07 crf250 with 01 cr250 motor

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The piston is reciprocating....

:roll:

There is no gyro effect....

Chain tension ( acceleration / coasting / decelerating) effects suspension reaction.

C/S position has little , if anything , to do with it.

Motor clocking will slightly effect the bikes center of gravity, but I doubt its enough to ever notice.

I like all these theory's though....
seanmx57 wrote: IMO how the motor is clocked is the most overlooked aspect of AF.
I've seen your A/F's.... I'd say proper assembly proceedures is whats being overlooked.
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

C/S position has little , if anything , to do with it
True, and the distance between the C/S and the swingarm pivot
bolt is fixed.
Motor clocking will slightly effect the bikes center of gravity, but I doubt its enough to ever notice.
Also true, except the part where you won't notice it.

Rotating the front of the engine up enough to create clearance for the right
side case cover bolts will have a noticeable (negative) affect on handling.
This is not a gyroscopic effect as you already pointed out, but a center of
mass effect. Manufacturers consider cylinder angle and center of mass
important enough for a fair amount of R&D during new model development.
I've seen the test mules with eliptical motor mounts. The engineers will set
the engine at a specific angle then the test rider will do a couple of laps.
This process is repeated for every degree of change. The data is collected
and the input is processed along with all the other relevant info to determine
the optimal position. Changing that angle willy nilly for a conversion can and
many time does negatively affect handling.

dogger
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The amount of gas in the tank will effect the center of gravity , mass balance, or whatever you want to call it far more than 1 or 2 degrees of motor clocking.

And for what it matters, the center of mass for a CR500 engine is lower than that of the 4 stroke it replaces.....

SO...................

If your really all that concerned about the time, effort, blood , sweat, and tears that the Honda Engineers put into the final chassis layout.... you would want the two stroke engine AS UPRIGHT AS POSSIBLE, to move the center of mass as high as you could to replicate that of the original 4 banger.

Right???

:wink:
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Dogger, you were explaining some fancy physics stuff about the angle that the piston is in affecting things, It was over my head so maybe you can break it down slightly agian. I was under the impression is was considerable different than lower CG.

Bob I'm all ears on your AF wisdom. I'll try to find the thread I put up on that build you are referring to and maybe we can discuss it there.........
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Sure...
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

maybe u guys should try clocking motors around and see what it does or ask some of the speed way guys out their that build their own frames about cylinder angel i have dirt track raced for a bit and have seen lots of expensive hand built bikes not be worth a shit simply cause of the motor angel drop the front of the motor and then hook up tike a train but if u just putts around and enjoy the seanery then yea u wont ever notice it go into a corner at 90 and stay an a 2 ft grove u will need it to have the right cylinder angel or your front tire will push off the groove and your going through a fence then it will matter atleast i can tell dogger rides his stuff
no wing no prayer
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This is Greg Hancock on his GM laydown. Greg's the current World Champ, and is best friends with my friend Kelly Inman.

This is an old style Speedway bike.... upright motor, no leading link front end.

Greg rode one of these out at Perris Sppedway a few weeks ago on a goof during a practice session...

Nobody could catch him on that bike either...

Its the rider, its always been the rider.

If you cant ride a certine "style" of bike...... its you.
omaotek

Post by omaotek »

Damm you guys are hilarious!! I could see if we were talking about a 45-90 degree difference than maybe you could feel a difference but with the slight amount that were talking about I would think Bob is correct that you would feel more of a difference with a full tank of gas compared to a almost empty. Its intresting to hear everyones theroes and thought process.......

Not sure if a previous post was directed to me in regards to actually riding my bikes, but if it was I would love to take you for a ride, drop into a nasty valley, climb out and sit at the top while you beg for help to get your bike out :lol: :lol: .. Although on a circle track you would probly make me look like im standing still :lol:

Got the materials on the way from roosty. Should be here in a week. then I can continue my POS build. :roll:
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

AlisoBob wrote:Image

This is Greg Hancock on his GM laydown. Greg's the current World Champ, and is best friends with my friend Kelly Inman.

This is an old style Speedway bike.... upright motor, no leading link front end.

Greg rode one of these out at Perris Sppedway a few weeks ago on a goof during a practice session...

Nobody could catch him on that bike either...

Its the rider, its always been the rider.

If you cant ride a certine "style" of bike...... its you.

so he would win a mo ped check it out whats your championship statious gregg hankock aint telling people how to build a bike i can ride and have plenty of # 1 thats NIMBER ONE PLATES TO SHOW IT by the way the top speedway guy knows his shit and if that back up bike wasent built right he wouldnt ride it but u know just put it in their it dont matter.... cause its u
no wing no prayer
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

omaotek wrote:Damm you guys are hilarious!! I could see if we were talking about a 45-90 degree difference than maybe you could feel a difference but with the slight amount that were talking about I would think Bob is correct that you would feel more of a difference with a full tank of gas compared to a almost empty. Its intresting to hear everyones theroes and thought process.......

Not sure if a previous post was directed to me in regards to actually riding my bikes, but if it was I would love to take you for a ride, drop into a nasty valley, climb out and sit at the top while you beg for help to get your bike out :lol: :lol: .. Although on a circle track you would probly make me look like im standing still :lol:

Got the materials on the way from roosty. Should be here in a week. then I can continue my POS build. :roll:
not directed to i dont just flat track actually i dont any more i just ride singel track trail, super moto and ice race not enough people dirt tracking right now good luck on your build
no wing no prayer
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

omaotek wrote:.. I would think Bob is correct that you would feel more of a difference with a full tank of gas compared to a almost empty. Its intresting to hear everyones theroes and thought process.......
You would feel more of a difference if you took a big shit or not in the morning..
omaotek

Post by omaotek »

Some of my best rides are after I take a nice shit!! Expecialy before a big race! I have a hell of a tIme trying to get it to come out!!! :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

do you notice the center of gravity change as your lunch moves thru your intestines :shock:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

omaotek wrote:Some of my best rides are after I take a nice shit!! Expecialy before a big race! I have a hell of a tIme trying to get it to come out!!! :lol:
:woot: :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

If your really all that concerned about the time, effort, blood , sweat, and tears that the Honda Engineers put into the final chassis layout
Actually, I don't think I could give less of a rat's ass what the Honda
engineers did or didn't do.
you would want the two stroke engine AS UPRIGHT AS POSSIBLE, to move the center of mass as high as you could to replicate that of the original 4 banger.

Right???
Uh, NO! What possible benefit would be gained by trying to replicate the
placement and cylinder angle of a 4T engine when using a 2T? Honda didn't
do that with the 2004 CR250 and CRF450R even though both used the same
gen 3 frame. But since Honda did use the same gen 3 frame for the CR and
CRF, it's obvious that frames aren't designed to only work with one engine,
so what's your point again? something about cylinder angle and center of
mass not being any more important than taking a dump before you ride?
I probably should respond with something equally witty, but "why waste
the time" is all I can come up with.

I needs to git back to the shop sos I can finish shoehorning that big 'ol Wright
1820 into a gen 3 frame. Might vibrate a tad, what with just shy of a 1000 hp,
and it might burn my leg with all them cylinders and being over five feet around
and all that, but it should be a hell of a 'climber, don't ya think?

dogger
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dogger315 wrote:Uh, NO! What possible benefit would be gained by trying to replicate the
placement and cylinder angle of a 4T engine when using a 2T?
Uhh...... your the one all impressed by the Honda R&D dept.
dogger315 wrote: Manufacturers consider cylinder angle and center of mass important enough for a fair amount of R&D during new model development.
I've seen the test mules with eliptical motor mounts. The engineers will set the engine at a specific angle then the test rider will do a couple of laps.
This process is repeated for every degree of change. The data is collected
and the input is processed along with all the other relevant info to determine the optimal position. Changing that angle willy nilly for a conversion can and
many time does negatively affect handling.

dogger
Make up your mind.....

:roll: :roll: :roll:
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

Make up your mind.....
Never in doubt. You have enlightened me with your opinion about the
irrelevance of cylinder angles and I have dismissed your opinion out of
hand. Or, to put it in simpler terms, you're free to espouse your words
of wisdom as one of the "leading internet authorities" on Honda CR500s
just like I'm free to ignore you.
Uhh...... your the one all impressed by the Honda R&D dept.
No, just more impressed by Honda R&D than one of the "leading internet
authorities" on Honda CR500s.

I think we understand each other. :)

dogger
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dogger315 wrote:I think we understand each other. :)

dogger
Nope, you speak out both sides of your mouth...
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

seanmx57 wrote:Dogger, you were explaining some fancy physics stuff about the angle that the piston is in affecting things, It was over my head so maybe you can break it down slightly agian.
I'd like to hear it too.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Manufacturers consider cylinder angle and center of mass
important enough for a fair amount of R&D during new model development
they dont give a shit about anything except profit :evil:
remember that year where honda put the oil level bolt too low and were frying engines?
just like how much thought went into determining that the mikuni TMX is the best carb for the 02 and up CRs :bash: musta put a lot of R&D hours on that one
they must have put a lot of thought into their clutch actuator system
what about the leaky gen 3 airboots that they didnt upgrade for 5 years
genius combining an underpowered 125 to a 5 speed tranny
what about the 02 cr 125s having 8 thou piston to cylinder clearance brand new.......
the list goes on
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

Nope, you speak out both sides of your mouth...
Nope! You're being intenionally obtuse.

I said that cylinder angle and center of mass were important considerations
when engineering the engine location in a frame, and that even a few degrees
makes a noticeable difference, and backed that up by citing examples of the
time and effort the manufacturers put into the engineering and testing to
determine that angle. Since everybody knows that the manufacturers are
only interested in profit - right 2strokesforever? Why would they waste
the time and money on this if it wasn't important?

You said that wasn't true and offered this:
you would want the two stroke engine AS UPRIGHT AS POSSIBLE, to move the center of mass as high as you could to replicate that of the original 4 banger.
I said no, and pointed out that Honda used the same gen 3 frame for the CR250
and the CRF450, and why would a manufacturer want to move the center of
mass up just to replicate that of a 4T?

In other words, Honda used the same frame for both bikes. Honda tilted the
250 engine to the optimal angle for that engine frame combo. Honda then
tilted the 450 engine to it's optimal (and different from the 250) angle for that
engine frame combination. By saying that one would want "to move the center
of mass as high as possible to replicate the original 4 banger", is to infer that
in order for THAT frame to work best, you need to replicate the higher center
of mass caused by the four stroke engine when substituting a two stoke engine.

Obviously, that's not the case since THAT frame had been in production as a
two stroke frame since 2002. Honda placed the new top heavy four stroke
engine in an existing two stroke frame and angled it for the best compromise
for fit and center of mass.

I cite this as an example of how frames are not necessarily engine specific
and that careful consideration of many factors goes into the placement of
a given engine into a frame, not the least of which is center of mass.

I'm also out of time and patients on this issue. I have tried to explain a
complex concept the best I can. If you want to respond with more one
line "sound bites", don't bother. If you care to enter into a thoughtfull
discussion on the physics and engineering of chassis dynamics, I'm always
up for that.

dogger
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

AlisoBob wrote:The piston is reciprocating....

A::roll:

B: There is no gyro effect....

C: Chain tension ( acceleration / coasting / decelerating) effects suspension reaction.

D: C/S position has little , if anything , to do with it.

E: Motor clocking will slightly effect the bikes center of gravity, but I doubt its enough to ever notice.

I like all these theory's though....
seanmx57 wrote: IMO how the motor is clocked is the most overlooked aspect of AF.
I've seen your A/F's.... I'd say proper assembly proceedures is whats being overlooked.

Aa: :roll: Go to the dictionary = Reciprocate - to cause to move alternately back and forth .There are quite a few other definitions, for the word, but that is the pertinent one, in relation to this thread.

Ba: - Piston / Pin / LE brg and much of the rod, have significant , alternating thrust forces, that also deliver a rocking effect and alternating giro effects. It can have a marked effect on vehicle dynamics.
Sections of these parts, deliver "Gyro effects", not only the crank and all items attached to it, as well as clutch, gear shafts , gears, partial brg sections - but, we all know that, about the obvious parts. Dealing with the engine here, only.

Ca: Well, you've got that one right!

Da: Well, you've got that, Entirely wrong.

Change the CS position, from what the original one was in the frame you are using, and you will change the suspension performance. Make it higher, and you increase the squat effects, both overall force, and when the pro-squat, takes over.

The above, a higher CS height than std, is The Classic Eff up, that many people do. When you see a bike with the Honda emblem on the clutch cover, angled upwards, at the 'DA' end, you've got the Classic Eff Up, right there in front of you.

CS height, and CS centre to SA centre, is a major tuning aspect. See the amount of Road Racers / Superbikes with adjustable SA pivots.

I'd say, if tech battles between manufacturers ever heat up again, adjustable SA pivot points, will appear on MXers.

If you Are going to change the CS centre height, the preferred change, is to lower it, especially when fitting a much higher HP / Torque engine. Look to the changes Honda made with the 09> CRF450 - I think it was a 5mm lowering of the CS centre, from previous. I'm not sure if the Gen5 250 had the same changes - I'd be surprised if it did not.

There's the possibility of changing the CS centre, to SA centre, distance too, (but this is limited), through off centre Case Spacers, and off centre Case holes.

As a side note, chain roller position, and diameter, has significant effect on chain torque, and on the suspension action. Predominantly the upper roller, but, not excluding, the lower roller.

Ea: Well, it certainly does, and, as the distance of the crankshaft centre, and top end components to the SA pivot point/ engine pivot point, is higher than the SA pivot / case interface, these points are moved more than the CS height. If you couldn't feel the difference, in the engines height, when the engine is rotated , say, with a lowering of the CS pivot, relative to the SA pivot by 5mm, giving a rough height lowering of 20mm at the front top of the cylinder head , and approximately 11mm, at the crank centre , I'd be certain that I had a bloke who wasn't much of a 'thinking' , or 'perceptive' rider.

Sean, is dead on with his comment - for the reasons, I've shown, above.

But, for blokes who think that CS height, does nothing to your handling, I'll leave you to your beliefs. As is often said, ignorance, is bliss. And, pride of ownership / of ones building efforts, can cause ignorance.

As for 'mating' an earlier generation cradle, to the Gen 5 - just make a new cradle. $30 / $40 worth of tubing, then bent, is much cleaner, and stronger, than cobbling more parts together.
cj250f

Post by cj250f »

dogger315 wrote:I'm working on a similar idea using an 09 CRF250R frame and a 00 CR250
engine. I'm still looking at all the options for the frame but to keep the
weight down, I lean toward using the cradle from a gen 2 CR250 frame
instead of a billet cradle. The stock CRF cradle doesn't provide the
needed clearance for the right side case cover which is what jarnott71
was talking about in his post.

The cradle, airbox mod and pipe fitment should be the extent of the major
changes. No reshaping the brake pedal, no problems with fuel tank to head
clearance, no shock spring divot in the center case and the CR250 uses a
single return radiator hose like the CRF.

I know I said in an earlier post, I had planned to go the gen 5 route, but that
frame has too many geometry problems, so I am switching to the tried and
true gen 4. Since the A-kit suspension is only sold as a front and back set,
I will have a trick works Showa short body shock for sale in the near future
for any gen 5 guys that have an extra $3000 burning a hole in their
pocket :wink:

dogger

Hey Dogger, I just picked up an 2008 250f rolling chassis for the same project & was wondering what spacers for the swing arm to use for the correct chain alignment?
Thanks Craig
jayj500

Post by jayj500 »

[quote="ct350trx"]I started a gen5 with a cr250 engine

Where did you get the mounts or who's selling them? I'm working on the same conversion with a 08 crf250 frame and a 97 cr250 motor.

Thanks