First race after... 19 years!

WTF Happened!!!!
killtman

First race after... 19 years!

Post by killtman »

Hi Guys, it's been a long time since my last post here... which was, unfortunately, to let you know that my Gen 5 was stolen :(

To refresh your mind, in 2010 I was close to leg amputation right above the knee when I blew it up on a ride with my Gen 4... but the doctors saved my legs and I built a Gen 5 later on.

I just had 2 rides for a total time of 30 minutes at the most with the Gen5 (I suffered jetting issues) and since then... nothing!

Last saturday, there was a race in France with 2 heats of 500cc added to the races in place.
A friend of mine offered to register me and lend me his steely. It's a pretty decent steely with an amazing engine!
I guess that my former GP engine was not running that well...

So I headed to France with no ride experience for 3 years (but those 30 minutes with the Gen 5)... I expect huge blisters :lol:

I see that some "old freinds" are regisered too. One of them praticed the 125cc world championship in the 90's and two of them are riding at the MXDN Vintage at Farleigh Castle in september.
No need to say that I was willing to show up, especially because I had a better level than these guys at the time... only, they ride every weeks and I don't.

The track was a mix of old school track with huge and fast uphills and downhills, but also with some table tops. Just fine for a comeback.

My aim was just to have fun, do a few fast laps, then retire...

First moto, I holeshot the pack! I was quite surprised, but what a feeling! The last time I was behind a starting gate was in 1994 for the International MX event in Genk, Belgium.
Of course, I didn't want to see them pass me so I gave all I had and managed to stay 1st for 3 laps... then I felt some arm pumps and I slowed down, slipped at the 2nd position and stay 2nd for 3 more laps... then I was totally exhausted and finished at slow pace til the checkered flag.
Great experience, however!

On moto 2, I had the same start but at the first turn I was put from inside out by 3 guys missing the first turn. I was at full speed and I hitted a metalic pole fixed in a concrete base with my left footpeg. No need to mention that the pole didn't move... I flew out of the track, the bike too. But on the footpeg, there was my foot! The front metal piece of the boot is now flat!
My big toe and the second toe are broken... black and bleeding. Nothing serious, but it hurts anyway. I gave up. The shifter is bent in a U shape, so even with no injury it was not possible to go on.

Great race however, lots of friends I found back... I now wait for my Gen 6 to be built and the next 500 race...

Below, the holeshot and a few other pics.

See ya, mates!

sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

:cool: :cool: :cool:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

now for a speedy recovery and more race reports.
Thanks
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

sabreguy wrote::cool: :cool: :cool:

X491!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I completely believe the holeshots.
It's happened to me too (5 times) and I was simply amazed because I too had been out of it for quite a while.
The only explanation I can come up with is, too many people simply over think the start. You probably just went to the line and did it.
For me, I simply went over in my minds eye all the movements before hand and just did it.
Kinda like bowling, every time somebody has drug me to a bowling alley I ended up throwing a lot of strikes.
As far as the racing goes, after the holeshots, I didn't have a good plan and would get passed!
Hey, hope you get better and get back on the bike.