Pound Sand 12/01 /13

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
OUTKAST INC.

Pound Sand 12/01 /13

Post by OUTKAST INC. »

Pound Sand Well not really ,but a couple buddies and I are finally going to get to go find out what riding sand dunes is all about . taking 2 cr500af's and the ktm kx500 to the Imperial sand dunes at Yuma az in dec. NOW WE NEED YOUR HELP. ... do we need any stickers or permits, all three bikes off road permited in Montana,,,, do we need flags,,,JETTING?? both af's pro cuircut pipes ,stk carbs , we run 165 jets in Montana but ride at 4000 to 6000 don't want to hurt a motor, 180 main ???? what do you guys think ??? have spare wheels and paddle's for all 3 bikes we run 13 /51 gearing , are we close enough ?? any thing else we should know??? thanks as always
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Well lets see. Flags are a must even if your tooling around in a 4x4 off the pavement.

Permits are good for a week $25 online 40 at the door so to speak. Not sure of the online site address right now, better to do it that way, they come in the mail and I think they have to be signed for?.

I dont think Reg will be a Prob. Its after Thanks Giving weekend and they have made there money by then. TG is the biggest wk end out there.

You will be happier with 14/51 gearing.

I recomend camping on Gecko road off hwy 78 its the North side of the dunes. I think permits can be had at the ranger station there. Why Yuma? Hotels?

Jetting see if you can find a DGJ or 1468 needle, 172-175 main should be good. Listen closely to the motor, if it sounds like little rocks hitting the skid plate, richen that circuit of the carb.

Can't help you with the KTM.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Price went up, camping is now $35 per tow vehicle, not for each off road machine, if you have are buying 2, then you can get 2 for $60, it works for 2 vehicles or 2 separate trips, only thing is they will be punched for the week that you choose so if you can't make the second trip you are SOL.
I'm pretty sure if you have the you bikes stickered and up to date for your state that is all you need but if you don't have then you can purchase cali visitor stickers. honestly I have not been checked for green stickers for over 10 years. Flags are a must! the Nazis will hunt you down because it is an easy ticket. Iggy suggests Gecko Road, I prefer the washs, to each their own. I would definitely suggest the Glamis end of the dunes, the area by Yuma, Buttercup, not so much, gordons well side they have some tall walls but the dunes don't flow so well and the sand is much finer, you could be riding along and then hit a slipface and instead of going up you go in to your axil and find your self laying in the sand looking at your bike standing there like "what"
There is an unorganized drag area near the ranger station at Gecko, be careful around there, I always pass it at the start side to avoid getting creamed by a sand rail doing 100 mph, that ramps up in the afternoon around 3 or 4, Olds is the new night hill and still the day hill to hang and watch

I think I'm running 178 main, jet for sea level it's now that far from it
I suggest to camp it, enjoy the fire, drink and BS :buddies: :bong: :blur:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!