DB snorkel

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gmbond

DB snorkel

Post by Gmbond »

Any tried one on a 500 yet?

My favorite riding areas are under threat of well, everything....

Wondering if someone had tried one, while the 500 doesn't have the noise that a 4joke does, it still has a unique bark that seems to travel more than my 250 or 125, even though it's not being ridden as hard. Must be something about the size of the piston, but every "pop" seems to carry.

Oh and yes I know they look bad, but not being able to ride local is much worse
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i think a lot of noise comes from the entire bike shaking, and when the exhaust port opens you can hear a pretty good ting that comes from the exhaust pipe, not out the end of the sliencer
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

what supprises me most is,
when they started the 4stk MX scene with the YZF426,
when a failure happend it was 2-3k shy of a new bike to fix it.
My mate Richie suffered this affliction & he came to his sences & got back onto a 2stk.

To day its not as bad as then to repair your crank disintergrated, conrod bent 4stk, but it aint to far off, on top of that your average joe cant just throw the engine up on the work bench, pull it down & reasemble it with complete & utter confidence she will be all good ... unlike a 2stk.

there a piece off piss to fix. :P
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
bearorso

Re: DB snorkel

Post by bearorso »

Gmbond wrote:Any tried one on a 500 yet?

My favorite riding areas are under threat of well, everything....

Wondering if someone had tried one, while the 500 doesn't have the noise that a 4joke does, it still has a unique bark that seems to travel more than my 250 or 125, even though it's not being ridden as hard. Must be something about the size of the piston, but every "pop" seems to carry.

Oh and yes I know they look bad, but not being able to ride local is much worse
Great final words!

Who gives a fuck about looks, and 'sounding cool' ?- if you can ride where you want, without people knowing you're there, that's what counts.

Go to their site - they have CR500 results up on it, both dyno and noise.

I would have got one, years ago, but when I enquired about it, the company didn't seem to want to sell me one, citing the cost of freight, being more than the cost of the unit. I told them, "no problem, I expected that", it still didn't seem to get me anywhere, so I did my own thing.

I make my own mufflers, with 610mm long perforated cores. When freshly packed, the bike is almost moped like in sound, in terms of sound out the end of the pipe. Resonance from the pipe, is kept down by further pipe belly protection (well, the std CRE protector, with better 'between pipe and guard' insulation), plus an insulated alloy 'header to the CRE pipe protector' guard. Then you have the clatter that comes from a big 2ts cylinder / piston. Well, with my drop tank, the top end is completely shrouded. So, no engine noise. Foam in the airbox air entries and the drain slot, with foam over the top of the airbox, lowers the intake noise, as well as really delivering clean air to the engine. Foam between the bash plate and engine, reduces noise.

None of this has reduced the bikes power, as it's all done properly.

I live at the base of the Blue Mountains, on the outskirts of OZs' biggest city. The mountains behind me, have a lot of houses in the areas I have ridden in, for over 40 years. I can ride through the bush, without being heard. So I can ride where I want, basically.

Any bloke (s) I come across, with loud bikes, I approach, and talk to. If they don't take on board my / our requests, I / We take a picture of them, and say if I / we catch them there ever again, with the loud exhaust, they'll get their bike disabled, while we call the trail bike squad in (I've known the TBS leader for well over 20 years, plus my Uncle is a former Assistant Police Commissioner for our state, and most of that side of the family are in the force - it's been a good, get out of gaol set up for me, for many years. Not that I've done anything terribly bad), and / or, I'll / We'll slap some sense into them, if they are too dumb to get the message. I / We've done this many, many times over the years . Pretty much every ride, I / We, have to have a word or two with idiots. There's quite a few local young bucks that have told tales of the Mean / Mad Old Bastard (s) that gave them the scare of their lives, to local dealers.

I've got to know a lot of local residents in the bush area here, over the years, and I and my mates have a great relationship with them. Being nice to locals, pays off, and being nasty to drongos, does , too.

Nasty, yes. Aggressive, yes. But Any prick that risks loosing my and my mates riding areas, that I've / We've ridden, maintained and built, for a few decades, deserves to be treated like the mongrels they are, if they don't do the right thing. I'm wildly hard line on this, and I make no apologies for it.

Inevitably, the loud bikes are blokes on 4ts that go straight out and put a full race system on their bikes, and then just scream up and down the fire trails, with houses on the ridge lines above them. The noise they make is bloody horrendous. I'd be on the 'phone to the cops in an instant, if I lived there. Take those same dickheads into our special test areas / single track, and they can't get through anything, or are as slow as a wet week.

But, 500s do put out a pretty low frequency sound, due to their size, so the sound from them does carry further than smaller 2ts. Not as much as 4ts, off course. So, if you are out in 'the world' , your a bloody idiot, if you don't try to keep the noise down.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Agreed 100%.

Usually the loudest bikes are ridden by the guys who think they are Impressing and amazing everyone by popping wheelies up and down the road, meanwhile we are all hoping they will loop it out!!

I've got Fmf Q pipes on the 500s, a FMF Q-Stealth on 250 and an answer qualifier on the 125.

My XR250 is a stealth weapon however. The idiot previous owner drilled out the baffles in the muffler, And I couldn't find a stock replacement, so with a little work I fitted a Crf250x stock muffler and took it beyond the stock
Stealth. I've caught and passed people in the woods who later told me it sounded like a mountain bike carrying a generator..

On a side note, my trials bike has two different oval silencers, one has a straight thru perforated core called the competition muffler and the other has a wavy perforated core for quieter operation... Why cant we try something like that?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

The noise they make is bloody horrendous
thats the most acurate way ive ever heard anyone describe it :lol:

you dont have to have a monster silencer to be quiet, keep the revs way down if youre near anyone who might care, <2000 rpm a cr5 isnt any louder than an xr200 if you keep it loaded and have a real low idle, fresh packing makes a huge difrence
a little sense goes a long way
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Kartwheel68

Post by Kartwheel68 »

I have the long DEP silencer, its super quiet.