Gen 4 CRF450X build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

when my chinese rads hit the pipe i grabbed a hammer and went to town, surprisingly they were pressure tight after

the downside to chinese rads is there friggin heavy, i think it was a pound heavier per rad or something like that
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
other

Post by other »

2strokeforever wrote:when my chinese rads hit the pipe i grabbed a hammer and went to town, surprisingly they were pressure tight after

the downside to chinese rads is there friggin heavy, i think it was a pound heavier per rad or something like that
A pound ! Fuck, mine were less than 200 grams per side heavier, and so bloody strong that I dumped the Devol guards ( your hammer attack is testament to that !). With the Devols weighing in at 305 grams the pair, I figure that's about 80 grams to the bad total. I'll carry that around for the saving of around 500 notes ! One less bagel for breakfast before a ride and we're about square weight wise, and I STILL have the 5 bills in my pocket . . . . Bargain !
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Nice work on the Berg other, does that have the slanted engine? last time I heard anything they have gone back to standard configuration. I have a gen4 af, I just had to get a few hassels worked out but it seems now I am well back on track, and now my only problem seems to be my fitness. LOL to much of this :eatdrink:
other

Post by other »

warrnum wrote:Nice work on the Berg other, does that have the slanted engine? last time I heard anything they have gone back to standard configuration. I have a gen4 af, I just had to get a few hassels worked out but it seems now I am well back on track, and now my only problem seems to be my fitness. LOL to much of this :eatdrink:
Yep, the 2012 is the last ever 70 degree Berg, which is why I updated on my old '09. The 2013's will be a standard configuration KTM engine, and consequently of little interest to me. Glad you got hte Gen 4 sorted, they are awesome fun to ride, aren't they ! The one thing I learned with mine is that the headstay is the most important of all the engine mounts in the quest for a smooth, vibe-free bike. Have fun and ride safe mate.
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Enjoy the berg other, it is dissapointing ktm has made the bergs a blue ktm, they should have kept more of the B and less of the K. Curious to read about what you say about the headstay, my vibrations are not super bad but they are more than I thaught they would be, what checks should I do on this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

Hey mate hope alls good head stay looks solid are you still planning a goldfields trip
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
other

Post by other »

Yeah mate, but plans have changed a bit now, I'll be on my '09 Berg, and we are only staying in Kal for 1 day now. We won't have time for a ride, but I'd still like to catch up and buy ya a beer ?
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

No stress mate give me a buzz when your coming up
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
kevin_s

Post by kevin_s »

Holy shit on that headstay mate,that is killer.The whole bike came out sweet,congrats.
other

Post by other »

kevin_s wrote:Holy shit on that headstay mate,that is killer.The whole bike came out sweet,congrats.
Thanks Kevin. I couldn't believe how much difference it made to the vibes, the thing is like silk now !