Gen 4 crf250r-cr500 conversion getting started

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
gusaberg

Gen 4 crf250r-cr500 conversion getting started

Post by gusaberg »

Hi everyone, just gettin' started with my conversion, it's been a little slow to start with but I'm slowly getting the parts together. Thanks to Bean and Paul Stoffers for the rails and mounts

The doner, 1991 cr500 picked it up from the local trading post.

The 2006 crf250r, picked this up on Gumtree locally, it was a roller with a buggered engine, have gotten back $700 and still have a couple of good bits left that can be sold to help fund the project.

Chipping away at it last weekend,

The Donk

chop chop

A little way off but getting there, waiting on some parts to progress further. Thanks to everyone that has posted their builds on the site as it has made it a lot easier for me to do the conversion.
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

More progress this weekend, sat the engine in and starting to work out the locations and clearancing of the radiators, exhaust and airbox boot.

The mounts, it seemed a little off with out the washer so I put one in to make the rails sit better

I made a template out of 3mm mdf and was able to test fit the boot/airbox before using some 5mm aluminium sheet for the final product.
The template (free to good home if it will help with your crf250airbox/2000 mdl cr250 boot adaption)
I will have a shot of the finished adaptor next time, I was short of time and wanted to check the boot clearances
Kick starter and exhaust clearance was good

Finally I have a crf450 airbox adaptor that was no good for my conversion, If you are looking for one for your 450 style conversion drop me a line and make me an offer, it is a Bean ind made adaptor that i purchased earlier this year with my rails, I was unaware that wouldn't work with my crf250.
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

will ya post it to australia??
gusaberg

Post by gusaberg »

Hi alcrook26, I'm in Western Australia, a couple of hours north east of Perth in the Wheatbelt.
Are you after the template or the crf450 air box adaptor plate?
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Hi everyone,

Finally getting things back on track after moving ect, time seems to slip away if you're not carefull,

A couple of new pic's to get things rolling again. frame is all welded now.

Went balls deep and bought a set of the chinese rads and for the money can't really complain! they where a fair bit larger than the OEM's but feel they came up fine with good pipe clearance now.

The coil seemed to fit well enough in here

I had to take the crank back to the chap that fitted the new rod seems it isn't quite right and was a touch tight when the casing were torqued up so this put a stop to the assy until next week

Going the single coolant outlet way, have access to a good machinist and machining up a new out let was easy according to him and should flow pretty well as it is bigger than one of the old outlets.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Looking good!!!
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Cheers Bob,

It has been slow going for a while!

Will have a pic soon of the fcuked up tank i tried to modify, that should make you chuckle :oops:
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

chipping away doin' some more to the bike.

As i said Bob the fcuked up tank effort, looked easy on your sticky :roll:

The single coolant set up I ran with

Exhaust mount, I saw a few styles but this was simple and worked fine.

Been doing all the crap but essential jobs like greasing the linkage bearings and the like, but finally getting to the good stuff.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

"90 degree" fabbed fittings like the one in your head dont flow real well. If you have overheating issues, you might replace that fitting with one made with a radius..... just sayin'.

:wink:
AngryShawn

Post by AngryShawn »

:cool:
Looking good, thanks for sharing!
Visit my friends at MX1WEST GUEnergy
AMA D-36 #196F - BITD #379
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Thanks for the input Bob, I understand your thoughts. It is larger than the stock size fitting but still is only a single outlet and will likely fit a Vapor dash with the temp provision to keep an eye on things.

Cheers Max,
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Thanks AngryShawn,

It's the least I can do concidering we are all on here using the site to build our dream bikes, There isnt a lot that hasn't been done or atleast discussed on here, that in it's self has made the project alot easier to complete with out to many mistakes :oops:

Thanks for looking
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

Hey mate looks good you could you could always run the second out let out of the head just like the stock setup you just need to mod the radiator and run a cross over hose.
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Hi Gregrobo,

I did want to run the two outlet with the elbows but was having trouble getting the clearance under the tank and didn't want to weld fittings in to the head, this is why i wanted to keep the head std so that when i get the cash for the Acerbis tank i can go back to the std setup if I have problems.

Hows the WB resto going?? still doin' it??
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Hi all,

Just about done but waiting on a low profile plug to finish things off and couldn't wait to see how it would look. here a few picks of it almost finshed.

I will post a ride report when I receive the last parts to get it running.

Thanks to Paz for letting me spread my bike out at his work shop for 12 monthes while i got my shit together and Matt for welding up the frame.

I look forward to catching up with any W.A hoons for a ride and a few beers.

Cheers Max
Redbull500

Post by Redbull500 »

Nice build, jealous lol
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Thanks Redbull500,

looking at the post it took over 12 months, but it is actually closer to 20 months as i was looking for the doner bike/engine. so have had a bit of time to make some small parts purchases along the way.

thanks for looking,

Cheers Max,
Redbull500

Post by Redbull500 »

where did you get the rad hoses with the nice 90 bend in them?
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Redbull500 wrote:where did you get the rad hoses with the nice 90 bend in them?
The stock 500 ones are just like that.
Kevin
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Hi Redbull500,

I got mine from the normal auction site most of us use. I just searched "silicone hose 90 deg elbow" and got the 19mm one with 150mm long legs as the fab'ed elbow in the head was made to suit the CRF250 left radiator top port (I think std 500 is 16mm), the rest of my hose is a blue CRF250R kit as all my prefitting was done with the original hoses just cut to different lengths for the barrel and bottom rad hose. I did this because I didnt want to purchase a CR500 hose kit for some hoses and a CRF250 kit for the rest.

hope this helps??

Cheers Max,
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

yeah mate nearly finished the wb found a statesman front locally got the tray fabbed up but come to a standstill at the moment school holidays and doing some fab work on our boat once the boats out the way i will be back on the ute
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Redbull500

Post by Redbull500 »

Thanks Max it does, going to try and pretty up my hose routing this winter, without tons of copper 90 pieces lol ps great looking 500 you have there
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Thanks RedBull,

I have had it running but not riden it yet, work is consuming me along with jobs around the house.

hope to ride it this week end for a little shake down to make sure all is good.

cheers Max,
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

Nice build mate. I'm running the stock cr500 radiator configuration on my 05 crf 250.

Get up here mate 3 weeks to the goldfields motorcycle club 2 day enduro
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Thanks for the offer Gregrobo,

With the way work is at the moment it's going to be a stuggle to get this this run in, never mind riding it for fun!. 2 day enduro this time of year out in Kal will be a pretty hard/hot slog eh??