Hello from Alberta Canada

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
theone

Hello from Alberta Canada

Post by theone »

Long time CR500 rider of about 10 years, just finished putting the motor into a gen 1 chassis and am very happy with the results. A little more vibration than I'd like but I think a little experimenting with the head stay and shims in the motor mounts might help it a little. I hadn't ridden the 5 for a couple years and had forgotten how much power it has. I have been riding my KTM525exc and 03 CR250R lately and when I fired up the 5 I couldn't stop smiling. Then the ride began and the front wheel was in the air for a good portion of the test ride. Love the torque and was taking it fairly easy since I just put a fresh top end and a freshly nikasil'd jug on it. Vibes are hardly noticeable once your moving so I'm not overly worried about it.

I'll post a pic or two once I figure out this site. I have no photo accounts other than dropbox so I'll have to figure something out.
other

Post by other »

"Nikasil'd jug" ? ? ? I'd love to know where you found an electrofusion bore CR500 ! All of mine are the boring old iron bores !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
CR525Bruce

Post by CR525Bruce »

other wrote:"Nikasil'd jug" ? ? ? I'd love to know where you found an electrofusion bore CR500 ! All of mine are the boring old iron bores !
:shock:
theone

Post by theone »

The guy I got it from sent it to the US and had it done there. I can't remember which place it was done but I could find out if your interested. It wasn't cheap and unfortunately he had it done in a bore size that the pistons have been discontinued. I just put in a fresh one and have one more new piston left then will either have to luck out on eBay or have the nikasil bored out and go back to iron.
Runs sweet though and is a real handful to hang on to.
My motor has FMF Gnarly with FMF Turbine core silencer and boyesen pro reeds and is stock other than that.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Millennium does them on cast or on the alloy sleeves I install.
other

Post by other »

theone wrote:The guy I got it from sent it to the US and had it done there. I can't remember which place it was done but I could find out if your interested. It wasn't cheap and unfortunately he had it done in a bore size that the pistons have been discontinued. I just put in a fresh one and have one more new piston left then will either have to luck out on eBay or have the nikasil bored out and go back to iron.
Runs sweet though and is a real handful to hang on to.
My motor has FMF Gnarly with FMF Turbine core silencer and boyesen pro reeds and is stock other than that.
Yeah, I'm really interested in an alloy sleeved, Nikasil bore CR500, so I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit . . . . What bore diameter is yours ? And what piston was used ? I have a barrel close to it's bore limit, and was fascinated with the idea of an alloy sleeve, Nikasil big-bore conversion. Any guidance would be appreciated. (Obviously, that means from you too Roosty . . . .)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Why? Cast Iron rulz......
other

Post by other »

I just like to mess with stuff. I have 2 iron bored CR500's, which I wont mess with, but I also have an old Gen 2 that I use just for 'fiddling' with shit. For example, I have a PWK on my Gen 4 that is pretty hard to fault, but I am still trying to get Fuel Injection sorted. . . . no real good reason, just doing it anyway !
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Hmmm, Alberta's a pretty big place, could you be perhaps a little more SPECIFIC. I live 60 km from Count FLloydminster when I'm working, fly home to the asshole of the country on days off. Also a proud card carrying member of the Hate Four Strokes Club. Probably get my half litre out here again next summer. Need to get the jug to Roosty for a bore first, though.
theone

Post by theone »

other (and any others interested),
I contacted the guy I got it from and it was done at LA Chrome and was done at 89.25mm. Standard CR480/500 pistons.
I got two top end kits with it and both pistons have a window cut into the intake side of the skirt which he say's boosts low and midrange power. I hadn't ridden the steely for a couple years as the conversion project took a while to get going after I stripped both bikes so I'm not sure how much more power it has or if it is much different than without the window but the bike is a rocketship, compared to my KTM 525exc and my 03 CR250R this thing is retarded. I think I have a little jetting to do to get it dialed right in as it felt a tiny bit flat on the top end but it has so much boost that it is hard to keep the front end down most of the time.
I'm kinda choked I didn't get it done in time to take it for a real ride before the snow fell but at least I got it out for a half hour ride around my place before it got cold.

Scooter,
I'm West of Edmonton on an acreage. Which asshole is that? There are a few places I can think of that fit that description.

other,
what bike are you putting injection onto? I would love to figure out a way to get FI on my 500 as I am buying a 2-moto snow track kit for it and would love to be able to forget about trying to jet for hot summer and cold winter with everything in between.

I have the matching Warp 9 for the back but it has bearings for my gen 3 so I'm waiting on my adapters so I can make it fit this bike. Getting a sleeve that will let me use it on this bike and my 03 250, I have two sets of Warp 9 plus the stock wheels and want to be able to use them all on both my bikes.
Last edited by theone on November 5th, 2013, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
other

Post by other »

theone wrote: other,
what bike are you putting injection onto? I would love to figure out a way to get FI on my 500 as I am buying a 2-moto snow track kit for it and would love to be able to forget about trying to jet for hot summer and cold winter with everything in between.
The EFI is going on a CR500, but on a 2 stroke, it can't work like FI on a 4 banger with an O2 sensor in the exhaust controlling constant updates to mixture etc. The oxy sensor can't operate in the oily environment, so 2 strokes have to be tuned with a Lambda meter, or set the tune then remove the oxy sensor and disable it's input into the EMU. Pretty much the same arse-ache as jetting changes, but at least it should run real crisp and clean in between the tune ups !
theone

Post by theone »

other wrote:
The EFI is going on a CR500, but on a 2 stroke, it can't work like FI on a 4 banger with an O2 sensor in the exhaust controlling constant updates to mixture etc. The oxy sensor can't operate in the oily environment, so 2 strokes have to be tuned with a Lambda meter, or set the tune then remove the oxy sensor and disable it's input into the EMU. Pretty much the same arse-ache as jetting changes, but at least it should run real crisp and clean in between the tune ups !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY
I wish this had more info but sounds like they are getting close.
theone

Post by theone »

Best I can do for now is put a pic as my Avatar.
Put a gen 3 front fender on it to spruce it up a bit.
14/49 gearing
Will look a little better when I get the other wheel on the back.
other

Post by other »

Yep, the Keith Paterson bike was what set me off on this fools errand . . . You can clearly see in the vid, the "tune and run" mixture setting, rather than automatic on the fly adjustments by the EMU. They have chosen set their throttle body in a downdraught configuration (presumably with an in-tank injector pump), which I have tried to avoid, preferring instead to use a dual sequential injector throttle body (only 42mm, nothing too crazy) in the standard carburettor location, and run an external fuel pump (so I can still swap between my standard 450X tank and the big 15 litre IMS Desert tank without all the arse ache of swapping fuel pumps, or investing in a pump per tank . . .). This will create some minor headaches with fuel bubbler return lines etc, but overall more versatile. (I wouldn't bother if the bike was an MX only thing, but mine is a trail/enduro/desert/etc bike !) . . . .The 'small' injector will run alone from idle to 25-30% throttle, then the 'big' injector will take over from 25% to 75-80% throttle, then both together from 75% to WFO.
Should make for a really crisp running engine . . . Time will tell whether I have made a flawed decision from the get-go !
One of these days, if I get the results I'm aiming for, I'll start a thread on here with all the details.
I'm building this up in my 'spare' AF, the Gen 2, so at least I still have the Gen 4 to ride in the meantime . . . I have a feeling this is going to be a fairly drawn-out project to get it all running right !
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Southern Ontario, Tillsonburg, half hour from London, 2 from Toronto. Lots of places to ride, but sure hate livin there. My Dad and my gf are the only reasons I go back. I'd stop if I could.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

other wrote:
I can't speak for all systems, but the EFI on the old cannondales were open loop systems, they rely on the tune programed into the system and use TPS and CPS to determine what part of the map to use, I would think the CR would do something similar? aren't there still some 2 stroke sleds that are EFI?
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
other

Post by other »

Kuma wrote:
I can't speak for all systems, but the EFI on the old cannondales were open loop systems, they rely on the tune programed into the system and use TPS and CPS to determine what part of the map to use, I would think the CR would do something similar? aren't there still some 2 stroke sleds that are EFI?
Yep, this is an open loop system too, just a slightly updated version with sequential injectors, with input from TPS, MAP sensor and temperature sensors. Still runs 'fixed' maps, but they are fully programmable, and once they are loaded, you can switch between 2 on the fly. It's sort of low tech hi technology !
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Cannondale stuff was way ahead of it's time, too bad they weren't around long enough to work out the bugs on their own.
FI, dry sump, Aluminum frame, intake in front of the head, full race ready quad (moto), contrary to what Yamaha would have you believe, they were not the first.
FI is fully adjustable, there is a map select feature available to select 3 different maps. it was pretty cool machine, I just got fedup with working on 4 strokes, when you have so many parts flying around at 12,000 rpm something is going to let go, it's just a matter of time.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
other

Post by other »

Kuma wrote: I just got fedup with working on 4 strokes, when you have so many parts flying around at 12,000 rpm something is going to let go, it's just a matter of time.
True that ! (That is a perfect signature line right there !)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

You bought the cylinder from Chad :wink:
okotok

Post by okotok »

Welcome from another Albertan. I used to ride my 84 500 at Cloverbar and Bruderheim back in the 80s when I lived in Edmonton with trips to Cadomin, Limestone and Whitecourt thrown in frequently. Been in Calgary since the early 90s though. Some great riding around here.
theone

Post by theone »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:You bought the cylinder from Chad :wink:
Yup :)

Good guy, has been lots of help on my build. Traded my stock 99 chassis for his modded 98 chassis then it took me 2 days to put it all together.
theone

Post by theone »

okotok wrote:Welcome from another Albertan. I used to ride my 84 500 at Cloverbar and Bruderheim back in the 80s when I lived in Edmonton with trips to Cadomin, Limestone and Whitecourt thrown in frequently. Been in Calgary since the early 90s though. Some great riding around here.

I haven't ridden cloverbar, Bruderheim, or Redwater since I was in my teens. Cadomin is mostly shut down now. Whitecourt is still pretty good. Brule dunes has been screwed by all the city dipshits leaving garbage and burned vehicles everywhere.
I haven't ridden Calgary area for a few years.
West of Caroline was really good a few years ago.

PM me if you want to get together for a ride some time. I come to Calgary regularly, my fiance's sisters live there :roll:
okotok

Post by okotok »

That's too bad about Cadomin. It used to be a great place. I was out to Brule for the first time this year. Some great dunes but did see a fair bit of garbage left around at random campsites. Plenty of scumbag idiots around. I'll drop you a note in the spring when the snow's gone.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I did that chassis for him :lol: