New a/f

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
mudsplasher

New a/f

Post by mudsplasher »

Before I found this site I ordered a MPS CRF450 conversion. He said he shipped it today.

After reading here I am concerned. Besides poor welds and fit up what do I need to watch out for?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Everything else......
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Dude that sucks, the word is out there. Cross your fingers and hope for a good one. Post up a bunch of pictures. Areas that seem to be of most concern is the whole cradle depending on style and weld quality. The airbox boot fit is always an issue as well.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
fmikhele

Post by fmikhele »

Everything else......
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

Ok..... It is supposed to be here on Monday. He is shipping it unassembled. I will take pics as I go along. UGH
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Post them up, there are some dudes around here that I am sure are druleing to see what kind of crap he sent out this time. There are also people here that can help straighten it out if its a mess. I am sure many would like to see someone actually get a decent bike from MPS....just havent seen it happen yet. The guys around here are really good dudes that will call it like they see it. Some are jaded by getting crap from MPS but if yours looks O.K. they will let you know.
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

I am a good fabricator but going to college full time so have trouble finding to to work on my projects.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Shipping it unassembled might be better for you. That way you can inspect it and grease everything as you go.

Fit and finish is one of the grips with MPS.

Cross your fingers, crack a beer, it'll be alright.
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

Thanks Bob, that is encouraging. The engine is sitting on the dining room table.

Hopefully I will get it sorted out before my wife has our baby and EVERY project comes to a screaming halt.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

aaahhh babys sleep alot....wives will too if you let them. Then you can sneak out to the garage and get to work. Everyone thinks toy time comes to an end with kids, wasn't the case for me. Just made me have to work at it a little harder. Wife was made aware of my toy addiction well ahead of asking her to marry me, kids just give you more people to enjoy the fruits of your labor with.

Bikes like everything else mechanical can be fixed with time and effort, your at the right place for the advice needed to straighten things out. Bob and the boys will take care of you.

I can help out with advice on kids and family, with the AF conversions I am of no help at all. I ride the good bikes....the steely's :lol: :lol:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Our paths are the same, because I bought a POS from MPS, and then found this site too. I only had him mod my frame, but it was a nightmare. Hope he's learned something in almost 3 years, and yours is better than mine. Good luck.
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

This is our 7th child so I have a little experience. :=)

Thing is I am in Orlando thru the week and she is in Chattanooga, TN.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

7 kids fuk should have got a project earlier mate :lol:
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

LOL... She wants one more.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

mudsplasher wrote:LOL... She wants one more.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

7....I'm out, I have no advice, I'm sure no adult sleeps, your the man even having a toy or 2 minutes to play with it.
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

3 of the kids are adults and the next three range from 16-12. All of them ride except for my oldest daughter. We make it a family outing. I have already bought the baby his first bike!
yz500

Re: New a/f

Post by yz500 »

mudsplasher wrote:Before I found this site I ordered a MPS CRF450 conversion. He said he shipped it today.

After reading here I am concerned. Besides poor welds and fit up what do I need to watch out for?
I have had two MPS bikes, and I have taken a bullet or two for MPS. I will say that there are some fabricators on this site that are doing some really outstanding work. However there is a law of diminishing returns on pretty vs cost effective. Also pretty welds can fail as well.

Lets just say that I can see both sides of the argument. I did not like the the airbox set up on my first one so I made on out of carbon fiber. see photo. Image

It seems some people get really pissed over this lack of detial by MPS. Mostly it has to do with setting the correct expectations. If MPS would put pictures of these specs, so people could see why MPS might be cheaper, then the confusion would not be there.

For the most part people feel like they have been decieved (sp) by MPS and get pretty upset.
This is my current bike that has stirrrrred the pot on some other forums, is the bike perfect NO, is it close yes.

I am sure you can pick this bike apart on some of the welds, but we took this bike apart and inspected the welds and they are very strong, so I am satisfied. Hell it is a dirt bike.

am I defending MPS because I have one, NO I dont give a shit, if I wanted a different bike I would go buy one.

I talked to service, decided not to go that way, talked to George and felt like I could work with him.
yz500

Re: New a/f

Post by yz500 »

I switched to the Yamaha platform, mostly because I personally love the way the Yamaha handles, and I felt like I could not get the Honda to turn that great. I had a 2011 CRF 450 conversion, and before I made the investment in all new suspension I decided to change the platform to Yamaha.

There is alot of good information in here, and if I had found this site I might have stuck with the the CRF, but I just have more experience with the YZ's
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Nice looking bike for sure but someone in MPS must have been a plumber before building bikes. The carb fitting has to go.. Looks like a 2in. ABS connector to me.
yz500

Post by yz500 »

cmotodad wrote:Nice looking bike for sure but someone in MPS must have been a plumber before building bikes. The carb fitting has to go.. Looks like a 2in. ABS connector to me.
agreed its not the best set up but it works great and makes the carb easy to service. Its a metal coupling over a softer rubber hose. The metal stiffens the softer rubber hose to keep is secure. I might do another CF air box, but not sure its worth it.

Right now I just want to ride the flipping thing. its in my house cuz its 4* outside right now.
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

yz500 wrote: Its a metal coupling over a softer rubber hose. .
AKA: no hub coupling.

Yeah, I'm a plumber.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Thats the most ghetto thing I've ever seen on a supposedly "professionally" built bike.

:?
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Sorry to stir the pot. Necessity is the mother of invention.
mudsplasher

Post by mudsplasher »

The first of my parts came in over the weekend.... the radiators. they don't look too bad.