most lug

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Polished

most lug

Post by Polished »

I just wanted to know whats the biggest lug mx tire money can buy

thanks
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I haven't personally used it, but I keep hearing the IRC M5B has some of the biggest tallest lugs...

And looks priced quite reasonable... It's on my list of tires to try out soon.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Biggest Lugs I think is that tanker of a rear tire they call the Terraflex, second probably the M5B. I have run the M5B and love it, but it goes away too quick in the rocks behind my house. I like big lug tires so I run an IRC VE33 backwards and that is my all round big lug favorite.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

140/80/18 IRC M5B is a big squishy sidewall and monster knobs, it has more traction than any other tire on any terrain (except a paddle in sand)

since it has a nice thin sidewall its only a pound or so heavier than a regular tire, but double the traction

cause the knobs and sidewall are so tall you can safely run very low pressures, for even more traction

the soft sidewall shapes to the ground and even when theres no knobs left it still grips good (it does what TT users think their trials tires do)

the bad, big balloon tires arent the greatest for fast corners, there unpredictable when they let go, and if you let off and it grabs you will highside almost for sure

it seems like the front end plows a bit in corners
raises the seat height 1-1.5"
makes gearing faster
at low rpms it will stall way easier than any other tire cause it wont spin, gotta use the clutch like there free

VE33 is like the M5B but it has more knobs to last better on harder terrain but its the same idea, my 2nd fav tire

terraflex weighs 20+ lbs and has a stiff sidewall, that makes it useless for my kind of riding
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Polished

Post by Polished »

Im looking for a tire to help with wheelies

right now my bike spins to much to wheelie off road

off topic but kinda on topic

i found one stip of dirt about 1/3mile long where you can not break lose with a cr500 doing a 1,2,3 drop its crazy, you can try as hard as you can and the bike will just flip over, the top 3/4'' is soft and under that is hard
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Not sure why 2strokeforever has problems with it, but I have always used the IRC M5B on my 99 steely and I love it. I dont have any "near highside" issues nor do I have stalling issues at low RPM's, even when doing low RPM engine braking. Very predictable tire for me, but Ive been using the M5B's for the past 8 years. Its the only rear Ill ever use on my bike. I also use Maxxis IT tires up front and I dont have any problems with the front end plowing in fast corners. I dont ride track, just dunes and fast desert trails.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

B440

Post by B440 »

I understand how freaking heavy the terraflex is, but it's the only one that's DOT approved for road use and will definitely outlast the others.

Just throwin that out there for your info :wink:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

its my favorite tire by far, but it does have its weak spots

the highside problem only happens when youre 4th pinned drifting around a gravel road corner with 4 psi
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

2strokeforever wrote:its my favorite tire by far, but it does have its weak spots

the highside problem only happens when youre 4th pinned drifting around a gravel road corner with 4 psi
Wow 4lbs ? Id be afraid of peeling the tire off the rim. I run mine at 8-10 lbs.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

I just did a random search on this tire, read a post on another forum from a guy that ran it with no valve core! :roll: When I bought my YZ 465, it had one mounted, and my first thought was "what the hell is this piece of shit?!" :lol: Judging by how horrible the rest of the bike was, I really gave no thought to cutting that bastard off (since it was so damn stiff I couldn't spoon it off for the life of me). It looked like something from the stone age. I'm now wishing I would have at least tried it.... :x
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
jar944

Post by jar944 »

Another M5B user here, hard to beat when you need traction.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

One reason 2Strokesforever can get away with 4psi, is hes running a TUBLISS, which basically acts a 360 degree rimlock/beadlock, so it shouldn't be able to get peeled off the rim...

I'm kinda funny about tires in that i like a rear tire that lets the bike turn and handle well without interfering and pushing... I've "never" had straight or acceleration issues that i've attributed to a poor rear tire, but i've had rear tires that i've found i don't like how it makes the front end push..

I've also noticed how tall and sharp fresh knobs make the back end a little squirelly on grass track sections, they tend to feel like theyve got tons of traction only to let go very suddenly and with no warning.
jar944

Post by jar944 »

Gmbond wrote:I've "never" had straight or acceleration issues that i've attributed to a poor rear tire,
That really depends on the terrain and what you are trying to accomplish.
Any place you would consider using a paddle the M5B is a good alternative. You still have good traction and tire life with the ability to ride trails.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

jar944 wrote:
Gmbond wrote:I've "never" had straight or acceleration issues that i've attributed to a poor rear tire,
That really depends on the terrain and what you are trying to accomplish.
Any place you would consider using a paddle the M5B is a good alternative. You still have good traction and tire life with the ability to ride trails.
I don't think any knob tire will perform like a paddle in the sand. or cinders for that matter.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I lip like I care about it, but in actuality I will run anything and more often than not I am running my friends take off tires because I am cheap and rip through tires so fast I just don't care whats on the back. I am a little more particular about the front.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Rhino89523 wrote:I lip like I care about it, but in actuality I will run anything and more often than not I am running my friends take off tires because I am cheap and rip through tires so fast I just don't care whats on the back. I am a little more particular about the front.
:lol: :lol: :lol: My kinda man, right there!
Kartwheel68

Post by Kartwheel68 »

Pirelli MT16.
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Polished wrote:Im looking for a tire to help with wheelies
Wheelies,( mono's here in OZ )
i get them easily ..... just hit the gas faster and longer.
i spend more time shifting my weight & using the clutch to keep the bastard front wheel on the ground!
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Chunky tyres aside ( sorry for the hijack )
but whats the right tyre pressure for any one given terrain...ie...
Sand
Mud
Hard pack
Clay .... wet .... now thats hard to grip on.
Rocky

CR250 97
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

asteroid500 wrote:Chunky tyres aside ( sorry for the hijack )
but whats the right tyre pressure for any one given terrain...ie...
Sand
Mud
Hard pack
Clay .... wet .... now thats hard to grip on.
Rocky
Don't ask me, I was "playing" with tire pressures on the weekend and ended up with my ass kicked and the bike lying on top of me, still running, with the rear tire wanting to chew my head off. I no longer remember what my tire pressure was..... :lol:
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

[quote I was "playing" with tire pressures on the weekend and ended up with my ass kicked and the bike lying on top of me, still running, with the rear tire wanting to chew my head off[/quote]

Like we all havnt done that before ..... LMAO

CR250 97
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE