AF Welding Filler Rod?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
eskimojoe77

AF Welding Filler Rod?

Post by eskimojoe77 »

What is the best rod to use when having the AF frames welded? I know I stumbled across it posted a while back, but I've searched around the forum and can't seem to find it again. Frame is ready to go to the welder, just need to know what rod to take him. Thanks.
CR525Bruce

Post by CR525Bruce »

seems to me if the welder doesn't know what kind of rod to use you might want to start looking for another welder
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

5356 filler rod
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
cryzsurfer

AF Welding Filler Rod?

Post by cryzsurfer »

There's a new filler gaining steam that has a higher strength than ER4043 that has Magnesium like ER5356 but at the levels to prevent hot cracking. In the July Edition of the AWS Welding Journal they specifically mention motorcycle framesand 356 casting repair. I like the idea because I'm a big proponent of using DCEN (Straight polarity) with .999 pure helium on anything thicker than .090 as I did with my AF project. DC just plain sucks with ER5356 filler. We'll end up qualyfying a weld procedure with the new filler, so we'll see what the differences are compared to the 4043 and 5356. My frame is holding up well but it's sporting a modded YZ250 smoker as the kick mechanism did an epic fail on my 5 hunny motor.
Craigus