Gen 5 CR500 Supermoto

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Johnnymoto

Gen 5 CR500 Supermoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Hey Guys,

I'm John from the Netherlands, currently i'm busy building a gen 5 Supermoto.
When it is finished it will be a pretty custom bike. On a Belgium forum you can see what the progress at these day is. In the introduction page you can read about my history white bikes. This is my first CR500 build so here and there i will need some help of the veterans!!!

Link ---> http://www.supermotard.be/phpBB3/viewto ... 14&t=22009

Now i'm at the point to align the engine, my question to you guys is what the distance must be between the frame and the engine. In the picture below i have make a litlle drawing.

Hope that someone got the right answer for me!

To give you a idea for what this bike must look like when it is finished here are the plans:

It while be a full supermoto race bike, with everything on it!
What i've already got,
- Beringer 6-piston brake kit
- Boyesen reed valve (pro reeds)
- Wiseco Clutchbasket
- CRF250 2010 frame
- CR500 1997 engine
- Special Aluminium tank
- Lots of drive to finish it!!

For a living i'm a Cad/Cam engineer, the components that i made by my self are:
- Tripleclamps
- Wheels (not the final drawing, spokes are to thick)
- Swingarm
- Footpegs
- Y piece
- Ignition cover
- Clutch cover
- and lots of little stuff

Here are a few pics of what i already putt on paper!

Tell my what you think about it!!

Greetz Johnnymoto
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Welcome, here is a Gen 5 conversion that turned out great, you should have no problem making the custom Y section that really makes this a special build.
http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... hp?t=10357
Keep us posted, something's wrong with that other site, I can only read about every 15th word :lol:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mount the pipe up, and that will give you a good idea where to clock the motor at....
killtman

Post by killtman »

Hey Johnny!

I'm from Belgium and work in the NL (Maastricht) and recently build a Gen5... it's all here

I look forward for more news about your project. Don't hesitate to ask me if you need some help (In english, I'm not from flanders and although I speak dutch too, my english is better)

See you, mate
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Quick update:
- Picked up the orderd clutchbasket
- revisionkit for the de PJ carb.
- Picked up a test exhaust to align the engine
- Made a test Y piece to check everything before i make it in aluminium
- Had some contact with GMX Radiators from the Uk to make a set of custom radiators. They said that they need the complete bike to make them so thats not going to happen!
- Triple clamps almost finish
- Boyesen Reed Vavle not yet here

Pics:

oldie 30

Post by oldie 30 »

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but your pipe looks a bit high and the motor could be cloaked a little further, mine is a 2011 crf250 and was able to get the forks to clear the front wheel at full compression. Although that shouldn't be aproblem with 17's. I didn't have to cut the pipe.
When you build your swing arm allow yourself enough room to run a 160-165, it can't go on because the edge rubs the chain. I have a 3mm spacer between my sprocket and hub and a 2mm in front. I would probably use an old front sprocket and machine it so I can get enough gap in the front,[bring it out] weld my good sprocket to it and run a 6mm spacer on the back.
I run a STM slipper on mine and have changed the secondary spring to the lightest one. Haven't had much chance to ride it because of the weather, will know how it goes in a month or so.
Last edited by oldie 30 on September 24th, 2012, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldie 30

Post by oldie 30 »

I would give the ali tank a miss there's not much room in there and those tanks add volume to the bottom where as the IMS and clark add it too the top.
Beringers are top brakes but take some time to get use to, they are outright dangerous in the wet. Radical are said to be harass.
Brembo's 16x18 are nice brakes they don't have the stopping power of the beringers but add so much feel. You can grap them in the middle of the corner and still stay upright.
Oh when you design your swing arm allow an extra 10mm in the chain adjustment. If you run the standard off set, you can move your wheel forward and probably get down to a 14-16mm off set. Standard length seems to be OK.
oldie 30

Post by oldie 30 »

I've been wanting to cut one of the brackets for the bottom chain guide and run a different set up. there a fucken pain when your trying to put a wheel on. When you get that sorted can you send me one. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Your triples look Ok but the dimensions of the top tubes of the showas have changed. The clamping area especially at the bottom clamp is smaller. Design your triple with a three bolt clamping system top and bottom. Measure clamping area on the bottom and design them so when you drop the forks down at least two of the bolts are on a good clamping surface. When you lower the off set speed and grip is better mid corner.
Trade offs are in the entry and exiting. I think they run a 22mm standard.
Run a KTM bend handle bar they give you heaps of room to sit under them and on the tank when cornering hard. You want to be able to lower your forks in the clamps between 15 and 25mm, design you handle bar clamps to allow that, either by having different positions for each off set. When you get that sorted can you send me one :!: :!: :!:
oldie 30

Post by oldie 30 »

Wheels are very inportant and I don't doubt your abilty, alot of research has gone into what is available. Use spocked ones if your jumping, Aphina are the best talon are good.Riding on a ratshit wheel is like riding on a flatty.
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Made some Y-pieces this weekend for the gen 5 ---->

I'm looking for the cases for a '85 500, has anybody here these for sale?

You can contact me at johnvandersanden12@gmail.com

Greetz Johnnymoto
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Is there any difference between the cases of a '85 and a '86?

Thanks!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if your ignition covers arent butt ugly theres probably a few people that might want to buy one if you make extras

are the footpeg mounts aluminum? thats the first time ive seen that, nice
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Just finished the drawings of the custom clutchcover-->

I don't know what color to choose!

(Luxury problem)

Greetz johnnymoto
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Finished the rails today -->

Next weekend i'm going to make the headstay and the two brackets to weld on the rails.
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Just finished the conversionkits for a Gen 5 bike. They are for sale too, so if anybody is interested send me a message at johnvandersanden12@gmail.com!

Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Wow the Y looks so cool - very much like an OEM Yamaha Y

Not sure about the billet rails but they'll likely be strong

Good work!
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Gmbond wrote:Wow the Y looks so cool - very much like an OEM Yamaha Y

Not sure about the billet rails but they'll likely be strong

Good work!
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

You do nice work!!

Again the Y looks awesome!

And the clutch basket looks friggen sweet too, any reason why you made that rather than run a Hinson?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

next question, can you make that basket as steel, i want a big heavy beast :lol:
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Gmbond wrote:You do nice work!!

Again the Y looks awesome!

And the clutch basket looks friggen sweet too, any reason why you made that rather than run a Hinson?
I don't know what a Hinson clutch costs in the usa but here in The Netherlands they are pretty pricy!
Johnnymoto

Post by Johnnymoto »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:next question, can you make that basket as steel, i want a big heavy beast :lol:
Yes, that's not a problem.
GasIgel

Post by GasIgel »

WOW, awesome build, nice work! :shock:
if you aint mixin' gas, you aint kickin' ass...

CR500 1995
GSX-R1000 K5 Yoshimura