San Diego on the board

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
sdnative

San Diego on the board

Post by sdnative »

Hey all, Chris from SD. Recently acquired a project with lots of potential ...big plans for it. Humble beginnings as shown below, which means lots of questions for ya guys. 1987 steelie

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

welcome mate what sort of shock is in that 87
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Whats up man welcome to the board. Im in San Diego as well hit me up if you want to ride.
Kevin
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Welcome, you will want to pull your exhaust and check the piston for cracks and your water pump for cancer. if it's not eaten through, you can clean it out and use some JB weld to fix it up. some '89s and everything newer used aluminum and more resistant to the corrosion.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
other

Post by other »

gregrobo wrote:welcome mate what sort of shock is in that 87
That's a standard 87 shock Greg. I have 1 complete (in my Safari XR), and another spare in pieces at home . . . .
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
sdnative

Post by sdnative »

freeride588 wrote:Whats up man welcome to the board. Im in San Diego as well hit me up if you want to ride.
Cool. Mostly East cty trails and desert here. I ride with the San Diego Meetup.com group quite a bit, also a good place to find a few good riders ...although obviously mixed skill level. Will drop a line as the season is upon us.
sdnative

Post by sdnative »

other wrote:
gregrobo wrote:welcome mate what sort of shock is in that 87
That's a standard 87 shock Greg. I have 1 complete (in my Safari XR), and another spare in pieces at home . . . .
Thanks! On the shock, what he said. Apparently Honda had problems with this shock, overheating mainly I guess. The newer style with side piggy back is the way to go. The bottom out rubber donut on mine was rubber dust, have to tare it down to replace.
Last edited by sdnative on August 20th, 2013, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdnative

Post by sdnative »

Kuma wrote:Welcome, you will want to pull your exhaust and check the piston for cracks and your water pump for cancer. if it's not eaten through, you can clean it out and use some JB weld to fix it up. some '89s and everything newer used aluminum and more resistant to the corrosion.
Called that one. Was a mess in the water pump. After I clean it up i'll see what is left to work with. Maybe will be able to machine up some screw in extensions for the coolant tubes. Worst scenario, new case. Piston looks ok at this point, other than being super worn out. Thxs for the inputs!