Airbox for '06 kx450 frame?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
nine-eight

Airbox for '06 kx450 frame?

Post by nine-eight »

Sooo I've got a kx550 in a '06 kx450f frame... its using a cylindrical air filter and a 45 pvc elbow for the airbox system :lol:

I've also got an original kx500 airbox and filter, but before I start cutting things up to make them fit, has anyone found a better airbox solution for this frame?

Eric
freeride588

Re: Airbox for '06 kx450 frame?

Post by freeride588 »

nine-eight wrote:Sooo I've got a kx550 in a '06 kx450f frame... its using a cylindrical air filter and a 45 pvc elbow for the airbox system :lol:

I've also got an original kx500 airbox and filter, but before I start cutting things up to make them fit, has anyone found a better airbox solution for this frame?

Eric
Did you read the name of the website before you asked this question. Maybe introduce yourself in the introduction section before you start asking questions about a kawasaki on a honda website. :shock: :roll: :evil:
Kevin
nine-eight

Post by nine-eight »

Oh, i was unaware that an airbox question would be offensive to you. given the lack of A/F forums, I would think someone here might possibly have some input for me

I should've known, you know, given that I ride a different colored bike than you. what in the hell was I thinking. I must be missing the point entirely. :roll:
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

nine-eight wrote:Oh, i was unaware that an airbox question would be offensive to you.

I should've known, you know, given that I ride a different colored bike than you. what in the hell was I thinking. I must be missing the point entirely. :roll:

If this is the attitude, and the kind of replies to expect, then methinks I shouldn't be here at all.

HAHAHAHA if your as thin skinned as your showing yourself to be then this is not the place for you at all. It is a cr500 website and your first post is a question about a kawasaki and you expect someone not to give you some shit about it. Take a deep breath, remove the panties from your vag and it will be ok. Also not many people here have a problem with kx500 as it is a big bore two stroke as well, we just dont like cry baby douches.
Kevin
nine-eight

Post by nine-eight »

LOL okay, point taken.

I havent spent much time on here so yes, I was shocked to see the reply you gave.

between cars and dirtbikes, I've seen a lot of elitism about how guy x is a loser because he rides brand D/A/Q/ whatever. made as much sense to me as a belt buckle fax machine. your reply didnt reflect much humor on the topic.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

nine-eight wrote:LOL okay, point taken.

I havent spent much time on here so yes, I was shocked to see the reply you gave.

between cars and dirtbikes, I've seen a lot of elitism about how guy x is a loser because he rides brand D/A/Q/ whatever. made as much sense to me as a belt buckle fax machine. your reply didnt reflect much humor on the topic.
Having a thick skin is mandatory around here for sure. Welcome to the site man and im sure someone more knowledgeable then me will chime in and give you the answers you need. Post some pics and that will help as we are like small children and like to look at pretty pictures. Is there not much info on kx500riders.com ?????
Kevin
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

nine-eight wrote: I've seen a lot of elitism about how guy x is a loser because he rides brand D/A/Q/ whatever.
If its built well ( no matter what it is..) its generally welcome here.

If its a piece of shit, or the poster is.... better batten down the hatches.

If you post up some nice T & A shots of your hot girlfriend, we may not even bag on you too hard.

My biggest gripe on the KX500, is the tranny seems to be made out of glass.

Nice motor other wise.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

id try and keep the 450 airfilter assembly cause its big and less likely to let dirt by
theres lots of kx500af out there, copy
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
nine-eight

Post by nine-eight »

AlisoBob wrote:
nine-eight wrote: I've seen a lot of elitism about how guy x is a loser because he rides brand D/A/Q/ whatever.
If its built well ( no matter what it is..) its generally welcome here.

If its a piece of shit, or the poster is.... better batten down the hatches.

If you post up some nice T & A shots of your hot girlfriend, we may not even bag on you too hard.

My biggest gripe on the KX500, is the tranny seems to be made out of glass.

Nice motor other wise.
LOL sounds good. I'm pretty happy with the bike, there are only two things I'd like to fix... one, the airbox setup - worked well for the guy hillclimbing it, but for what I'll be doing I think something more sealed would be nice. two, there is no mount connecting the head to the frame.

I didnt even know there was a kx500 site, most everything i looked at directed me to here for A/F conversions.

Beyond that, the bike runs great. the guy really has it dialed in well and it runs like a top. the welds are decent though not as pretty as the stockers. it was a sponsored racebike in the billings, mt hillclimbs and is running .040 over to make it a 550 and a milled head for leaded 110 race gas. I'll see if i can throw a photo up. Mind the numbers, I can't claim them and they are gone now.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

Wow, no headstay and MPS. Dude, you have some work to do or that thing is going to rattle apart. I'm not cracking on you but get to reading lots of good info on here.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

no headstay and pvc intake tract.... MPS, shoulda seen that one coming

i would be stripping it down and looking real hard for cracks, if it has any hours on it there will be some
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
nine-eight

Post by nine-eight »

I agree on the headstay. as far as tne bike, however, Its a good bike. it has been ridden in competitive hillclimb events where everything has been tuned. I have three pipes that came with the bike. I have no worries whatsoever about the integrity. there are some points that i'd like to address, but thats good because I build shit. for whatever the bike is, it rides better than any dirtbike i've ever been on.
ridin4fun

Post by ridin4fun »

98, you're happy with it and that's the most important thing. There's some decent info on the kxrider.com site....not NEARLY as much good info as on here, but plenty of good tips nonetheless. I'm currently watching my fab/weld man build a KX conversion (07 KX250F frame) for a mutual friend. I loaned him a 98 CR250 airboot and it fit around the shock really nice. He cut a template for the front of the airbox, then cut and riveted on a piece of 1/8" aluminum, similar to what many have done here. Then he cut out the hole and mounted the Honda boot and filter ring/cage. This all left him clearing the shock just right but the carb ended up around a 1/4" shy of the intake. He intends to tighten that up with a reed spacer....done. It all looks really nice. Which, by the way, so does yours. Get that headstay done up pronto and take 2stroke's advice and look REAL HARD for cracks. These frames sometimes crack from the factory and they can sure as heck crack after we treat 'em to some whack and tack. Better safe than sorry. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

MPS conversion's have a bit of a reputation around here is all 2 stroke is trying to say, that being said look close as they were not known for quality fabrication...meaning poor welds, PVC airboots no headstays or poorly designed ones etc. Not trying to throw your bike under the bus but a little time spent going through it and cleaning up some of the fab work will help out on your overall enjoyment in the long run.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Lmao. As I scroll down what do I see? An MPS sticker. Welcome to the club Sparky. I got ass raped by that son of a bitch too. Just like me, you found this site too late. I've posted plenty about him and his work. Best of luck getting that straightened out.