Project "YEAH ITS A GEN 1, SO WHAT?"

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I run Zerex G-05 in everything I own...

Jetting sounds fat...

You said its "stock"

WTF does that mean?
USMC 500

Post by USMC 500 »

By "stock" I mean stock carb and standard settings per Honda....

Air Screw 1 1/2 turns out
Slow Jet 55
Main Jet 170
Needle R1368NS 4th position from top

4000 ft elevation
Maxima Super M pre mix 40:1

I have not pulled the reeds yet to inspect them.....While the bike is down for the water pump seals I'll pull the reeds to check them.

I'm sure you are right about the jetting sounding fat since my stupid ass just looked in the book and saw that for my altitude and temperature I should be running about a 165 main, 52 slow, and 2 turns on the air screw.

I've been riding nothing but fuel injected track bikes at willow springs for the last few years and have become retarded about jetting.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You might want to even go leaner than that, as the temps warm up going towards summer.....

Make sure your grips are in good shape too...

:wink:
USMC 500

Post by USMC 500 »

Here is the updated route of my radiator hoses......

I figure it looks better and I can now visually see with the tank installed that they are not being pinched. I don't think I have cooling issues but i won't know till I ride the thing. I accomplished this with a series of spare hoses I had lying around that I had from NAPA.

From all these shots you can see that I took 2 lines into 1 with a "T" and ran the hose between the frame and radiator. It was the easiest shot to the radiator that I could create using the available hoses with the different bend and angle configurations I had.

81cr450

Ride report

Post by 81cr450 »

Sposed to be a ride report about it on here today. Looking forward to it. Man that turned out nice & the second cooling routing looks loads better.

Make's me envious of the ease of the gen1 builds.

Also with your signature on KXRIDERS, I really expected to see a big block Chevelle in the garage :shock:
USMC 500

Re: Ride report

Post by USMC 500 »

81cr450 wrote:Sposed to be a ride report about it on here today. Looking forward to it. Man that turned out nice & the second cooling routing looks loads better.

Make's me envious of the ease of the gen1 builds.

Also with your signature on KXRIDERS, I really expected to see a big block Chevelle in the garage :shock:
My Chevelle went bye bye a couple of years ago when some dude offered me so much $$$ that I could not turn it down.....However there is a 1995 Impala SS in my driveway :D
Just got back from my CR500AF's maiden voyage.....I have a big problem.....TRACTION!! This thing is so pipey!! I am so in love and I can't wait for my KX500 project to be done (should be done in about 1 week)........This CR will climb any stupid thing I throw it at. My only issue with the bike is that it keeps me busy with the throttle and clutch through the slow stuff (14/50 gearing). It stalls very easy if I get lazy. And I am not a fan of that PJ carb but it works for now. As soon as I get the $$$ a PWK is going in. This bike is now much more fun as a 500AF than it was as a 250. She sounds so sweet....BRRRAAAAPPP!! Thanks to all of you for the advice on the jetting. I'll have to pull the plug to get a better idea of how shes running but from the seat of the pants feeling she moves like a crack whore running from a rapist!! I forgot my camera :x so I'll have to post some pics on the next one. Here is a list of what I think I might be needing to do to this bike.....

PWK Carb
CR250 ignition
Compression Release Mod on Head
Maxxis Desert IT rear tire

Here is the final Jetting that I ended up with on the PJ carb.........

162 Main Jet
DGN needle clip 3rd position
Air Screw 1 1/2 turns out
48 Slow Jet
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool:
81cr450

Post by 81cr450 »

Teraflex or IRC M5B will help some with that traction problem, little less gear too. Just my .02 . Awesome it's turned out so sweet.

That Impala's gotta be fun, I've got a 91 b-body Roadmaster wagon that I just love.

Now time for that K5 ride report :twisted:

BTW you cant rape a strawberry, just gotta have the crack
USMC 500

Post by USMC 500 »

Just letting everyone know that I'm still alive and that neither my CR500 or KX500 have killed me.......you have to ride for that to happen...hahahha.....

I work on wind turbines here in Tehachapi, Ca and I've been assigned to a new site performing "break in" maintenances on these things.....lots of over time but very little riding time. Things are slowing down soon so I will have some riding reports on my GEN 1.