CR 500 will not idle

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
texascr500

CR 500 will not idle

Post by texascr500 »

I need help my 96 will not idle. You can get it to idle only by holding the throttle slightly open. At which time it will idle very nice, but release the throttle and it dies. The carb is now a PJ and it is stock with the correct jettting for this area and temperature, The air screw was 2 turns out and the slow speed jet is a 52. I have removed the carb twice and cleaned it all passages seem clear, but no idle at any speed, Turning the air screw closed 1/2 turn at a time starting at 2 1/2 turns all the way to closed made no difference. :(
-2-16-13 IN TEXAS IT IS IN THE 50'S-60'S STILL GOOD RIDING
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

bigger pilot if the air screw made no difference
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Just gonna throw this out there - did you try to adjust the idle screw (The choke knob) by turning counter clockwise to raise idle? Mine wont idle for shit when its cold so I adjust high for a warm up, then turn it back down.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

CR500PHIL

Re: CR 500 will not idle

Post by CR500PHIL »

texascr500 wrote:I need help my 96 will not idle. You can get it to idle only by holding the throttle slightly open. At which time it will idle very nice, but release the throttle and it dies. The carb is now a PJ and it is stock with the correct jettting for this area and temperature, The air screw was 2 turns out and the slow speed jet is a 52. I have removed the carb twice and cleaned it all passages seem clear, but no idle at any speed, Turning the air screw closed 1/2 turn at a time starting at 2 1/2 turns all the way to closed made no difference. :(
Jetting is off on pilot circuit I would bet. Try a 48 and start with 1.5 turns out and I bet the idle screw will begin to work.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

hoofarted wrote:Just gonna throw this out there - did you try to adjust the idle screw (The choke knob) by turning counter clockwise to raise idle? Mine wont idle for shit when its cold so I adjust high for a warm up,
then turn it back down.
I do the same thing
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Smaller pilot and/or thicker needle if you use the stock very fat needle.
racein01

Post by racein01 »

TYSTYX wrote:
hoofarted wrote:Just gonna throw this out there - did you try to adjust the idle screw (The choke knob) by turning counter clockwise to raise idle? Mine wont idle for shit when its cold so I adjust high for a warm up,
then turn it back down.
I do the same thing
+2
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

so did you get it to idle
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee