93 tripple on a 89

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

93 tripple on a 89

Post by lewisclan »

A friend of mine sent this to me any input would be great .

1. a while back I tried to put that newer front end fork assembly (I think it's a 93 or 94) on my 89 and it wouldn't fit. it looked to me like the bottom race must have been larger on the newer bike. would I be able to get newer races to fit in my 89 frame to accompany the new fork assembly? or is there an easier way that I might not be thinking of?

2. I also cracked my side case around the kick starter any ideas what would cause this?
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
britincali

Re: 93 tripple on a 89

Post by britincali »

lewisclan wrote: .

1. a while back I tried to put that newer front end fork assembly (I think it's a 93 or 94) on my 89 and it wouldn't fit. it looked to me like the bottom race must have been larger on the newer bike. would I be able to get newer races to fit in my 89 frame to accompany the new fork assembly? or is there an easier way that I might not be thinking of?

?

You can run the upper race and bearing on the bottom of the clamp but you have to machine down the stem to accomodate the smaller ID of the upper bearing.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
pozz907

Re: 93 tripple on a 89

Post by pozz907 »

britincali wrote:
lewisclan wrote: .

?

You can run the upper race and bearing on the bottom of the clamp but you have to machine down the stem to accomodate the smaller ID of the upper bearing.
do you run into these issues when using the 96 or newer parts on a 1989.My old girl needs help :(
pozz907

Post by pozz907 »

well after my triple trees sitting at a machine shop for over 2 months,I finally went and got my parts back.Un touched....
I augered out the bottom holes with a drill.A red bull can made a perfect shim for the top holes.
The bike rides awsome with the rebuilt 99 shocks.Over all it took me 1 day to complete after waiting 2 fuckin months for the POS machine shop guy.

btw .... I HATE MACHINE SHOPS-I get screwed with every flippin time
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Messing around with vintage bikes, we often swap forks and run into a triple tree problem.
More often than not, we can press out the stems and press them into the tree we want.
My buddy was starting to machine one on the lathe one day and I simply said, why not swap the stems?
He looked at me like he had seen god. :lol:
Apparently, he hadn't even considered it.