I'm in the dog house again...

Recount your rebuilds here!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

I'm in the dog house again...

Post by jbsleddin »

Picked up this 88 locally, couldn't pass it up. I had the feeling I was going to be in trouble with the wife, but haven't ever been this depressed after taking home a new toy. Needs some love, clutch basket is missing, water pump is showing some pretty promising signs of disease, pipe is bent up against the frame, and little things here and there need addressing. This is not going to be a restoration, I already promised the wife that much. Just gonna be a beater, get 'er going and ride the snot out of it. :roll: Image
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Started tearing into it a bit today, after having the rads full of vinegar for a couple days and flushing with hot water today. Got quite a bit of crud out with little effort, shaved some time off the water pump overhaul. I have never had a PC pipe, but apparently, they're hungry bastards because it ate a hole in the frame. Image
And it also seems to like to eat sunflower seeds too, it had a belly full of this: Image
I guess this is going to have to be a (somewhat) complete teardown, at least pull the engine and do a top end inspection, and repair the frame. Let's hope there are no more surprises, I really don't feel like splitting cases or anything...
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I think I saw that on Kijiji when I was home. I thought about it, but passed. The side plastic alone was enough to turn me off. Good luck.

Post by 86500 »

nice,

look your wife dead in the eye and tell her your going to do what you want and if she wants to be with you she can deal with you playing with motorcycles. you could be a bar fly or in a tittie club all hours. tell her to get a hobby as well.

and of course dont do any of that because im full of shit
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

86500 wrote:
and of course dont do any of that because im full of shit
:lol:

Not much progress to report of, the engine is torn apart on the bench, have a new piston for it, gaskets and seals on hand, haven't done the water pump yet, been too damn busy and no ambition at the end of the day. Good thing I still have the 85. :P
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Well, after tripping over bike parts for several months and accomplishing next to nothing since I tore the engine apart, I began getting depressed looking at this thing. Come home from work in the evening and just don't have the time or ambition to work on it with the love that it deserves. The neighbor kid kept pestering me to sell it to him, and my wife seemed to think that was a great idea. I let them convince me and it now has a new home, 4 doors down the street. The kid had it running a week and a half later and it sounds great. He ordered a new Gnarly for it and as soon as that comes in, I promised him I would help him jet it. :roll: Kinda bummed but it was seeming to be a lifelong project and I'm sure I'll come across another at some point in time... :wink:
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Hey, at least you know where it is and can keep an eye on it.
Give it time :)
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Now I'm just pissed, the little bastard has it posted on Kijiji for sale. :evil: I helped him all I could, let him borrow tools, gave him free parts, and now he's trying to turn a profit on my generostupidity. I'm just waiting for the day his new pipe comes in and he asks me to jet it for him. :piss:
TecRider

Post by TecRider »

jbsleddin wrote:Now I'm just pissed, the little bastard has it posted on Kijiji for sale. :evil: I helped him all I could, let him borrow tools, gave him free parts, and now he's trying to turn a profit on my generostupidity. I'm just waiting for the day his new pipe comes in and he asks me to jet it for him. :piss:
ahhah, so that's the '88 I saw posted?
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Well apparently, it's not for sale, so he says after I gave him the what for. He was trying to "see what it's worth" and swears he'll never sell it.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Man, This is gonna be like living down the street from your ex girlfriend with the nice ass. :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Tharrell wrote:Man, This is gonna be like living down the street from your ex girlfriend with the nice ass. :lol:
In either situation it'd be alright if you still get to throw a leg over it but somebody else does the maintenance :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:
Tharrell wrote:Man, This is gonna be like living down the street from your ex girlfriend with the nice ass. :lol:
In either situation it'd be alright if you still get to throw a leg over it but somebody else does the maintenance :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:
:lol: It'll probably be more like a case of the ex-wife that wants child support, the problems keep coming back to me. :roll:
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Yep you probably Nailed that one
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"