82 CR480 questions.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
TerryK

82 CR480 questions.

Post by TerryK »

Hey guys. I've owned more than a few CR500s in my time but I've kind of been involved in vintage street bikes lately so I'm between CR5s right now. I did however get a VERY rough 82 480 given to me and I've decided to build a vintage Ice racer out of it. (kill me now lol)

It came with a spare engine (the original one has the dreaded exploded center case) but it turns out that much douchbaggery ensued from the former owner(s) and the mag side of both crankshafts are pooched, one bent threads the other has no threads. Anyone have a spare half or even a full crank they might part with?

Also, the spare center case is crack free, but I've been told I should weld between the main and countershaft bearing races to reinforce the area. Is this the right thing to do or should I just run it as is?

Thanks in advance!
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

If you weld between the main and counter shaft bearings be prepared to do some machine work as its going to shrink when it cools and distort the bearing housing and possibly the cases !!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
TerryK

Post by TerryK »

blownbillybob wrote:If you weld between the main and counter shaft bearings be prepared to do some machine work as its going to shrink when it cools and distort the bearing housing and possibly the cases !!!!!
I understand this, I was just wondering if anyone thinks it's absolutely necessary to have this done or can I safely run it as is?