New a/f

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
CR525Bruce

Post by CR525Bruce »

A no hub band :lol: that's classic........ what a hack
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Is the headstay a pivoting style on the sides of the frame too?
yz500

Post by yz500 »

CR525Bruce wrote:A no hub band :lol: that's classic........ what a hack
in stead of being so negative, why dont you offer a better suggestion. That would be more helpful as I find a better set up. I have heard that a 98 yz 250 airboot works well anybody know this to be true.
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

I said the radiators are fine but I figured out this morning that one leaks where the spigot was welded. Looks like I will be wiring my welder up sooner than expected.

On another note, I received most of the other parts last night. Just waiting on frame and suspension.
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Sometimes if you make note to other people, they see the long tem problem and make adjustments. I quess I could so what a POS headstay MPS builds.That would be negative.
yz500

Post by yz500 »

any ideas for the air boot fix?
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

I got the frame and suspension today. The welds don't look too bad, comparable to the factory welds. After grinding a relief area over the weld to clear the lower section of the clutch cover, the motor dropped right in.

I am taking pictures as I go along and will post when I figure how.
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Sometimes the stock CR500 airboot with a plate is a viable option. KX500 airboot might work also, as it is quite small in size. Is it using the stock 4 st airboot and is it too short, so the need for an extension? Maybe a longer or shorter CR250 boot is what you need? Photos help show a problem. I am always up for helping solve a problem or 2. Sometimes we get tunnel vision and another point of view might open the eyes. The headstay that uses the stock side mounts on CRF based bikes allow the motor to pivot and can cause frame failure that is why I commented.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

cmotodad wrote:Sometimes we get tunnel vision and another point of view might open the eyes....
:wink:
yz500

Post by yz500 »

Thinking about using a Tassinari air boot, might give me some extra length
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Welcome to the asylum run by the inmates, Monsieur Klein. I'm curious as to why you chose a different stage name when you joined here.
Keep in mind that around here, we speak what is referred to as "the truth". So if someone says something you perceive as negative, it's usually "the truth". Painful as it might seem.
I'll give you an example. "George Fanelli is probably just about the most arrogant, useless hack of a cocksucker I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with." See, you might see that as negative, but in actuality, it's the truth.
I find it interesting that you join here, and you're looking to solve problems with your MPS purchase. So apparently, we have something in common. Might I ask why you didn't just ask George to fix it for you, or just flat out find a far better solution to his induction system?
I'm fairly certain that 4-stroke air boot is choking your engine back, although perhaps not quite as badly as that rad hose on Fanellis personal turd. You know, the one he refused to post pics of on Vital. Come to think of it, he wouldn't even show up in the thread I dedicated to him on Vital. That's like George Clooney snubbing the Academy Awards after being nominated in 8 Oscar categories!
I noticed that boot the first time I saw it on Vital months ago, and couldn't believe what I was looking at, but I wasn't shocked after seeing the stickers on the shrouds.
If you are going to replace that entire system, I would suggest you try and get a 250 2-stroke boot on there, I'm guessing the stock 500 boot won't fit. It wouldn't work on my 450, and I doubt your bike has any more clearance in there.
Peruse the "completed bikes" sticky here, you may find some ideas. I bought the boot off a 99 CR250 and used the adapter plate method. Used a heat gun to make the boot a little narrower and done. Good luck in your quest.
yz500

Post by yz500 »

I could have George fix this, but I like to tinker so I will work the kinks out. I talked to the folks at Moto Tassinari, very nice people, and Steve gave me some good ideas. Like you said maybe a YZ 250 boot. I will try a couple boots, if that dosent work there is aways Carbon fiber or fiberglass.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

An Aussie on here made an entire airbox and boot out of aluminum for his AF, using a rubber collar to connect it to the carb. I thought it looked cool, maybe that's an option. Or an ally box with a boot made to fit. Your bike's pretty cool, a little more exotica wouldn't hurt.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I was cruising last night for a few things for an old IT465 I have. Ended up at a place called Hot Foot Moto and they had some boots similar to the plumbing fitting on that YZ that were not home depot stuff...thought of this thread...maybe check them out.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica