Radiator interchangeability

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Doppler

Radiator interchangeability

Post by Doppler »

Anybody have lots of radiator knowledge?  
My 89 needs some new rads and rad hoses. I can find radiators no problem but can't seem to find any hoses.  
There is some hoses on eBay that say they'll fit an 89 yet they have hoses pictured for 90-01 that are shaped differently. Ads claim 89-90 or 89-91+ depending...

Anyway parts for 90-01 are available all day long.  Can I use 90-01 parts on my 89?  The parts are different I know but it seems it's just the routing of the hoses on the left side that is different.
Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Anyone have a radiator lying around somewhere they can measure for me?
I need to find out if the mounting points are the same for the frame side and the shroud side. Also if the dimensions are the same with the overall size of it.
To me they look the same but they changed the routing on the left side hose to plumb toward the outside of the upper tank rather than the inside like the 89. And also the small hose between the tanks up top now faces forward instead of backward. Other than that it's all the same from the pictures I've seen.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

IIRC, 89-01 are the same, or damn near close. Which ones? The uppers?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Doppler

Post by Doppler »

Radiators have different left side hose locations and therefore different hoses on the 89 and 90-01. Bypass hose up top is facing opposite direction but that's no big deal.

Somebody just told me on the other site that 90+ work on 89 no problem. He has 01 parts on his 89.

So 90-01 rads and rad hoses will fit on the 89 and vice versa as long as you use both together. I.E. same year rads and hoses