX (stolen)
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
87 Honda CR500R (basket case)
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

After doing a lot more reading about other member's clutch issues, and set ups I'm kind of concerned about putting the filed clutch basket back in :( Even though I can buy a new basket, I can't find the clutch center hub for the old clutch design that roostious maximus pointed out that my bike has, and the manual recomends replacing them as a pair. The good news is that the side cover is the 44.5mm 90-01 part! So I'm all set to switch over to the updated clutch, right?
Now the question is what parts do I need to complete this conversion, and what brands are going to perform the best and last the longest?
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

you should have no problem filing the basket as long as you are not trying to file a 10 mm grove out
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
other

Post by other »

Sorry man, missed this post. . . . Yes I replaced one, but no, it wasn't displaying the same symptoms as yours. Yours is clearly an issue with the assembled length of the push rod. Mine worked perfectly, but as I was rebuilding it anyway, and the item was showing some wear, I just replaced it as a matter of course. In all honesty, I could have stuck the old one back in, and not known the difference in operation, but I'm just a fussy fucker . . . . . Good luck with yours dude, I hope you sort it.
Gregrobo is right, filed baskets work ok, as long as you are REALLY careful filing them. Make sure the faces are all parallel, and that the plate fingers are touching ALL the filed surfaces at once, not one before the others, otherwise you will suffer wear on just that one, and that will be enough to cause horror clutch drag . . . . Do it slow, do it careful, and it'll be fine.
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

Unfortunately it's already been done, and idk if it was done carefully enough, because my friend let me do some of the work to teach me. I've been accused of being a perfectionist, so I cringe at the thought of leaving it to chance.... that, and the idea of a broken plate chewing up the inside of my motor :shock:
Besides, if I take a close look at it, and it's really OK, I will just use it on the other one when I start putting it together. I don't plan to spend as much just to get that one to run, but one at a time. I'm not made of money, but I don't want to go cheap on this street legal bike I'm working on right now.
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

filing the basket is not too difficult, just don't go below the grooves that are already there and you should be fine, that said, it is amazing what a difference a new aftermarket clutch basket feels like on the lever :wink:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

That's what I would really like to do. I'm especially interested in this 250 clutch connversion 2strokeforever, and roostious_maximus said they have. I want to know exactly what the part number is for the stainless steel basket, and how much it needs to be modified
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

What did the lever end of the push rod look like? I had to machine a new bushing for the input shift (lever end) my push rod was torn up and the lever looked just like yours all rounded over. I've had the motor apart before and replaced the pushrod once, but never noticed that there was a bushing. SAE 80 grade oil impregnated sintered bronze is what I made the new one out of. Couple thousandths clearance in the bore for oil, a hair oversized to semiprecious into the shaft and 7/16ths long. No factory part number or microfiche detail of this part. Comes as an assembly with the input shaft.

I'd post pictures but I can't figure out how to get them from my phone.[/img]
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

Image[/img]

This is what mine looked like.
-because of this bushingImage

This is the new bushing installedImageImage
jr mods

Post by jr mods »

..hope this is some help.
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

Thanks for the info, but I might not need it, because I'm replacing the whole clutch with 250 parts.

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... hp?t=13790

I don't remember the lifter rod being scored like at, so hopefully that bushing is fine. I will check when I go to install the new clutch though. I'm just waiting to get the kicker gear installed in the basket, then I have to figure out the length of the new lifter rod. I will post about this in the linked thread when I finally get to installing everything, but I have been working 70 hours a week, and the bike isn't stored at my house (no garage), so it's been tough to find time.
-NF-
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)