window in the intake side of piston on Vertex?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
seanmx57

window in the intake side of piston on Vertex?

Post by seanmx57 »

Forgive me if this has been covered but I have not seen it.

I've seen homemade windows cut into the intake side of the piston on forged pistons, mostly wisecos. I'm running a vertex and want to do this as well. Is the cast piston strong enough? Will it crack prematurely?

Any tips on doing it? Dimensions and location? I was going to drill 2 or 3 holes and connect them with a carbide burr and then radius the edges.

How does it effect the power delivery?
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

I thought the it was more about cooling the piston, but could be way off base on that one.

While you have the piston out try gas porting for better ring seal. I know that's been done with successes on the vertex.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

ask roosty....
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Gas porting?
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

Gas Porting:

http://www.wiseco.com/FAQs.aspx

14. What are gas ports and when should they be used?
A.

Vertical gas ports are primarily used in drag race applications. Lateral gas ports are more often used in circle-track and road-race applications where carbon build up can occur. When gas ports are used, pressure is directed to build up behind the compression ring and seal it against the cylinder wall. This helps prevent ring flutter and extends the power curve upward in the RPM range. Vertical gas ports have the holes drilled from the deck of the piston into the top ring groove and behind the ring. Lateral gas ports are drilled through the bottom side of the top land and extend to the back wall of the ring groove.

maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

waiting for someone in the know to respond to this one.

I asked my 2 stroke tuner, he said the window on the intake side is for motors with small intake ports, and that the 500 ports are huge and window is not needed. Doubt it would hurt. you would shave weight.

Wonder what clyde, or adam's opinions are on this one.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If you going to cut a window this big, you better stick to a forging....
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Thus my line of questioning. I'm a bit nervous about hacking up a good vertex.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I wouldn't on a cast piece... fragging a piston makes for a really bad day.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i've run the piston port on the OEM pistons before, and cut the window taller. I didnt get much time on that piston, 20 hours maybee, until it got leaned out on the road.

Its more of a mod for guys who'll hold the motor at an rpm more than 5000 for a long time. It will add a bit of low end, its smooths out and increases the delivery up top tho.

I wouldn't run it in the bush like 2stroke forever rides, I would'nt run it for an indoor mx bike. motard, dunes, street, desert, long open mx outdoor i'd be all over it.

I run it on my wossner in my bike, I ride it in tight trails and everywhere else, but I can tell where its better and where its hurting me. I'm also running big exhaust duration and other work in this motor tho.

it takes more main jet, atleast 2 sizes, if you were 178 before, 182 is where i'd start. The needle needs to be richer also, maybee a clip position depending on what it was like before.

I know of some members with similar style ports in their motors, Gss did a round hole and i've seen others do the same style thing with 2 holes. I got talked into it by DeWayne Jones, It was his trick really so I wasn't going to post it up. DeWayne sent me an old piston he did for the Honda team with the work done to it so we could reverse engineer it. Since then I've made it bigger or smaller depending on the piston structure and I don't do the full mods he did at the window because i believe it causes too much reversion onto the reed.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yup, DeWayne was the one who told me to put in a window and what size and where. I noticed that I got a lot more bottomend out of my motor after that but combined with my mikuni carb, it just contributed to the jetting nightmare. I actually liked the performance of the motor better without the window, but with really hogged out boost ports and a far widened exhaust port. When I added the window it brought the peak RPM back down a lot and made the bike harder to control at launch, but no faster up the hill. I then added a lot of duration to the exhaust and they brought it back up and made the bike flat out scarry. No one wanted to ride it anymore when they saw me nearly loop it out everytime clicking into 4th up come hill at dumont :shock:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

its a wierd delivery for sure, I was on the ice sunday and with actual traction it got even harder to ride it. It'd take off like a tractor, I'd barely get moving then run it in 4th, easing out of the clutch, roll into a wheelie in the first 1/4 of the throttle, then it'd come into a spazy power 1/2 way into it while trying to yo-yo the tire somewhere between the 2ft wheelie and going over backwards, climbing further up on the tank i could get it set down and carry just at the top of the fork travel then it'd accelerate and blow the tire loose :lol:

It was such a comedy to try and ride it that my buddy Nick that had his gen4 conversion out there too was busting a nut laughing at me. So we switched bikes for a while. He had different picks that didnt hook up, and was geared 14/51 where i was 14/48 with a 2" taller 120 maxxis. I'd had trouble setting the bike up in the corners to get it kicked out, he got right into it but also had trouble keeping the front tire down. About his 3rd lap of the 1/2 mile loop we were making he comes past our group wfo in 5th, then she squeaks 1/2 a lap later :lol:
We did have about 3 hours on the lake by this time and some of the ice fishing guys might have been getting pissed anyways with nick doing 70mph drifting fly-by's 5 feet from their door

I knew i might be a little lean on the jet before i left the house :lol:
So i've got it in the back of my truck with these weapon sharp tires and no plywood for the garage floor to unload it on yet. Maybee tonite. It was 0c on sunday, the high for today is -23c

I screwed up with this p.o.s. Contour camera and missed more than 1/2 the days riding. I was so pissed i didnt even watch all of what i did get but i'll post up some pics or a vid from my phone.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote: It will add a bit of low end, its smooths out and increases the delivery up top tho.

I run it on my wossner in my bike, I ride it in tight trails and everywhere else, but I can tell where its better and where its hurting me. I'm also running big exhaust duration and other work in this motor tho.
Your first statement sounds like it's a win win, your second statement sounds like it hurts performance????

I'm a bit confused by this "hurt" part. What are the negatives if the hole is set up so the reeds do not flutter?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

seanmx57 wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote: It will add a bit of low end, its smooths out and increases the delivery up top tho.

Your first statement sounds like it's a win win, your second statement sounds like it hurts performance????

I'm a bit confused by this "hurt" part. What are the negatives if the hole is set up so the reeds do not flutter?
the motor isnt as crisp a low low rpm, probably below where most guys ride them, but picks up everywhere else.
Witht he other porting ive done its likely still stronger than stock, but over my other bike that bro took i notice it weaker here.

here is where its hurting
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aac4wcEB ... AAAAAAACAA[/youtube]
B440

Post by B440 »

Not sure if it's the camera, but it sounds like a mix between a boat and a 4-stroke :?:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

contour camera, my bikes do sound different :wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus wrote: my bikes do sound different :wink:
Flippin' Canadian gas.....
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

ya, i'm mixing it with baby seal oil too :lol:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Freshly clubbed I hope! Lol
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

I love clubbing. :shock:
I love the sound of that thing ..... fkc Canadian post.
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

The bikes I've ridden with that sounded like that at that pace blew steam a half mile in. But they weren't able to lug even that good.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Never had to add water yet :wink:
B440

Post by B440 »

Now I need a video of you lugging the bike a bit and then winding it out. My bikes only made that kind of sound just before I pop-started them.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwEtSOP ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
the contour perspective, its a hillside but the cameras really flatten it out.

here is bro behind me with the gopro, you can tell he's always a little harder on the clutch
:lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC47BFkV ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
B440

Post by B440 »

+1 on the gopro sound.

+2 on the wheelie :wink: