Not an A/F, but my 96ktm300/04kx250f

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
jeezo

Not an A/F, but my 96ktm300/04kx250f

Post by jeezo »

Hey guys, just started posting, been building a 04 kx250f with a 96 ktm300 engine in it.

Ktm frame cradle is spliced into the kxf frame, frame is cut out a little for the kicker to clear.

major mods to radiators,

steering damper mount is all homemade stuff,

engine is fresh rebuild w fresh plating, new bearings in wheels, linkage, etc,

kxf airbox w ktm boot was lucky fit.

got some good footpegs, IMS tank, new seat cover, new cycra handguards, new brake pads

laced 18" rear wheel

suspenders revalved for me by local guy, (i'll be riding woods, very rarely on an mx track.

Feel free to ask any questions or offer any criticism or advice, I'm all ears, this is a cool site, lot of good work going on here, I'm glad I rediscovered this place.

Current state:

Last edited by jeezo on May 13th, 2012, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeezo

Post by jeezo »

I have a more extensive build thread on TT I could copy over if there's interest.

major issues left are fabbing a skidplate and need a longer throttle cable. I guess I'll have a custom made. I have no way of knowing what longer OEMs will work. Any ideas?

Small issues are silencer hanger, need air filter and new filter holding method, bleed brakes, finish assembly.

Also I ran the engine for maybe 6 hours after engine rebuild but since the swap it has not been run, so also the coolant system has never been tested, kinda a shot in the dark there. I had to run the coolant behind the cylinder because the rads were in parallel on the KTM and there's NO room in front of the cylinder. I still have spark but having not run the engine since the swap started I'm sure I'll have kinks to work out.

Project is 90% done, 80% to go, lol. at the end the little things drive me nuts.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I do have a suggestion for ya, add a couple hundred more CCs :wink:
you do realize this where you are right?

just giving you shit, nice build and welcome.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
jeezo

Post by jeezo »

ya, i realize I'm on a cr500 forum, but I figured what the hell, you might find it interesting since it's similar work to what you do.

I'm surprised I havn't gotten more response though, lemme know if you like it, hate it, etc.

In retrospect I picked a difficult swap, but it's been doable. I had no info on anyone doing a swap with this chassis when I began.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Well, heres my response, if not more of an observation. Interesting project, hope it works for you. Cool that you are doing something unique, to give you the bike that suits your needs. I bet that 96 KTM chassis left a lot to be desired in the suspension and handling dept. Find a better place to hang the motor.
I think the silence may be an indication that you are in the wrong place, your build has nothing to do with Honda in any way. Nor is it an AF build of any type. Steel Kawi frame with a KTM motor. See where I'm going with this? Maybe we are just a bunch of purist snobs around here, but that could be it. I doubt the fact you're building it is a problem, just maybe it belongs in the B.S. section. It's not even a problem that you are a member here, it's just the project you're posting about. Having said that, as long as YOU are happy with it, that's what matters. Get it done, and go beat it up. Enjoy.
Wish I had a mid-bore 2-stroke my self, because at 265 in gear, my 250 is a little shy on power, and especially bottom end. It's the bike I ride where the track is so tight and technical, a 500 is flat out, too much motor. For me, anyways. Then again, I'm not Roger Decoster.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Its not a Honda yes. But I think he's putting a blown up 4 stroke chassis to good use. Albeit it looks a bit funky in this stage - definitely do something about that silencer. I'm curious to see how it turn out.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I think its pretty cool, I really like the custom builds and anything that someone wants to build to personalize for themselves.

Those magnum forks on the KTM used to be a hot setup for the woods guys around here, I saw them installed on everything from XRs to CRs, and all other brands and models....

I'm SLOWLY getting around to a mix-up bike of my own, using a 1989 yamaha DT200 2 stroke (electric powervalve, liquid cooled, counterbalanced motor) put into a 2002 YZ125 frame. It also will be a "cheap" project and I'm doing it because i want to, not because i have to or need to.

BTW: I hunted down your thread on TT to see some more detail
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

C'mon Mike, lets be serious. You KNOW you have to. In that "Lookin down the bar at 2am at that skanky little "butterface" tramp who you just KNOW has the clap but, all the OTHER options dried up and, well, fuck, you're just takin one for the team, cuz if you DON'T, yer takin matters into your own hands at 3 am" kinda way. :twisted:
Should be a fun woods bike, though.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I don't have any issues with you posting your custom build here, it's the other site with the purest snobs :lol:
We don't care if you have a 500, but as stated be prepared to catch all the crap flinged your way.
if you hang here long enough, you will be looking at getting one of these big bores yourself. have fun and post away! $.02
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
jeezo

Post by jeezo »

I'm prepared to deal with an onslaught of mudslinging if that's how you guys feel, lol.

despite not being an AF or a 500, it is being done for similar reasons to all your AF swaps. Getting an old, powerful engine into a better handling modern chassis.

I ride alot of tight nasty singletrack, and I don't think I want to wrestle with a 500 in the thick stuff. That being said, I am looking out for a cr5 and newer chassis to build a plated sumo.

btw, i still have that marzocchi magnum fork, and it's got super low total time, and about 3 hours on fresh seals, bushings, and oil. Not looking for big money out of it, lemme know if anyone wants it.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

I ride alot of tight nasty singletrack, and I don't think I want to wrestle with a 500 in the thick stuff
a well setup 500 will walk away from any 125 200 250 or 300 in the tight nasty stuff :wink:
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish