close vs wide tranny

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Tharrell

close vs wide tranny

Post by Tharrell »

I haven't ridden a wide ratio bike so was wondering how much different it is.
I know there are several guys on here that either have or have had both.
The reason is, I went out yesterday for the first time this year (too hot) after cleaning up the jetting somewhat and ran out of gears.
Now, granted I wasn't on a tight trail but, I was surprised when I went looking for another gear.
Truthfully, with all the bikes I have this one unfortunately doesn't get as much ride time as it should, until now that is.

On a side note, this bike has been ported and a lot of other race stuff done to it, I really can't compare it to another 500, just my 480.
I let the local 500 hotshoe ride it and he was impressed.
He has a '94 model and can ride it.
I felt better about it throwing me off now. :)
oldie 30

Wide ratio

Post by oldie 30 »

I have a HRC wide ratio kit in a new 01 motor. I brought them as it has been set up as a supermotard. There are alot of differences.The abilty to hold the gear longer and top end are increased. I would imagine it would be hard for a standard motor to pull top gear in deep loamy dirt or sand.
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

I'd agree with that comment, unless it was dunes. I rebuilt my motor for the Finke desert race this year and put the close ratio 5th into the box which when running 15/40 made it easier to keep on the pipe in the deeper sandy areas and still enough go to round any one up that I came across.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

I'm running 14-45 gearing in a 98 500 only mod made it has a 01 250 digital ignition and find I'm searching for another gear quite often I ride varying terrain single track whoops and wide open desert
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I took the 500 out again over the weekend and found the more I ride this bike the more it seems to be geared really low.
I guess my confidence on it improves.
The ironic part of owning this bike is, I have a nice place to ride just across the street from my house but can't get any one to ride with me.
I'll take any other bike out with no reservations but when I get on this bike or the other 2 open bikes I lose discipline and do power wheelies and other silly stuff!
In fairness, it is geared for a motocross track and I was told by the previous owner that it was setup to race.
Honestly, it's more power and speed than I can use so I'm not complaining. :oops: