'05 Gen 4 / '88 500 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
heyahh

'05 Gen 4 / '88 500 Conversion

Post by heyahh »

Hey folks,

Did my 1st AFC thanks mostly to you guys here that have or are currently doing the same. After poking around here for a few yrs I finally figured there is enough info & hardware out there to help me do the swap pretty quickly (by that I mean little to no trial & error set backs). The info here is really very valuable & I commend all of you for sharing. I hope to do the same.

I'm from NH & mostly ride the power lines around New England. I have an automotive mechanical & machining back round & a fairly well equipped garage / small machine shop but it's not my source of income....hobbies only (man cave). I can machine my own parts when there are no other options which makes things much easier.

I started with an '05 CRF250 & adapted my beloved '88 CR500 (that I've owned for 20+ yrs) engine into it. After reading a lot of your threads, it became apparent that the Gen 4 is one of the more involved conversion approaches & adding to that an older 500 engine made it bit more challenging. Although not as common, there is still info on my combination here on what I'd run into with the older engine.

I have PNs & sources for everything I bought so please just ask if you wanna know.

I bought the kit from CP500 & his parts AND support are high quality. I'm equipped fairly well to do all the fab work but had to find a good welder to make my alterations permanent. I started this on 4th of July weekend & just fired it up for the 1st time yesterday. All seems ok & will take it for a real ride this weekend.

I used a combination of many of your all's ideas & the build went fairly smooth. Some of the issues I ran into weren't really talked about that much here so I had to just do What I thought was best. (Yeah, I should've created my account & asked a few questions earlier, but I figured by the time I got a response, I'd already be past the issue).

I decided to make my own rear engine mount collars rather than boring out the case & went with everyone's suggestions for the spacers. they work perfect.

I elected to go with left & right radiator inlets as opposed to a single outlet mod at the head. I got the hoses from Australia as recommended in one of the threads here. For me, it's a much cleaner approach & the hoses can be cut to fit perfectly.

I used a couple of Ebay/China extra capacity radiators & although they seem like they'll keep the 500 cool, and they seem much more rugged than the Honda rads, I had massive interference with the new FMF Gnarly pipe on the right side. I had to carve a pretty good chunk out of the bottom corner to make it fit.

I elected to use a rear pipe mount as opposed to some saying it's not needed. I also had to cut & reshape the pipe into my silencer a bit to make it fit with the original CRF rear muffler mount tapped hole.

I heated & bent the rear brake lever in 2 places to clear the clutch cover. Easy & fits perfect now.

A few things I'm still hoping to resolve better are:

* Air box to carb boot: my '88 cylinder has a longer intake flange which makes the carb hit the shock spring when using the OEM rubber carb to reed intake boot. I saw on here that a RAD valve has a slightly different angle & provides just enough difference to solve this. I got one & it did, but with the longer intake flange on the cylinder & matched with a '99 cr250 air box boot (also recommended here), it didn't work. I ended up shortening the neck of the RAD valve as far as I could (3/8") to compensate, It made it better, but the air box boot still could be ~ 1/4" shorter to make it perfect. Right now, the middle of the boot squeezes together upon assembly just enough to cause me concern about air flow restriction.

Anyone know of a slightly shorter boot than a 99 cr250?

* As you all know, the water inlet is on the back of the cylinder. I replaced the '88 clutch casing which was pitted with a later model that has the vertical water inlet. So now I'm hoping to find some info on a water hose that would fit to the back of the cylinder without having to use a 45 deg elbow. Any info on this would be appreciated.

* I'm also looking for feedback on how much easier a Magura hyd cluch kit will make my lever pull. I ordered one last night....

* Rear wheel dia: I've always loved my IRC M5B 140/80-18 but see that they're much narrower for the 19" wheels. What are you guys using to hook up in loose to intermediate terrain? 18" vs 19" & tire recommendations ???

* CR500AFC graphics kit to fit the CRF250 shrouds ?!?!?!?!

So again, thanks to all who share their knowledge here & I hope to be able to do the same.

I documented the entire build pretty well with lots of photos so just ask if you want to see something. Here's a few of what I talked about above:

Doner '88 CR500

Shortened this as much as I could

YES, I have a new clutch cover, just haven't put it on yet....

Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
lms1977

Post by lms1977 »

Looks nice I just did a 2001 frame and a 87 motor I ran into the same intake issue and did the same thing lol.. I am running a single hose for the coolant line I found at a auto parts store.
heyahh

Post by heyahh »

Don't suppose you remember the PN for the hose? If you just did the build, maybe you still have the receipt??
Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
lms1977

Post by lms1977 »

heyahh wrote:Don't suppose you remember the PN for the hose? If you just did the build, maybe you still have the receipt??
I will look for it.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

What has happened to the '88 roller?
heyahh

Post by heyahh »

Still have the `88 roller & will be looking to sell it shortly. It's in good shape and tight all around.....
Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Don't forget to give me a price on it.
heyahh

Post by heyahh »

Roostius...I'll post more pics of the roller & give details of the roller when I figure out what I want for it (very soon). Seeing as you're the 1st to ask, I'll give you 1st option on it....not sure if it would be worth shipping it though....your call once I post it.

Care to take a crack at any of my questions above?
Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
heyahh

Post by heyahh »

Roostius...I'll post more pics & give details of the roller when I figure out what I want for it (very soon). Seeing as you're the 1st to ask, I'll give you 1st option on it....not sure if it would be worth shipping it though....your call once I post it.

Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
heyahh

Post by heyahh »

Roostius...I'll post more pics & give details of the roller when I figure out what I want for it (very soon). Seeing as you're the 1st to ask, I'll give you 1st option on it....not sure if it would be worth shipping it though....your call once I post it.

Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
heyahh

Post by heyahh »

Arghhhh.....site said reply didn't go thru 3 times but obviously it did....sorry
Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I was very disappointed with my magura experience.

Pull was not really better, wouldn't always disengage fully, blew the slave cylinder seal a few times, just in general not happy about being let down multiple times and ways.

Switched to a new cable and a "righteous stunt clutch"
http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/

One finger clutch action, and NO FAILURES!!

Also use the "universal tractor fluid" as gearbox oil and clutch fade will be non existant.
heyahh

Selling the donor bike $1k

Post by heyahh »

Will be selling the donor '88 CR500 rolling chassis pictured in the 1st post, 1st photo in this thread. I've owned & maintained the bike since 1990. It's complete (including rear engine mount bushings) minus the engine, carb, coil, CDI & throttle assy. Bike is tight & straight all around (including the rads). It has a Fatty pipe, Answer S-II muffler, recent o-ring chain, rear disc & sprocket.

Will post more photos & answer all questions if there's any interest.

Giving readers of this thread 1st option before posting elsewhere.

Asking $1,000 + shipping.
Boys Need Toys
'88 Gen 4 CR500AFC
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Roosty has first dibs, of course, but I may be interested in the tank and shrouds
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Jercs

Post by Jercs »

heyahh,

Congratulations on your completed project! It looks great! How did you like using our conversion kit? Glad to see everything worked out well. Would you mind sending us some of those completed bike photos?

You didn't mention if you had taken it out yet. How did it ride?

Also, do you have any information on those hoses? Such as part numbers and where you got them from? I would be interested to find out where you found those.

I would love to hear your feedback and experience.

Thanks for sharing!

-CP500
www.conversionparts500.com