Bout to rebuild, need some help/opinions

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
binder man

Bout to rebuild, need some help/opinions

Post by binder man »

Hey all about to go through my 85 500. It appears to have had a fresh rebuild/low hours but it sat outside and the rings stuck. Hone looked good on it and crank seals look good. But while I'm rebuilding I'm sticking new bearings and seals in for good measure. My rod side clearance is .039" I'm waiting on a set of calipers to measure the piston so I know if it's been bored before.

What piston should I stick back in this thing? Are the pistons normally stamped if its a oversize? I've built tons of motors just no bike motors.
black

Post by black »

I think .040 is max but don't take my word for it, double check and the piston is stamped the over size. What do your piston measure? Stock is 89mm.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Sorry.... calipers to measure pistons and cylinders is a no-no.....

:nono:
binder man

Post by binder man »

It's not stamped on but I'm measuring roughly 90.25 or 90.45. I know calipers are a no no. I build motors lol just have no metric mics waiting to find a set. These motors although very simple are a new ball game to me. I'm use to 4.5" bores and you don't dare reuse rods based on side clearance lol that's why I came to the masters for help!
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

AlisoBob wrote:Sorry.... calipers to measure pistons and cylinders is a no-no.....

:nono:
A quality measuring tape will suffice. :lol: I don't think he was planning on using those #'s as clearance values. Probably just wanted an idea of where his engine was, bore-wise. :? You can go up to .080" over (91mm) but some people frown upon that.:wink:
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Nothing to offer on the motor but curious about your log in name. Binder man.....like corn binder?
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
binder man

Post by binder man »

Yes like corn binder. I'm an IH guy and one of my first forums was for
Ih scouts I try to keep my login the same so if there's anyone from
Other forums I'm on it's fairly easy to recognize
binder man

Post by binder man »

And no the calipers are not for final measuring. The calipers are to get a rough idea if worth keepIng. I may just use my standard mics to check for taper and out of round and see if a hone will suffice
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Reason I ask is I have a thing for Internationals too :D
binder man

Post by binder man »

Nice set of ih's there!! You on justih? Those crew cabs have been a dream of mine forever just can't find one around here that's decent!!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

No I'm not on the IH forums, Ive been playing with IH long enough I don't really need help with them. I picked up the king cab in Idaho...flew in bought it, drove to an auto parts store and bought some tools and then drove home. The travelall I bought 2 of for $500 and built one good one out of both. The one I built was actually a 4 wheel drive I turned into 2 wheel because the crew is my wheeler.....didn't need 2.

The travelall is about to turn into a cummins diesel.....crew will probably be next. Crew is 392 w 5 speed now but I drive them both almost daily and could use some mileage. The IH pureist's don't like me much so I usually stay away...at least their not getting chevy 350's!!!

I have 6 IH motors 7 trannys and 4 transfer cases so I'll probably need to build up a scout or something else. The IH's run good.
binder man

Post by binder man »

I can't blame you. I'm keeping the 196 because my old man loves the slant four. Otherwise it'd have a 4.8 Chevy in it. You've just fueled the fire to find another crew cab…that's the set up I want 392 5 speed. Preferably 60 front.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

392 / T36 5 speed....corporate 14 rear, 44 front for now, power steering out of a Chevy, whole brake system out of a Chevy, clutch master from summit.