My Gen 4... Damned, I miss it.

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
killtman

My Gen 4... Damned, I miss it.

Post by killtman »

Hi Hoons,

before I put a topic about my actual Gen 5, and the whole bunch of comments and remarks about the Y section that will flow, I'd like to share some pics of my Gen 4.

I really think that it was a mistake to sell it. It's the best bike Honda ever build, way better than the Gen 5. I hope that I won't regret too much that bike when the Gen 5 will be finished... wait and see.

I bought this bike already converted and the conversion was a PITA. I broke the frame twice.
I asked a guy supposed to do decent conversion... He did a brand new conversion from the footpegs to a brand new billet Y section.
Know what? Broke it again.

OK, I admit that I ride harder than the average Joe but it was frustrating.

I finally found a guy in the south of France who works at Airbus and welds aluminium on Jumbo airplanes. He converts 500 AF, Kawi 500 AF (also an amazing YZ 250 in a YZ 250f... a beauty!), ... and he did the conversion.
Never broke again, no vibration, just perfect.

This is the last version. Pics taken one week before I twisted my knee and tore the 4 ligaments.

I miss you, darling :(

bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Make sure you put My comments up.

Here , I can be more forthright:

If the fellow that did the work for you, does work in the Aero Industry, I sure would not want to depend on his work keeping me in the air.

As I said, it is truly worrying.

FUCKING Frightening, in fact.

Now to see if this site delivers on it's reputation for calling it as they see it.

Here's a test to see how many people can see a piss poor job, right there in front of them.

I'd have the 'Y', cut out, replaced with something safe, then frame it as a cautionary example of dangerous, sub standard fabrication.

Yes, I'm a 'terrible person', but one that hates seeing such bad work done, that could lead to a damned sight more damage to you than just a blown out knee.

Put the pics, and comments, up. It will be interesting to see how many here think it's an acceptable level of 'craftsmanship'.

Compare it to the Gen 5 of Brits.
killtman

Post by killtman »

I don't want to start a verbal fight for two main reasons:

1) English is not my language, therefore I won't get all that will be said and even if I would, I couldn't fight back as I'd want.

2) I don't fucking care about other's opinion as long as I don't ask for advices.

I just see one thing that to me is the most important : this guy did a conversion on my Gen 4 and I never had one single issue for the next two years. I rode every weeks pretty hard and it was just perfect.

Is the Y good looking? Maybe not... I'm not welder and I can't judge. And honestly it's really not a problem for me.

I had a nice looking Y before. It broke twice.... My last conversion held on and on. What's the best choice?

This conversion has my whole confidence because I already experienced his job and it fully satisfied me.

The whole board may say it's a piece a shit, I will only agree if I see cracks one day.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

bearorso: I think you maybe misread his post. It was the FIRST welder made a mess of it. Second welder was the Airbus guy. I would agree with you though. A shit job is just that. A shit job. If a guy wants lay his life in the hands of a clown, be prepared to suffer the consequences. Death and paralysis included. WHY someone would is beyond me. Especially a guy who has already broken his back. Riding.
killtman: Around here we speak the truth. The unvarnished type. Not the "Sticking my tongue in your ear and jacking you off while telling you what you WANT to hear". Like I did right there. Sometimes the truth is ugly, but it's still the truth. If you choose to risk your safety foolishly, thats your choice. Sadly in hindsight, you may realise you made a bad choice, bit by then it's too late. C'est la VIE, non? Hope your Gen works out for you. If not I'm sure you can find another Gen 4 out there somewhere. Just take it to your Airbus buddy.
Apparently though, you have mastered English to the extent that you used "fucking" in the proper context. Kudos.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Sounds to me like Killtman found someone that has experience in making conversions, also that he has tested his work and is very satisfied.
I'm just jumping in here to help translate because it seems like what he is saying is not neing read correctly.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1314268499

The Gen5 was built by the airbus guy... Uses a very unconventional Y design than also has layered stacks of weld beads all around. I also believe it is billet rails that are tied into the frame cradle tubing in the last inch before the "footpeg pockets"

It has a different way of doing things, and has gotten a bit debated over on the other site.

Personally the Gen4 he built looks awesome, I just don't get the design idea behind the Gen5 and why he did it that way.
killtman

Post by killtman »

scooter5002 wrote:bearorso: I think you maybe misread his post. It was the FIRST welder made a mess of it. Second welder was the Airbus guy.
Bearorso is right, the Airbus guy is the one who did the lqst conversion of my Gen 4 and who converted the Gen 5. He talks about the Y section of my Gen 5 I posted on the other site
killtman

Post by killtman »

Guys,

Let's discuss about my Gen 5 on its own post :wink: I will expose my comments about it there...

What about my Gen 4? Rhaaaa, I'm in love (I guess my premix was a bit rich, I had quite often a black dick :britincali: )
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

I totally agree with you about the gen 4 being superior to the gen 5.
Typical to Honda, they took a good thing and went backwards.

I'm in the early stages of a CR250 build and I would prefer to use a gen 4
frame because I think my gen 4 500 is just about perfect. Unfortunately,
I also want to use works Showa suspension which is no longer being
produced for the gen 4, so I'll be stuck trying to make a gen 5 work
as well as a gen 4 - definitely not the ideal situation.

I know what you mean about selling a bike and later regretting it, I've
done that way too many times.

dogger
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'm never selling my Gen 4 250X conversion.

...nope.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Dogger Couldnt you buy some used Showas off E Bay and a custom set of triples made to fit your Gen 5?
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

Dogger Couldnt you buy some used Showas off E Bay and a custom set of triples made to fit your Gen 5?
For a gen 5, I can get the latest SSF and maybe even the new "air" forks. I
can also get these same forks for a gen 4, and the correct triple clamps are
still available. The problem is the shock.

I guess if the gen 5 proves to be too much of a problem, I can buy the "works"
suspension, sell the short body shock and then try to find a suitable used
works shock from some other source.

Thanks scooter, It's a decent plan B if needed, and something I hadn't
considered.

dogger
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

A good friend of mine bought an 11 450 and bought a brand Ohlins for it. Loves it. That is how I came to own an Ohlins for my 04, because I bought it from him off his 08. Its stock valving and Im 260 in gear. Nothing short of amazing. Cant wait to get it valved for my weight. Ever consider going that route?
If you need clamps, let me know. Im thinking about hitting my billet cover guy up for some for me. Maybe quick adjustments on the CNC and cut yours up too. I had asked him about it before and he said it was a possibility.
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

i like your G-4, looks tuff
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)