MRE Gen3 250 frame #3

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

MRE Gen3 250 frame #3

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I made a deal to sell my other bike to my brother, i kept the fatty pipe and fmf silencer, everything else stayed as it was.

I bought this chassis in Pheonix this winter.
I built an enigne with new cases and cylinder
-wossner piston (ported)
-250 clutch assembly
-newest porting
-custom exhaust flange (increased velocity)
-dynatek programable 4 map cdi
-125 stator
-dep pipe
-bills silencer
-vf2 reed on 1/8" spacer
-ported reed boot
-41 sudco pwk
-coolhead with a 63cc dome and .050" squish
and ALOT of other internal work

I snitched some ideas as i went, bought some parts from the shoppers section, fleebay, took some stuff on trade for work.
Theres a set of black DNA wheels waiting for it when the extentions come off, the chassis had a 18"dna on it so i bought a 21" to match and 19" aswell.
I'll likely bleed a brake for the extended line and do a few more little things before heading home tonite. The climb is sunday so i'm hoping to get some seat time on it friday or saturday but the weather isnt looking too good
I ordered a gripper seat that looks like oem, didnt show yet.

The bike will be in the bush and the hill, not much track time.

msn changed the way the pics are sorted, i cant get the proper link, heres the hosting folder..

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=BD4AA268 ... 1967&sc=do...
cuments#!/?cid=bd4aa2685d9bf2e9&sc=documents&uc=2&id=BD4AA2685D9BF2E9%211968
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

That should be one awesome bike
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Adams "Barn"

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i gotta get them all back in 1 place again, theres 3 more af bikes since that :roll:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i gotta get them all back in 1 place again, theres 3 more af bikes since that :roll:
Damn I think you just surpassed Lewisclan for most bikes :shock:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

nice collection roost
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

it'd be nice to say we've been riding them, but we havent left the garage this summer! its been raining and horrible conditions.
the picture is missing 3 50's, but the big bikes are..

1987 500
1988 500
1999 500 (bro)
2000 500
2002 250
2002 500 250 based
2003 500 125 based (not finished)
2003 500 250 based ("sold" to bro)
2003 500 250 based (not finished)
2004 250 (bro)

and i just bought a 2006 250f chassis :roll:
I'd listed my 87+88 for sale because the garage was getting tight for room on the bike side, kicked out a snowmobile and the mower, good to go :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I've done some serious work testing out different engine combinations, pipes and things, this is what i'm currently working on.

The Pulse Engineering intake system that is marketed on ebay. Ron McCord makes it, I bought the first one and sent him a 2000 KX250 carburetor with a TPS and a powerjet. He modified the internals of the carb, the actual body so that it would suspend more fuel, the entire idea behind his pulse intake.
I realized dammn quick that the system he has fits great on a steel chassis with the other carburetor, a PWM, not the version I was needing to use. I modified the intake as much as possible, the reed I chose for this setup was the boyeseen, needing a stronger reversion pulse meant the vforce wouldnt seal and the flowed form of the rad valve was perfect.
I need to run a reedspacer on this porting, but that was out of the question because of the carb fitment.
I cut the neck from the rad valve first, then while holding the reed portion I cut the flange from it. I welded the flange to an angle milled Pulse Engineering plenum, then bolted the rad valves reed parts thru the flange portion, directly to the plenum. I made a new carb flange and it was in the chassis.
Now the Airboot from the filter was 3/4" too low. I'd used the 2000 CR250 boot, I won't do that again, it was a pain in the nuts from the get go. The original gen3 boot was the best fit, i'd just buy a proper sealing kit like the double plate aluminum one on ebay if i came into that trouble again.
Bro and I took to the plasma cutter the other night and made a flange to fit the airbox, I whittled down a carburetor sized flange for the outlet and shortened a 2"rubber plumbers patch to only use a single hose clamp. With the manual from the guidance system of the tractor we cut out a few templates and bro welded them, its fit is spectacular. There is a .060" gap between the carb and the air boot and it seals great at the box. I'd cut that super shitty fitting 250 boot off and used the inner and outer lip to seal and keep the spacing proper for the stock CR500 filter cage plates studs.

Beyond these modifications I have the CDI unit I sell with its TPS connection and the 2002+ CR250 electrical system. I do have a weight for the flywheel that I'll be testing on it also.

I have a picture of the heads chamber from the last time it was apart here also.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

setup on a mockup cylinder as it came from Ron

modified to fit my chassis

I changed the top of the carb to use the angled KX250 cap, its cable is longer and swings around the side of the tank making the best carburetor cable routing i've found. I also shortened the flange that suspends the carb so that the body of the carb is only .060-.080" away from the plenum.

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I have better smaller pictures but havent got the internet speed to upload them :roll:
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Roosty, do you have baseline dyno numbers so we can see before and after results? It's great to see the research work everyone is doing on our beasts to make a great machine better!
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

What does all this achieve ?
better all round response, top end motor only, roughly the Same HP but more torque.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

What he said ^^^

Looks bad ass, otherwise!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:setup on a mockup cylinder as it came from Ron

modified to fit my chassis

I changed the top of the carb to use the angled KX250 cap, its cable is longer and swings around the side of the tank making the best carburetor cable routing i've found. I also shortened the flange that suspends the carb so that the body of the carb is only .060-.080" away from the plenum.

Roosty is there any way you can get your pictures back up? I'd love to see your setup. I just installed one of Ron's Pulse systems on my 95 CR5 and really like it. My cylinder is pretty much stock porting.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

dammn, they show when i check
BrianPaul69

Re: MRE Gen3 250 frame #3

Post by BrianPaul69 »

msn changed the way the pics are sorted, i cant get the proper link, heres the hosting folder..

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=BD4AA268 ... 1967&sc=do...
cuments#!/?cid=bd4aa2685d9bf2e9&sc=documents&uc=2&id=BD4AA2685D9BF2E9%211968[/quote]

It could be the skydrive your using, it wanted me to log in when I clicked the link.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

go again
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Same thing for me it takes me to a login screen,
Kevin
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Fixed?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:Fixed?
All good thanks Adam!!
Kevin
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I'd shared the publics folder which altered its permissions to only people with a link. Some folders were still public, others open, I got it all back to normal, just couldn't do it by pone.
BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

Thanks Adam, all the pics are working now. I really wish I lived closer, you have so many cool things going on there and I love the fact that you are always doing R&D to come up with new power parts.

Can you tell us how your bike starts, idles and runs compared to not having the pulse induction setup on there? I really haven't had a lot of time to take my bike out with the new Pulse setup but it starts cold with one kick and just feels so much smoother through the rpm range. First gear use to have a lot of jerkyness to it because of the ding da ding ding idle but now its way more smooth. I also have about 3 years on my std bore Honda piston so I'm thinking about pulling the top end and inspecting the piston for any cracks real soon.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Member "Nodge" bought the bike this spring, better wheels on it, otherwise fully equipped with everything in this thread or more. He's been riding it a bit, it's setup just how I left it which I figured was pretty damn good feeling. Maybe he'll pop in to comment on how he thinks it feels compared to a bike without.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Runs like a new set of tits!
Seems much more smooth at low rpm than my previous 4 500's (they were all 85, 86 short rod motors)
Bottom and mid range is great.
Don't have much else to say about it, I haven't even got 2 tanks of fuel through it yet.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com