Alaska Snowbike 2007 CRF250R conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
eskimojoe77

Alaska Snowbike 2007 CRF250R conversion

Post by eskimojoe77 »

Here are a couple pics of a 2007 CRF250R and 1991 (that's what the seller told me anyway) CR500 conversion I'm working on here in Alaska.
Last edited by eskimojoe77 on August 28th, 2013, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Nice fricken shop :cool:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Lookin' good!!!!
eskimojoe77

Mocked up before welding

Post by eskimojoe77 »

Here it is all bolted together to make sure everything fits before the frame goes to the welder. What is the best alloy welding rod to weld these things up, I figure I'll leave it up to the welder if there isn't some super secret Cr500 specific alloy.
eskimojoe77

Bike completed and tested

Post by eskimojoe77 »

Finished my project and took it for a test ride. The thing runs and rides great. Will take some getting used to after being on a Ktm 525 4-stroke for the last couple of years. I hadn't gotten to ride the donor steelie much since the suspension was clapped out, but the AF definitely vibrates less. I'm running a stock pipe now, and the steelie had a Gnarly, not a big fan of the Gnarly. Probably will pick up a PC for added over rev. The stock crf250r rear sprocket is not going to cut it, way too low geared, but worked for a test ride. Ended up looping out the bike on my way home from the test ride and amputated the rear fender and made a nice but print on the ground on my way of the bike. The thing finally found the traction I'd been looking for, but at the time I least expected it. Decompressor worked great, will keep me from developing one enormous leg. Now I'm just waiting for my APT Smartcarb to show up. This thing will be awesome with my snowbike kit installed. Will post some completed pics soon. Thanks for all the great ideas and tech support from this website, couldn't have done it without you guys.
eskimojoe77

Snowbike Updated Pictures

Post by eskimojoe77 »

Here are a couple recent pictures of my snow bike project. Homebuilt track system, getting the bugs worked out of it, should be ready next weekend. Still waiting on APT cast 38mm. Hope you guys like it.
Image[/img]
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

:cool:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
nathaniel

Post by nathaniel »

Is the 38mm cast smartcarb a good size for the 500? I have been really wanting to order one so I don't need to adjust as much from summer to winter. Awesome bike by the way, looks like a lot of fun :cool:
-NF-
01 Tomos Targa LX (stolen)
01 Suzuki LS650 Savage
87 Honda CR500R (enduro)
87 Honda CR500R (basket case)
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

The snowbike looks sick ! I wish we had snow around here so I can build one of those.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

kibler

snow bike

Post by kibler »

What ski is on front? Who's rear skid? Looks great. Been looking at the Timbersled set up and am considering it.
Kibler.
homenf

Post by homenf »

That thing turned out sweet! Good job!
What gas tank are you running? Looks like it holds a good amount which I imagine you'll need.
Can't wait to get a ride report.
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."
eskimojoe77

Build info

Post by eskimojoe77 »

The ski is a modified Simmons Gen II Flexiski, modded to be like the new Timbersled ski, tri-keel. The rear skid is an Ez-Ryde modified to run a 121" length track, used some old Skidoo rails and cut the Ez-ryde coupling slot in the rear. The fuel tank is an IMS 3.9 gallon tank for the 2007 CRF250R, had to heat and form it to fit like all the threads on here show. I practiced on the stock tank and they both turned out great. Still waiting on the machine shop for one last part. Soon.
kibler

snow bike

Post by kibler »

How wide is the track? Did you fabricate the tunnel? You have more pics?
Kibler.
eskimojoe77

track kit info

Post by eskimojoe77 »

The track is 13.5" wide. I built everything except the Ezryde rear skid, that I just modified to 121" rails from 144 since that is the shortest they build. The tunnel is 3/16" aluminum that I cut using a router and a plywood template. Bearing carriers are from a Yamaha phazer chaincase. I'll put up some more pictures soon.[/code]
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I wanna see some helmet cam action with that thing!