Gen 1 with 88 engine

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Tharrell

Gen 1 with 88 engine

Post by Tharrell »

My buddy Sam is building a gen 1 with an 88 engine from spare parts he and I have.
He's asking me about the swingarm bolt and the water pump outlet.
Anybody have some advice?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Danny Graves had exactly that combo. A longer hose avoided the low style pipe and rear bushings were made for the cases. you can put any 1989+ 125/250/500 case bushings in those if you drill them, some guys have done this. I set the engine on the mill and bore them so its true.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Would it be easier to just put a more modern right case cover on and run the hose up over and down to the waterpump?
The wp cover is cracked and the angled hose connection shows some corrosion so we don't know if it's bad yet.

btw-We both had all this stuff laying around.
He had a '98 AF frame with everything but the front end and wheels, as well as the 500 engine in a steelie.
I had a '97 steelie front end and a PC pipe.
We didn't realize how easy the gen 1 is to convert, with no "Y" to move.
He didn't get a radiator either so, it's a hunt for a stock one or?
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I was able to make the old style water pump work with a copper 90, and the stock 80's cr 500 hoses. I can't seem to get a picture up with my phone right now though.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Half way down page 2 is my nig-guyver hose set up.

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... c&start=25
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com