New Gen2 Aussie Member...

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
Gentwo500

New Gen2 Aussie Member...

Post by Gentwo500 »

Hey guys, Thought i'd say hi! My names Matt..

I'm 30 years old and ive mainly been into turbo charged cars ever since I got my license but, after buying a 2002 rm250 about 6years ago and started riding I was hooked! I soon realized that a 2 stroke came on much like a turbo..(I love the way the power delivery is like a light switch!). After getting into bikes alot more I wondered what a 500cc 2 stroke would be like, then after doing abit of research I found out about the cr500 AF's.
From then on I knew which bike I wanted next!

As it turns out I kind of rushed into buying the bike I have now, but it is what it is, and it's given me something to work with. After being involved with cars alot I think I almost love working on things more than riding/driving them lol!

Anyway here is the bike how I bought it (2000 model frame 2001 model motor I belive):

I rode it once then discovered the water pump seals and shaft were gone and it was leaking water into the box oil :( so im replacing those parts and while i'm at it i'm doing the clutch aswell as it feels pretty notchy:

Some new clutch parts :)

So one of the things I dislike the most about the bike is the rims, Someone has painted them black and it is chipping off like crazy as you can imagine! So id like to buy some new black rims with red hubs. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to buy new wheels from??

Well sorry for the long post everyone! can't wait to gather some info from you guys!

Cheers Matt
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

Welcome mate where abouts in oz are you
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Gusaberg75

Post by Gusaberg75 »

Welcome to Banned, great to see another Aussie.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Welcome. Did you buy that bike out of California I feel like i have seen it before.
Kevin
Gentwo500

Post by Gentwo500 »

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm from south Sydney NSW.

I bought the bike off a guy here in OZ but it may have come from the US before hand, i'm not sure how to tell if it was an Aussie or American bike originally?

I just got it back together today, started up an ran fine! Now I just need to get new wheels and plastics for it.. :D
Donny Downunder

Post by Donny Downunder »

Hi mate welcome to banned! Good to see more Aussie 500's 👍 Bike looks good too man hopefully she'll be a good thing. With your rims you can get Excel/Talon wheelsets for about $1200-1500 SM Pro rims are good too but I would steer clear of Warp 9 rims though heard bad things about them, cracking etc. :cool:
95' CR500 Steelie
jr475

Post by jr475 »

If the rims are i good shape other then the paint, we take new stock wheels and powder coat the hubs and rims and then re lace them with stainless spokes. A little labor intensive cleaning the hubs after powdercoating but a lot less expensive. You do have to be careful when changing tires to avoid scrathching the rims.
Enjoy your new found addiction
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

welcome mate
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)