2005 CRF450X build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
JB

2005 CRF450X build

Post by JB »

So i finally got off my ass and made a start.

Quick test fit

New rails and engine mounts

Welding

10mm exhaust spacer to help clearance around the Y piece
JB

Post by JB »

Also been talking to the Australian Transport Department and a motorbike engineer for the past 6 months and finally got approval to get it road registered.
All i have left to do is get the headstay and radiator brackets welded on, and throw it all back together.
Anyone have any ideas how the power delivery will change running a 10mm reed spacer and a 10mm exhaust spacer??
JB

Post by JB »

Radiators are all done

Starting to come together

What does everyone else run for throttle setups? Can you just use the pull side of the CRF push pull setup?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

..just a regular ol' 250 / 500 cc throttle housing.

Like the head stay.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

..just a regular ol' 250 / 500 cc throttle housing.

Like the head stay.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

how hard was it to get road approval
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
JB

Post by JB »

Gregrobo, Not sure how it is in other states, but Queensland was pretty easy.
First i applied to queensland transport for proposed mods(just filling a form out), they got back to me saying i needed to get an engineer to say the proposed changes were going to be up to standards. So i borrowed some build photos off here to show him what i was doing (raising the Y piece and new rails and mounts) and he wrote me a report to give to the transport department saying he was happy with the design.
Got a letter back from transport saying all was good to go, welded in the new cradle and mounts and got back onto the engineer to see what the next step was, all he had to do was inspect the frame/welds and write me a letter saying he was happy with it. I didn't need to get a mod plate or anything, just need to keep copies of the 2 approval letters (transport and engineers).
It sounds like alot of effort but it wasn't, just alot of time wasted waiting to here back from people.
The things that made it easy was that it was a 450x (had been registered before) and going from 450cc to 491cc is less than 10% bigger in cc's, and the 500 engine was lighter than the 450.
No doubt you could do it with any CRF but it would cost you more $ in engineers.
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

Is that headstay off of a 250? Even the aluminum block, or is that something you fabbed up yourself?

How about the frame rails, did you bent them or were you able to find them pre-bent? If you did it yourself, what are the specs of the aluminum stock you used?

Thanks.
2004 CRF450R | KTM 300 XC-W | XR100 minimoto | GSX-R 600 track | VFR800 street
JB

Post by JB »

Headstay was from conversionparts500.com to suit crf250x conversion, little short but just had to make aluminum block to suit.
I tried to buy my rails and mounts off pstoffer first, he said because someone stole his design and was making them cheaper, he wasn't doing them anymore. So i'd hate to say it, but i bought the kit from the design thief on ebay.
JB

Post by JB »

Progress has been slow lately

Got the stock hubs painted so i could keep the stock speedo drive, and laced with excel rims
JB

Post by JB »

New wheels turned out nice

ct350trx

Post by ct350trx »

Nice :cool:
JB

Post by JB »

First startup since topend was done, was a little bit nervous about the .0025" piston clearence but all went well.
My wife come outside to see what all the noise was and took a pic of my fat ass.

JB

Post by JB »

Bronson

Post by Bronson »

very nice. Congrats!
2004 CRF450R | KTM 300 XC-W | XR100 minimoto | GSX-R 600 track | VFR800 street
JB

Post by JB »

Having problems with fouling plugs and lots of spooge, jetted 55/170 pj carb, stock engine. Have not done a leak down test yet, but its not using any gearbox oil.
The only thing i can think of is i am running the 450x air filter and cage with the backfire screen still in, would the backfire screen restricting flow make it run rich??
other

Post by other »

Mine is an 08 X model, and I'm using the CRF filter no problem. Dump the backfire screen (reed valve on a 2T prevents any possibility of igniting the filter), and most importantly, remove the snorkel off the top of the airbox, and cut the whole top of the box out. Because I retained my battery, I couldn't open the top enough, so I also drilled a couple of 32mm dia holes on the top RHS of the airbox, behind that goofy cover. Without this, the engine chokes at high revs. I would also say that 55 is a bit rich on the pilot, depending on altitude, temperature, riding type etc. In a 39 PWK, mine is still a bit rich with a 50 pilot at 140m ASL in Perth Australia, where we regularly ride at temperatures around 100 degrees F (35-36 C).

Great looking bike, by the way !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
JB

Post by JB »

Thanks, just the info i was chasing. I'll give that a try this weekend.
What setup are you running for charging your battery?
other

Post by other »

Ricky Stator 25 Watt charge coil. (Actually measures nearly 30 W output at high revs ! ) With the battery fully charged, and the stock Honda headlight on full bore, it takes over 6 hours solid riding for the demand to flatten the battery, and the light starts to dim a bit (keeps on working though). Up till then, it's perfect. That includes running all the peripheral shit like brake and tail lights, indicators, Vapor etc etc. I don't know how fit and strong you are, but on a 500, my energy has deserted me long before the lights do ! !
JB

Post by JB »

Wish i would have known that before i bought the service honda setup, stupid rabbit kick does not work for me, only a rediculously hard kick can get it running. I haven't tested the lighting output but i am not real impressed with it, still need to use a battery charger inbetween rides.
other

Post by other »

Yep, I still have one of those P.O.S Service Honda units sitting in a box here. Turned my 2-kicks-from-cold CR500 into a 25-kicks-from-hot-or-cold CR500. When the bike finally sparked up, it ran pretty good, but I didn't like the heavy flywheel all that much. Took all the snap out of the power delivery.
The lighting coils are supposed to be rated at 130 Watts on the SH units. I hope so, as I'm going to be running it on my fuel-injected motor . . .
JB

Post by JB »

other wrote:Mine is an 08 X model, and I'm using the CRF filter no problem. Dump the backfire screen (reed valve on a 2T prevents any possibility of igniting the filter), and most importantly, remove the snorkel off the top of the airbox, and cut the whole top of the box out. Because I retained my battery, I couldn't open the top enough, so I also drilled a couple of 32mm dia holes on the top RHS of the airbox, behind that goofy cover
Done exactly what you said and it runs like a dream, thanks for your help. Have not fouled a plug since, and revs out nice too. Running 15/45 gearing and can pull 7000rpms doing 145kph which is not bad for a stock motor.
other

Post by other »

JB wrote: Done exactly what you said and it runs like a dream, thanks for your help. Have not fouled a plug since, and revs out nice too. Running 15/45 gearing and can pull 7000rpms doing 145kph which is not bad for a stock motor.
Good news, glad it worked for you too.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

other wrote:
JB wrote: Done exactly what you said and it runs like a dream, thanks for your help. Have not fouled a plug since, and revs out nice too. Running 15/45 gearing and can pull 7000rpms doing 145kph which is not bad for a stock motor.
Good news, glad it worked for you too.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
JB

Post by JB »

New wheels, makes her look sexy