kick starter Mech.????

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
down4thakrown

kick starter Mech.????

Post by down4thakrown »

So I had to put a new main shaft bearing in my 500 and I got it all back toether up to all I had to do was put the exhaust on and add coolant. So I thought I would try turning the motor over by hand and the kicker got half way through the cycle and jammed. So took it back apart and redid it and it would do a full cycle but not return on its own or jam when I try to manual return it. Should I wined the spring before putting the cover on?
other

Post by other »

There are dot punch marks on the ratchet gear and kickstart shaft. these need to be aligned. You replaced a gearbox main shaft, but struggle with the simple kicker mechanism ? . . . . have you checked that your gearbox works ? !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
down4thakrown

Post by down4thakrown »

Ya gear box goes through the gears. I'm thinking I didn't wined the spring clockwise and went counter clock wise. And I lined up the lunch marks. I'll get a pic of the punch marks
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If memory serves me correctly, the spring only gets a preload that holds it in the up position, when you kick it through, that is when it gets wound tight in order to bring it back to the park position. if you put an extra wind on it then it is probably going into a bind.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
other

Post by other »

Kuma is absolutely right. Just align the punch marks, pop the assembled mechanism into place so that the engagement pawl sits under the plate, and then hook the spring in. This involves about a 1/8 turn or less, clockwise as you look at it.
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
down4thakrown

Post by down4thakrown »

Yea I'm thinking thats where I biffed it. I would just hook the spring with out making sure the pawl was under the plate. Im prerty sure the little tension of the spring helps hold it in place too. Cuz iy would push out jus far enough to grab the clutch basket teeth.That's what I get for trying to rush though.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

And for those who have a Gen III frame, maybe other too, offset the punch makes by one spline and the kicker won't touch the frame or the pipe.

You'll have to figure out which way to go on that.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
down4thakrown

Post by down4thakrown »

Good point I'll look into that. My kicker was barely rubbin the frame