Kicker Engagement Point

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
CR500PHIL

Kicker Engagement Point

Post by CR500PHIL »

I started my bike yesterday - I have a 1985 engine in a 1997 frame and replaced the internal starter assembly with one from a 1995. I also have a new kicker that sits right between the pipe and tank. The problem is the kicker engages too far back to get a full kick. I could not get the bike started at first. Then when I moved the kicker ahead so it engaged at the top the bike fired right up. Of course when it is this far up it hits the pipe. Could this be caused by the stop or is there some other way adjust this? I lined up the marks as per the book when I installed the starter assembly by the way. On the plus side the engine runs cool and really strong and you have to kick it like the devil to get it going but it runs great. It pulls like a jet. I just have this small kicker issue to fix.
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The splines for the kickstarter and the teeth are not in sync. You can use this vernier effect to reposition the kickstarter by repositioning the shaft assembly.

You can probably get the kicker where you want it (up high) but off the pipe.
CR500PHIL

Kicker

Post by CR500PHIL »

The bike starts so easily now that a shorter kick may suffice anyway - will try today.
Steelie Build Done
CR500PHIL

Kicker

Post by CR500PHIL »

I noticed that stopper plate for the kicker assembly is a different number on the 1985 engine than say the 2001. Does anyone know if these are shaped differently - I mean perhaps one has a steeper angle or is shorter?
Steelie Build Done
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

85-86, 87-88, 89-01 all different
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

There are also coarse or fine ratchets
CR500PHIL

Engagement Point

Post by CR500PHIL »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:85-86, 87-88, 89-01 all different

I wonder then if my 1994 starter spindle (in my 1985 engine) requires the appropriate stopper plate in order to engage in the correct place?
Steelie Build Done
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

match the retainer tab to the kicker arm, you can mix the spindle, but the older coarse ones will not engage at the very top
CR500PHIL

Kicker

Post by CR500PHIL »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:match the retainer tab to the kicker arm, you can mix the spindle, but the older coarse ones will not engage at the very top
I lined up the punch marks on the shaft and gear like the book said. The kicker sits in the right place but moves perhaps 6 inches before engaging and the bike wants a full kick. Once I move the kicker ahead (so it hits the pipe and engages at the top) the bike will fire first kick. The entire spindle is from a 1994. By the "retainer tab" do you mean the stopper plate held to the case with two screws? If so I will order one from the 1994 today.
Steelie Build Done
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

Actually it held with one screw - one hole holds it in place. :D
Steelie Build Done
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:match the retainer tab to the kicker arm, you can mix the spindle, but the older coarse ones will not engage at the very top
The last time when I replaced the kicker gear I removed the clutch basket. Is it possible to get the starter gear out without removing the clutch basket? I ask because if not I will go ahead and order the basket holder tool since I had a hell of a time holding the basket the last time. I ordered a new stopper plate and a new OEM gasket this AM.
Steelie Build Done
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

if you're stuck for a tool

bolt an old fiber to an old steel, that holds the hub and the basket together. shove a penny between the basket and crank gear.
CR500PHIL

Post by CR500PHIL »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:if you're stuck for a tool

bolt an old fiber to an old steel, that holds the hub and the basket together. shove a penny between the basket and crank gear.
I used old plates the last time but for tha sake of $20.00 I think I will just buy one. Besides I have to wait for the parts anyway. So it does the basket definitely have to be removed?
Steelie Build Done
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if not I will go ahead and order the basket holder tool since I had a hell of a time holding the basket the last time
those 3.5 amp $40 electric mastercraft rattle guns make it real easy
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
CR500PHIL

Kicker

Post by CR500PHIL »

I bought the ECB clutch removal tool - well worth the $20.00. I finally got time to replace the kicker stop plate - got tired of re-positioning the kicker every time I started the bike. Once I replaced it, the kicker engaged exactly where is should and my kicker bolt could finally get some Loctite.
Steelie Build Done
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Glad to hear you solved it
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

X2
FPMXer

Post by FPMXer »

Thanks for the info man! My 88' upgraded with a 96' jug and brand new head with the kicker was a mother fucker to start cold! I replaced the kicker piece with that from a 89' and up and it started on the 4th kick! The piece I replaced from the 88' to a 89' and up was a 1/4" difference! Your the shit man!