XR650R / TM40 Carb Install

Different discipline.... same Hoon behavior
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

XR650R / TM40 Carb Install

Post by AlisoBob »

When I bought this bike, the previous owner said he did the "HRC" mod tothe carb, which is plugging some passageways that control a diaphram that riches / leans the pilot circuit depending on if your accelerating or decelerating.

Its always ran ok, but has always gotten shitty mileage.

That 120 mile ride I did last weekend had a guy on a KaTooM that got double my mileage..... so fuck that HRC mod thing.

Sudco makes a cool conversion kit that uses a Mikuni TM40 carb. It comes with the carb, new throttle cables, extra jets, and a tuning manual. Installation was straight foreward...

1. Remove old crap

2. Install new stuff.

The carb comes with these bitchin billet adapters, so it fits like stock. The only thing you need to modify is cutting off that rubber "Centering Tit" that Honda uses on everything. Its not compatible with the centering tit, but you guys know where to clock the carb.

Here it is, with the tit removed. I just used a razor blade.... done.

Bike started right up, no adjustments needed except idle speed once it warmed up.

Took it for a 20 mile spin. Runs great, better than the OEM carb for sure, especially just off idle. Top end seems no different. The ride was too short to get any real mileage numbers, but it seems better.

If your happy with the power of your BRP, this isnt for you. If the rideability stinks, or your mileage is keeping you worried you wont make the next fuel stop on long rides... maybe it is. Sudco has done a great job with this kit, installation took about 45 minutes and everything is included.

I'm going for a much longer ride tomorrow... and Mr. KTM's GPS matched my mechanical odometer exactly so I can have some real mileage numbers for you.

I'm lovin' it so far....

:wink:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I am currently 100% happy with the carb on my bike but interested anyway. What was the cost for the kit? looking forward to your mileage numbers. how do you like the exhaust wrap....stock header?
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The header was wrapped when I got it, it supposedly keeps the carb cooler and prevents fuel boiling is tight single track type stuff.

I went for a (hard) quicky ride around the block a few times..... Turned in the fuel screw a little.... Gotta' be careful with the throttle. Power is instant, and 100% in sync with the throttle. Whack it in 2nd or 3rd gear too hard, and you'll be on your ass.

This carb is very responsive.

When I whack the throttle in neutral, black smoke (barely) puffs out. I need to dial back the accelerator pump shot a little.

The carb is very close, right out of the box.

Thanks Sudco!!!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

what was the cost of the kit? I just had my Quick silver off cleaning it this weekend. Pumbers are the olny way to get the Pig to get off the honda kill switch.
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"