Dynoport anyone?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
johnnytheswede

Dynoport anyone?

Post by johnnytheswede »

Hi guys. Is there anyone here who use the Dynoport pipe on a 500? What is your experience of them?

Johnny
Rot Box

Post by Rot Box »

Never had one on a 500 so I can't say much there. As far as quality I liked the Dynoport on my old ATK 260 so much I bought one for my old RM 250 shortly after. Money well spent on both I liked them a lot and wouldn't hesitate to buy another in the future :cool:
94 ATK 605DSES (XR killer!)
84 CR500R (EG 520cc, PA suspension with 87 cartridge forks, scotts damper, and FINS!)
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Rot Box wrote:Never had one on a 500 so I can't say much there. As far as quality I liked the Dynoport on my old ATK 260 so much I bought one for my old RM 250 shortly after. Money well spent on both I liked them a lot and wouldn't hesitate to buy another in the future :cool:
Ok, sounds great=). My pipe is on the way it seems. I choosed it with their silencer and ceramic coating too to keep heat up for the winter. It will also be wrapped in exhaust heat wrap.

Johnny
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

So what happens if your exhaust doesn't get up to temp, like if you didn't wrap it or coat it.
I'm getting set up for winter fun as well if winter ever comes here.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

id be way more concerned about the antifreeze not getting up to temp, today i went out and the highest i saw was 150F, most of the time it was to low to register
it cant be good to have it pinned and the cylinder not up to the temp thats in mind for proper piston cyl clearances
thermostat, or piece of cardboard covering the rads, a few of those temp strips would be a good idea, 2010 gas gas ec 250 has a nice thermostat, didnt look too hard but i think it would fit the 500

went and messed around in a foot of powder for about 5 minutes... open the airbox door and it was packed with snow past the wingnut :shock:
shut it down and went home, youre definatly gonna need to find a way to keep the snow out of there
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

seanmx57 wrote:So what happens if your exhaust doesn't get up to temp, like if you didn't wrap it or coat it.
I'm getting set up for winter fun as well if winter ever comes here.
You will loose power from lower exhaust gas speed. I,ll wrap it in black exhaust asbestos band, and on that i will put a protection shield, the one that looks like a spine made from alloy. That will protect the pipe and also keep the exhaust wrap in place.

Johnny
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

2strokeforever wrote:id be way more concerned about the antifreeze not getting up to temp, today i went out and the highest i saw was 150F, most of the time it was to low to register
it cant be good to have it pinned and the cylinder not up to the temp thats in mind for proper piston cyl clearances
thermostat, or piece of cardboard covering the rads, a few of those temp strips would be a good idea, 2010 gas gas ec 250 has a nice thermostat, didnt look too hard but i think it would fit the 500

went and messed around in a foot of powder for about 5 minutes... open the airbox door and it was packed with snow past the wingnut :shock:
shut it down and went home, youre definatly gonna need to find a way to keep the snow out of there
hello 2stroke. I will use two KTM 2-stroke thermostats from 2004 model. One on each hose from the head. They are very slim and there is only oneconnection in and one out. I will also cover the rads and see how much is required as i go out and drive.

About the snow in the airbox: That,s no problem as we plow the lake . We use to have a track made that is about 2 miles long, and after each raceday we plow it and pump up water on the track. That way we always have a fresh track for every race. It,s mostly in the corners as there is very deep ruts, about 4" or even more.

Johnny
B440

Post by B440 »

Doesn't pipe temp go like this: Hotter for more top end, cooler for more low end? Just thinking about how the jetskis operate.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

The temperature in the pipe actually determins the speed of sound, the pipes tuned length are based on some predicted gas temperature, I think around 1100 degrees. the colder the pipe the more it will cool the exhaust gases.
This is my understanding of the pipe I could be totally off :oops:

It would be interesting to see what effect wrapping the pipe has on a dyno and taking out the temperature difference. just thinking the reflected sound wave could be effected, like putting a towell around a bell. I'd bet the guys building the hotrod snowmobiles could provide a lot of information.
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Kuma wrote:The temperature in the pipe actually determins the speed of sound, the pipes tuned length are based on some predicted gas temperature, I think around 1100 degrees. the colder the pipe the more it will cool the exhaust gases.
This is my understanding of the pipe I could be totally off :oops:

It would be interesting to see what effect wrapping the pipe has on a dyno and taking out the temperature difference. just thinking the reflected sound wave could be effected, like putting a towell around a bell. I'd bet the guys building the hotrod snowmobiles could provide a lot of information.
Yes, that's the way it works. I checked and read at different forums and they have seen powergains of 2-3 horsepower on the dyno compared to a standard painted pipe. It's also very protecting against rust and looks really good! I just got the pipe and silencer and i must say i'm very satisfyed with how it looks when i check the welds and overall quality of everything. I will try to do some dynoruns next week and see if i can compare the pipe with my PC system.

Johnny[/img]
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

a buddy bought a batch of the dyno ports for the old ktm. basically the only pipe you can find anymore. says theyre well built and a good alternative to a fmf. website says they make a couple versions for the cr500 atleast thats how i understand it. which one did you buy ?

dont know anything about the pipe wrap but i suppose it could work for some situations. but a funny thing if you go on other sites where guys have logged 100 of dyno runs and they aint using it :wink: .
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

100hp honda wrote:a buddy bought a batch of the dyno ports for the old ktm. basically the only pipe you can find anymore. says theyre well built and a good alternative to a fmf. website says they make a couple versions for the cr500 atleast thats how i understand it. which one did you buy ?

dont know anything about the pipe wrap but i suppose it could work for some situations. but a funny thing if you go on other sites where guys have logged 100 of dyno runs and they aint using it :wink: .
Yes, the pipe are very well built. I bought the Big volume MT pipe with silencer.
I think the coating is good as i intend to use my bike for iceracing and the pipe gets very cold. We also have problems to get the engine up to working temp. so i will use 2 thermostats also.

Johnny
Cholo

Post by Cholo »

Johnny, upload pics of the exhaust, please :roll:
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Cholo wrote:Johnny, upload pics of the exhaust, please :roll:
I'm not familiar with how to do picture uploads! Tell me how!
Last edited by johnnytheswede on December 30th, 2011, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josh

Post by josh »

Last edited by josh on December 30th, 2011, 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Cholo wrote:Johnny, upload pics of the exhaust, please :roll:
If you want pictures i can send to mobile phone if i get your number, and maybe you can post it here? My phone number is +46 706 914244

Johnny
josh

Post by josh »

email the pictures to me i will post them. key4202003@yahoo.com
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

josh wrote:email the pictures to me i will post them. key4202003@yahoo.com
Done! tell me if there is any problems!

Johnny
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

500 sumo fun the dirt section is a bit of a task the pavment makes up the time though where u ride on the ice at u commin to the ice national in mi first week end in feb if we ever get any ice :?:
no wing no prayer
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Cholo

Post by Cholo »

Great looking pipe and great looking bike!! The exhaust is very fat like the CPI, but the diffuser and cone angles looks softer. Probably this exhaust give a wider power range. How is it comparing to the PC?
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

jarnott71 wrote:500 sumo fun the dirt section is a bit of a task the pavment makes up the time though where u ride on the ice at u commin to the ice national in mi first week end in feb if we ever get any ice :?:
Hello! it would be great to visit you at the iceraces, but i have quite a bit to travel! I live in Sweden;=)! Thanks anyway!

Johnny
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Cholo wrote:Great looking pipe and great looking bike!! The exhaust is very fat like the CPI, but the diffuser and cone angles looks softer. Probably this exhaust give a wider power range. How is it comparing to the PC?
yes, you're right. This pipe should not be as hard hitting as the CPI. I haven't tried the CPI but i have been "warned" about the CPI's character for road and ice. But for sand dunes where you don't "retake" throttle it is probably good. I'll try to put the pipe on today and maybe take a ride. The problem is that we have minus degrees here and i have the slicks on the bike=). I'll get back if i've ridden it.
Thanks for the input of my bike!
Johnny