Dunes gearing

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gravel Scratcher

Dunes gearing

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Picked up a 88' rear wheel with new sand paddle for $80. The rims a bit ordinary but will do for the limited use it will see. I'm panning on using it at some dunes in far North Queensland and dry river beds around my local area. As I've never done this sort riding I was wondering roughly what sort of gearing is needed for general all round hooning in the sand. I take it you don't use the front brake ? Any other tips
Thanks in advance
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

When I ride sand I like the tallest gearing I can run having the swingarm as far back in the swingarm as I can get it or the paddle rips off my airbox flap. It usually ends up about 14/48 or 49. I don't use the front brake a bunch but when your blasting down the dune doing 70 I'll use it a little . I'm no dune master I ride them about once a year but they are good practice for terrorizing sand washes on my desert rides and they tune up your turning.

Have fun and stay on the Gas!!
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
kball1313

Post by kball1313 »

14/46 here. 12 paddle skat trak
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rhino89523 wrote: I can run having the swingarm as far back in the swingarm as I can get it....and stay on the Gas!!
Thats all you need to know...

:cool: